Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

6 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I'm a secondhand vegan, I eat beef and wear leather, cows eat grass, ergo,,

Mike.

15 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have also read Paul's post, Hollie is right Turkeys must be vegetables because that is all they eat. They are just a reformed vegetable.  :ok:

6 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:
  14 hours ago, jimwal said:

Can we use this reasoning when the 'greens' tell us we must stop eating meat to save the planet?

Apologies for the wrong order above of the Quotes!!

Thanks guys!

I will pass this on to Hollie!

However have just received a video clip from Her Dad. They must be at Woburn Safari Park(which apparently is open as they can socially distance the cars!)

How do I know they are there? There is a monkey climbing on the car!

I will see if I can get the video off of my phone and post it here?

Otherwise , tomorrow must get back to some modelling!

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

Strangely some people think I'm quite bonkers.

Gibbo.

“ If a man does not keep pace with his companions , perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears.”

- Henry David Thoreau .

So fear not ,  Sir Gibbo ,’tis they that are a few bogies short of a Quint-Art , not thyself .

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

3 minutes ago, jazzer said:

“ If a man does not keep pace with his companions , perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears.”

- Henry David Thoreau .

So fear not ,  Sir Gibbo ,’tis they that are a few bogies short of a Quint-Art , not thyself .

"The recognition of madness, even in oneself is the true path to sanity."

-Arthur Schopenhauer.

Gibbo.

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Don't mention DCC !!!

Over on Doc's Eagle has Crashed thread I have Yellowman Mick saying my  "to finish of later" shelf is layout shaped. Now you are upsetting me with the extra C.

What else could go wrong before Thursday and we see the back of D8020?

My first attempt at doing a Gresley paneled coach side. It isn't 100% but I have learnt a lot getting this far. Now to do the other side and make the rest of the coach. It is going to be a non-gangway full brake.

a003.jpg.a10f1ca1901fea08959f0da91ac6458f.jpg

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

A question to all the fellow EMU nutters, the parcels 308, some were converted to passenger use, but some were used on continued parcels use until the modified 302 were introduced. These that were used on further parcels use, were they modified further in any way.?

I have this image stuck in my head of a diagram of a M1 driving car EMU with extra double doors added. Did this actually happen or am I thinking of the DMUs, where this did happen a lot earlier (for example the bubble cars used in Scotland so modified).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cheesysmith said:

A question to all the fellow EMU nutters, the parcels 308, some were converted to passenger use, but some were used on continued parcels use until the modified 302 were introduced. These that were used on further parcels use, were they modified further in any way.?

I have this image stuck in my head of a diagram of a M1 driving car EMU with extra double doors added. Did this actually happen or am I thinking of the DMUs, where this did happen a lot earlier (for example the bubble cars used in Scotland so modified).

Hi Cheesy

On the South Tyneside system there was a Mk1 Motor Parcels car, E68000. It looked very similar to a SR single car Motor Luggage Van. It differed in having no power batteries to use off the 3 rd rail and had 2 power bogies. It later went to the North Mersey system were in replaced two converted LMS Motor Parcels vans.

As for the 308s with the luggage van still in use, I think the two driving cars were not altered, I could be wrong.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi There,

That reminds of the phrase, " I have never lost it, although on occasion it has been misplaced."

Gibbo.

Or a conversation with my grandson when aged about two and couldn't find one of his Chuggington trains. 

Q "Where did you last have it"

A "Here in my hand"

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

DMUs - Windows - Sizes - Swindon

OK as far as I can work out Mark 1 windows are normally 16mm by 14mm or 9mm by 14mm.

Would I be correct in Swindon DMUs being 16mm by 12mm for the normal sizes?

I have just bought a cutter!

Test 1 will be glazing for Mark 2 stock, Test 2 will be a class 120 cross country set.

