Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I'm sure there are many more, especially among the diesel and electric ranks.

:D

Off the top of my head...

Ixion by the mighty Blyth Power (albeit it's not about the RTC 46, however...)

47484 gets a mention in Blyth's 'Some of Shelley's Hang-ups' while all fifty Fifties (in number order) get named in 'Land, Sea & Sky' and there's also their song 'Farewell to Forties' in which Lusitania and Aureol get a mention, while 50026 Indomitable and another 50 are heard thrashing away at the start of 'Me and Mr Absolutely'.

Turning now to the equally mighty railpunks Eastfield, they have the storming 'Class 20s of the Apocalypse' and  '47002'

My Lords!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

2 hours ago, Sandhole said:

I was 9YRS old.
That day is still imprinted on my soul.
RIP to the children and teachers of Aberfan.

On mine also. I was a bit older and vividly remember seeing the headlines in the Oxford Mail from the no. 4 bus I was going home from school on before seeing the television news. Part of the horror was the miners emerging safely from the dangers of the pit and scrabbling with their bare hands to try to find their children but, though their efforts saved some children, they mostly found  only bodies. 

I finally visited Aberfan about six years ago and after paying my respects to the memorial and the cemetery, walked up the hill to find the spring that was under tip no. 7.  It now bubbles out harmlessly amid the bushes on the hillside as it always should have.

While walking along the track of the railway I met a local man walking his dog and we got to talking. He had been a schoolchild in Aberfan at the time, but in the village's other school, and told me a little of how it felt to grow up with that terrible tragedy (more an act of corporate manslaughter) hanging over everything. He also told me how Lord Robens, the chairman of the NCB, had never been forgiven, not just for the disaster itself but for the second disaster of the Aberfan relief fund from which compensation of only a few hundred pounds was made to each  bereaved family because it was thought that any more would "ruin the lives of these working class people, who wouldn't be used to large sums of money".

After challenging the resuilts of the enquiry Robens added injury to insult by refusing for the NCB to pay for removing the other tips. In the end, the £150 000 (around £2.3M in today's money) needed to do so was purloined by the government from the relief fund that had been raised by the public for the victims of the disaster. It was finally returned to the fund by the Welsh government in 1997. 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

Clive, have you got those drawings of the differences for the 47/6 V16 engine loco?

I have just found 2 lima bodies and chassis I forgot I had, and Heljan bogies to go with them.

Actually I know I have another in the loft that was started, with the roof details being sanded off.

Seriously need to sort out what 47 these will become. IIRC this puts me upto 20 ish 47s. How many do I need? 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Dave,

What annoys me about steelies is that what ever lands on your foot hits just behind the toe cap, or at least it certainly seems that way.

Gibbo

I once, several decades ago, cut in to see a friend on the way home from work; I was still wearing my steel-capped boots.  His younger sister, on seeing the rather prominent toecap, made comments about "how ugly" the boots looked.  I explained that the boots weren't designed for fashion, but safety, so explained about the steel lining.  She said that she didn't believe me, would prove I was lying, and left the room.  Five minutes later she returned with a hammer and, without warning, brought it down with some force onto one of my boots.  The look on her face was almost priceless as the hammer bounced ..... She never, ever, criticised any of my clothing again.

• Like 6
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I"ll take that as a yes.

Of course, there are some more-or-less sensible ones, like several other bits of Holst's 45545s.

Let's try:

Wagner's grand opera 70018

A pop song from the 1970s by Dean Friedman, 70016

Lerner & Loewe's 30742

The 30900 Boating Song

A famous hymn tune, 30926

Walton's 34066 Prelude and Fugue

Another pop song by Peter and Gordon, 45519

I'm sure there are many more, especially among the diesel and electric ranks.

Hi Enodoc,

I had to get my 1959 numbers book out to find out what you were on about, with the exeption of 45545 and 70018,. I t would seem that unfortunately 30743 had scrapped by 1959 which meant I had to search the 'tintermunky !

Gibbo.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Clive, have you got those drawings of the differences for the 47/6 V16 engine loco?

I have just found 2 lima bodies and chassis I forgot I had, and Heljan bogies to go with them.

Actually I know I have another in the loft that was started, with the roof details being sanded off.

Seriously need to sort out what 47 these will become. IIRC this puts me upto 20 ish 47s. How many do I need? 

Hi Cheesy

Hope these help.

1469687033_Class48drawing.png.3e1bb222d4f376d53f9b30cae9c5dd55.png

1332907319_roofdrawing.png.a5ecf2baf4b65d210c1825d8f82b4832.png

The roof is more of a sketch. The exhaust are slightly wider than drawn.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Cheesy

Hope these help.

1469687033_Class48drawing.png.3e1bb222d4f376d53f9b30cae9c5dd55.png

1332907319_roofdrawing.png.a5ecf2baf4b65d210c1825d8f82b4832.png

The roof is more of a sketch. The exhaust are slightly wider than drawn.

I need to go to Specsavers. I read that as Basil Brush.

• Funny 6

4 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Hi Dave,

Have you seen this thread ? It has a class 48 as one of the current projects:

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Alex TM said:

Would 'Princess of the Night' from Saxon count?

Well, it is literally about a Stanier Princess, much to the surprise of many a metalhead who have been singing along with it for decades with absolutely no idea...

