Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

That coach is a lot of cutting and shutting to get straight and true\smooth. We, your adoring public, will not accept anything less than proof of success, and that will mean a coat of paint, even just undercoat, to see if you can get it straight and smooth. We will Accept a delay due to weather before the paint is applied.

I know this would normally get me thrown out of the Clive cut and shut club for even using the words paint, but I do want to see how smooth you can get that many joints.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

That coach is a lot of cutting and shutting to get straight and true\smooth. We, your adoring public, will not accept anything less than proof of success, and that will mean a coat of paint, even just undercoat, to see if you can get it straight and smooth. We will Accept a delay due to weather before the paint is applied.

I know this would normally get me thrown out of the Clive cut and shut club for even using the words paint, but I do want to see how smooth you can get that many joints.

The bit you miss, the magicians sleight of hand bit, is when Clive substitutes the cut and shut for a primed Comet side, all nice and smooth!

Mike.

• Funny 4

58 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

Hi Dave,

As you well know there is a term that forfeits a 10p donation to the swear box. Using words such as "paint" in relation to home made coaches may in the future, should you put the idea into Clive's head, incur a 5p forfeit to the swear box.

Be careful of what you wish for !!!

Gibbo.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

42 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

The bit you miss, the magicians sleight of hand bit, is when Clive substitutes the cut and shut for a primed Comet side, all nice and smooth!

Mike.

Not in this case. Nobody makes a side for that coach.
I know, I've been wanting one for ages and I looked.
That's why I'll be following this closely.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Hi Cheesy

The only way to get thrown out is to tell, not suggest but tell me I should go DCC.

Mentioning paint is OK as reminds me to turn the paint box length wise under the Doncaster sidings as it is sticking out a tad and I keep tripping over it.

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

Hi Mike

I have done overlays before, a Swindon Cross Country unit. By the time I had cut away most the coach and then stuck the side on wonky I realised it was cheaper to ruin a good RTR coach just by chopping it up.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

9 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Next time i get a chance to visit, i'm very tempted to turn up with a couple of cans of primer...

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

2 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

If you do raid his stock box with a can of primer, make sure it's done ninja style, so he doesn't know till after you have left lol.

Hi Dave,

I've had a thought, if all of Clive's cut and shut stock was painted in primer and also should he take black and white photographs then he may well get away with fooling us into thinking that he had actually painted his coaches.

It might just work.

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The only way to get thrown out is to tell, not suggest but tell me I should go DCC

Clive,

I’m telling you to go D.C.!!!!!!!

Hat, coat, gone!

Paul

p.s. Here’s to more unpainted carriage mangling and music

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Need to check if he puts glazing back in his cut and shuts before commencing guerrilla priming activities... 

I once lived in a student hall of residence where the decorators had remembered to tape over the windows and door handles before starting the sprayer (one of those ones like a garden sprinkler, where you shut the door and start it), but forgot to cover the mirror on the cupboard door......

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Sandhole said:

Please keep us up to date with the compo brake build Clive.

Hi Sando

The BCK bits were left overs from a RKB a diagram 16 RKT that was converted to a buffet in the early 50s, this will one day be seen at Peterborough North in a Cleethorpes train.

003.jpg.8bb7db85a0c7bbb1a0f692431101a49d.jpg

And this twin artic, a diagram 214.

006.jpg.99ad77853837bc6b11727d6fb5d0fade.jpg

The CL end

005.jpg.3ef74ec06b57e1f117bae18e0fc0063d.jpg

The BT end.

There has been some progress on the BCK

007.jpg.8513a8771e04a5c48f7d275180920c11.jpg

Why does everything look OK to the Mk1 eyeball, but goes all wonky when a camera comes near it.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The only way to get thrown out is to tell, not suggest but tell me I should go DCC.

1 hour ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

I’m telling you to go D.C.!!!!!!!

Nah - a better way of putting is it tell Clive not to go DCC................

• Funny 3

18 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Mike

I have done overlays before, a Swindon Cross Country unit. By the time I had cut away most the coach and then stuck the side on wonky I realised it was cheaper to ruin a good RTR coach just by chopping it up.

I don't bat an eyelid at chopping up a coach, but ruining a perfectly good sheet of plasticard is sacrilege. :yes:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1