Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Honestly don't know. Might have been a simple as using the jigs they already had for the SR units.

I must stop looking through the vids on YouTube or browsing flcker. Keep seeing things that make me want to make more units. 302 in blue and grey with red stripes for compartments, a 305 or 308 with a 302 driving car. Or 302244 with the bury emu driving car.

Clive, those cut and shuts are good, especially as I have just been reading through the LMS coaches book vol3.

Thanks Chessy,

That is my problem, I see a photo or drawing in a book and think "I could model that" or "How will I model that".

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Wonder if those ratio coaches could be cut and shut for a LMS suburban electric unit, like the altringham units?

The LMS electric units were based on flush sided period II coaches with painted on panel lining.

The Airfix/Dapol non-gangway are the best source for these.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

49 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

How long is that GF suburban coach? The manchester/altringham EMU needs shorter compartments, 9 of, with the driving compartment on a 58` length. 

Please don't be offended by this, but it's spelt Altrincham, although pronounced just as you have written.

Used to be one of the "posh" bits of Cheshire, perhaps still is but apparently now "footballer" country, so presumably quite expensive. A bit daft really, like Happisburgh being pronounced "Haze Borough".

John.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

49 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

Please don't be offended by this, but it's spelt Altrincham, although pronounced just as you have written.

Used to be one of the "posh" bits of Cheshire, perhaps still is but apparently now "footballer" country, so presumably quite expensive. A bit daft really, like Happisburgh being pronounced "Haze Borough".

John.

No problen, cant spell anyway lol.

Now i will mis spell it on purpose lol.

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

32 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

Now i will mis spell it on purpose lol.

Thought you had, it's how we all say it.

There's a pronunciation of a locality within Salford that is rather racist when said now, it was a coal mining village, I wonder now if it was actually on purpose.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

How long is that GF suburban coach? The manchester/altringham EMU needs shorter compartments, 9 of, with the driving compartment on a 58` length. 

Hi Cheesy

The Farish coach is 220mm long or a scale 55ft.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

John.

"I bought a pair of trousers in Cheshire."

"Altrincham?"

"No, they're a perfect fit."

I thank you.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 5
  • Funny 7

20 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Cheesy

The Farish coach is 220mm long or a scale 55ft.

That is almost perfect. The EMUs were 58` long, with 9 compartments and a 3`6" driving cab. If that works out at 55`, it makes me 2mm short of the total length when the cab is added, and whats 2mm between friends lol.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Clive,

I see that Cabaret Voltaire are back after 20 odd years with Shadow of Fear perhaps a bit too difficult in these times?

Here is one they did earlier-

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Yes Clive a very good song.

My appreciation of the piece is somewhat jaded given that my eldest daughter (bless her, she is a senior ward sister with three kids of her own now) played this at high volume over extended periods. She was a Goth at the time (Mission, Sister of Mercy, Fields of the......) and whilst I cooperated with painting her bedroom black with the stars and planets on the ceiling (we are both fairly arty) I drew a line at building a coffin to replace her bed.

Wonderful times though!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Richard

We had one that went through the black bedroom phase. She was a bit upset her dad borrowed her goth CDs when she went to uni.

The other one got into Ska-punk and one day ventured out of his bedroom most amazed that his dad was playing this very loudly and even more amazed his dad had seen them a few times.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Just great Clive, our mission in later life is to surprise and delight our kids with the knowledge that our interest in life did not end with the production of them!

Kind regards,

Richard

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Yo ! Music Meastro !

Loving the Slits ( great name for a female band !!! )

Many, many, many years ago when I lived in Oxfordshire one of my mates worked as a promo for Polydor ( I'll explain further in a mo ).

When Fairport Convention had their.....seemingly......umpteenth reunion do at Cropredy my mate and several others decided to have a .....well lets just call it a gathering, on an abandoned army base with dense woodland surrounding it, far from anyone or anything.

This was long before the so called illegal raves were "invented" for want of a better word.

All was obviously keep under the radar and on the evening of the Cropredy event the gathering took place. No rozzers to be seen as most were on duty at the Fairport do controlling the ancients !

Back to the Polydor mate who had sorted a concert in Birmingham that night with a certain Souxie singist.

He'd asked her if she'd like to go back to her roots and give the gathering a song or three as a pre-concert warm up......she jumped at the chance and turned up about 8.30pm. 

Great night, excellent DJ's and sound system plus loads of other stuff too ( but we won't go there eh ! :blink: ). 

Never did fancy Cropredy anyway !!! No apologise !

Yours,

Happily Dazed

Edited by bgman
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, bgman said:

Yo ! Music Meastro !

Loving the Slits ( great name for a female band !!! )

Many, many, many years ago when I lived in Oxfordshire one of my mates worked as a promo for Polydor ( I'll explain further in a mo ).

When Fairport Convention had their.....seemingly......umpteenth reunion do at Cropredy my mate and several others decided to have a .....well lets just call it a gathering, on an abandoned army base with dense woodland surrounding it, far from anyone or anything.

This was long before the so called illegal raves were "invented" for want of a better word.

All was obviously keep under the radar and on the evening of the Cropredy event the gathering took place. No rozzers to be seen as most were on duty at the Fairport do controlling the ancients !

Back to the Polydor mate who had sorted a concert in Birmingham that night with a certain Souxie singist.

He'd asked her if she'd like to go back to her roots and give the gathering a song or three as a pre-concert warm up......she jumped at the chance and turned up about 8.30pm. 

Great night, excellent DJ's and sound system plus loads of other stuff too ( but we won't go there eh ! :blink: ). 

Never did fancy Cropredy anyway !!! No apologise !

Yours,

Happily Dazed

Yo Dazed

Siouxsie wrote on my genuine WW2 battledress jacket after a gig one night, because I had never asked her for her autograph. Mrs on one of her tidy ups of the clothes I didn't wear any more gave it to the dustman. I found out after the bin had been emptied. :cry:

The late 70s were great, normally one or two punk gigs in Colchester where the army had posted me, and Chelmsford. On the other nights of the week if I was not doing anything, I would look in Sounds see who was playing in London and catch a train. 

Now I am retired and an old git , I am thankful that so many bands I like have videos of their gigs.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3