• Like 4

On 27/12/2020 at 22:43, Clive Mortimore said:

Over on Doc's Eagle has Crashed thread I have Yellowman Mick saying my  "to finish of later" shelf is layout shaped. Now you are upsetting me with the extra C.

What else could go wrong before Thursday and we see the back of D8020?

My first attempt at doing a Gresley paneled coach side. It isn't 100% but I have learnt a lot getting this far. Now to do the other side and make the rest of the coach. It is going to be a non-gangway full brake.

a003.jpg.a10f1ca1901fea08959f0da91ac6458f.jpg

Hi Clive,

I could turn up some cards for D8021 should you wish, do keep in mind though, the last reading was fairly accurate. I might wait until Thursday for that though.

My doodle below from a few pages back was rather prescient also.

Gibbo.

On 21/12/2020 at 13:38, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

As it is the Winter Solstice and the day of the Jupiter-Saturn Grand Conjunction I had this thought, LOVE cut in half :

151807178_DSCF12821.JPG.43e2f554dc64b865fd737e62876a9e21.JPG

It is there if you look.

Gibbo.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

I could turn up some cards for D8021 should you wish, do keep in mind though, the last reading was fairly accurate. I might wait until Thursday for that though.

My doodle below from a few pages back was rather prescient also.

Gibbo.

:scared: No, it might show I start to model GWR using DCC in cake decoration gauge :scared:

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

:scared: No, it might show I start to model GWR using DCC in cake decoration gauge :scared:

Clive,

Now you’ve gone and done it. Gibbo will be chasing you for the 20p for the swear box!!!!!!  :D

Paul

Edited by Flying Fox 34F
Add emoji
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Clive,

Now you’ve gone and done it. Gibbo will be chasing you for the 20p for the swear box!!!!!!  :D

Paul

Hi Paul,

I'm currently looking for a particular photograph, it will be much finnier than getting Clive to contribute his own swear box.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

I have started my second Hawksworth Third.

They can run behind my 45xx with a BT or my NBL 22 with a Sunshine BTK

Also trying to work out how to do a window frame with bars. I think I can just get away with it.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Clive,

Here is the photograph shewing "Cake Decorating Gauge":

1442398419_DSCF12981.JPG.69a9b00fa3f761ef166def627282083e.JPG

It was supposed to be D6830 but mother didn't fit the correct number of wheels and there were only two windows instead of three in the cab front. To be fair mother isn't a train ned and making a cake that looked a bit like a Warship class rather than D6830 was good enough for me in 1977 !

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Improper grammar.
  • Like 10
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

Here is the photograph shewing "Cake Decorating Gauge":

1442398419_DSCF12981.JPG.69a9b00fa3f761ef166def627282083e.JPG

It was supposed to be D6830 but mother didn't fit the correct number of wheels and there were only two windows instead of three in the cab front. To be fair mother isn't a train ned and making a cake that looked a bit like a Warship class rather than D6830 was good enough for me in 1977 !

Gibbo.

Wow that is wonderful.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

window2.png.64fa8a07b925d49a8f7538d930c54240.png

How about this for a Swindon DMU window?

Got 5 pairs of sides to design, first two pairs will be 120 DMSL & TSBL then DMBC

Afterwards will start on WR 79xxx stuff

• Like 6

On 29/12/2020 at 15:49, MJI said:

DMUs - Windows - Sizes - Swindon

OK as far as I can work out Mark 1 windows are normally 16mm by 14mm or 9mm by 14mm.

Would I be correct in Swindon DMUs being 16mm by 12mm for the normal sizes?

I have just bought a cutter!

Martin,

Not sure if this is any help but the (Trix Mk.1) windows on my class 126 are 15mm x 12.5mm, which visually gives a good relationship of window size to pillars compared to photos of the real things. Triang Mk.1 windows at 16mm x 14mm give pillars between them that are too narrow. I'm sure Swindon windows aren't as deep as a Mk.1 either but I could be wrong.

Martyn.

• Informative/Useful 2