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

G'Day Folks

Had a similar situation in Oz, Earlier this year there was massive 'Bushfires in Oz, and over $50 million was raised by the public for the victims of the fires, because of the wording, the victims of the fires got 'Nothing' and the Fire Service  got most of it, Even the 'Red Cross only released a portion of the money raised in there name, keeping the Bulk of the money, 'For Future Disasters' the fire victims only go small amount, some I believe got nothing. Call me  a cynic, but charities today think (in some cases) it's there money and 'You' are an annoyance, to there moneymaking.

manna

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Had a similar situation in Oz, Earlier this year there was massive 'Bushfires in Oz, and over $50 million was raised by the public for the victims of the fires, because of the wording, the victims of the fires got 'Nothing' and the Fire Service  got most of it, Even the 'Red Cross only released a portion of the money raised in there name, keeping the Bulk of the money, 'For Future Disasters' the fire victims only go small amount, some I believe got nothing. Call me  a cynic, but charities today think (in some cases) it's there money and 'You' are an annoyance, to there moneymaking.

manna

Terry, that's true enough but one of the appeals launched by a popular entertainer wasn't thought out or set up properly and the money raised therefore could not, by law, go direct to the victims and their families. I believe there is still some legal work going on to see how this can be addressed. As far as the Red Cross is concerned, I don't donate to them any more for exactly the reason you mention. My first-choice national Australian charity is the Royal Flying Doctor Service.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

35 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Terry, that's true enough but one of the appeals launched by a popular entertainer wasn't thought out or set up properly and the money raised therefore could not, by law, go direct to the victims and their families. I believe there is still some legal work going on to see how this can be addressed. As far as the Red Cross is concerned, I don't donate to them any more for exactly the reason you mention. My first-choice national Australian charity is the Royal Flying Doctor Service.

G'Day Folks

Thanks for that St E, I wasn't sure what it was I thought 'Wording' as I knew it was complex. The only Charity I give to now is 'Buy a Bale' for drought stricken Farmers, at least the animals won't starve. (Hopefully).

manna

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Having worked for a charity I now walk past collection boxes, except the Royal British Legion. The success of their CoE is not how well they have supported the people (animals) with the money that is raised for but how much money the CoE can raise. The more money they can show they coned out of governments, local authorities and the public the higher pay packet they get the next year or even better the next charity they work for.

As employers they are absolutely rubbish.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Alex TM said:

Would 'Princess of the Night' from Saxon count?

12 hours ago, Bloodnok said:

Well, it is literally about a Stanier Princess, much to the surprise of many a metalhead who have been singing along with it for decades with absolutely no idea...

Want to bet?

Lots of spotters were into metal, we all knew. Was on their 4th album.

Obvious lyrics such as

Speeding, sparks like lightning
Engine working hard
Furnace on the foot plate
Shining in the night
Iron striking metal
The sound of racing steel
It's all I ever wanna hear
It's music to my ears

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Having worked for a charity I now walk past collection boxes, except the Royal British Legion. The success of their CoE is not how well they have supported the people (animals) with the money that is raised for but how much money the CoE can raise. The more money they can show they coned out of governments, local authorities and the public the higher pay packet they get the next year or even better the next charity they work for.

As employers they are absolutely rubbish.

I donate "stuff" to charity shops and distribute it around them, but resent BIG charity for the same reasons I resent BIG business and BIG government; they become self-serving where the continued existence and status of the organisation becomes more important than achieving the aims of their founders.  They are indistinguishable from big businesses in the salaries of senior executives who ask everyone else to sacrifice a little but seem to be sacrificing rather less themselves.  I agree about them as employers; my sister-in-law has long worked in the third sector and some of the behaviours she describes - which would lead to dismissal anywhere else - are often tolerated in charities because the person concerned is considered too vital to the cause of the charity.  Extreme example, but there's a cultural reason Jimmy Saville got away with so much and for so long.

Shouting at TV adverts urging you to donate "just £2 a month", is common in my house.  They have absolutely no intention of letting you get away with only donating that little; £2 pays for the regular letters and phone calls asking you to increase your monthly donation.  It also allows them to sell on your details unless you have been careful enough to tick off the right boxes.

One of the largest charities, who my wife has donated to for about 20 years, sent a couple of forms to increase her donation, "pre-filled in for her convenience", all she needed to do was sign and send back.  It contained obviously name and address but also all her bank details.  When she rang to complain that it was an absolute gift to fraudsters and it broke data protection law, the response was "nobody else has complained about it".  Just because the general public is too careless with their personal data, doesn't mean we should be.  They were very lucky not to get reported to the Charity Commission and my wife said in no uncertain terms that if she ever received another similar form she would suspend any further donations and inform the Information Commissioner.  When they investigate, an organisation basically cannot trade until the IC are satisfied you are doing it within the law; this could have cost the charity between £5-10M a week.

Re: RBL; one of the things I do like about them is that (well they certainly used to) they pay their CEO relatively little but provide them with a house.  The CEO then has much lower living costs - justifying a lower salary - and the charity retains the value of the asset.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, MJI said:

Want to bet?

Lots of spotters were into metal, we all knew. Was on their 4th album.

Having seen more than one discussion about just how massive a bike it would have to be to weigh nineteen tons, yeah, I'll take that bet...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

RENFE has automatic non stop gauge changing rolling stock.

Mike.

Ah Mike !!! But will your EM automatically change form EM to a proper toy train gauge being as it is now in Spain?

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Thinking back of things, I had a secondhand Hornby class 25 that had been fitted with Ultrascale wheels. The previous owner must have regauged them as they were lose on the axles.  On Hanging Hill I had some 3 way points this loco would hit one of them and derail. Looking at the wheels, the lead axle would have widened out to 18.83mm and the other one on the bogie narrowed down to 14.2mm. So was my class 25 ahead of developments in Spain and Chyna? 

I put Hornby wheels back on it and it is still on the Sheffield Exchange allocation without any running problems.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I think it will change over automatically from DC to DCC too.

Didn't think of that :good:

But why would anyone want to change for simple DC to all singing and dancing DCC. :dancing:

You have never heard me sing or see me dance.....that is why I am a DC modeller. :rtfm:

• Like 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2