Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

For a man who convinced Accurascale that generic cut n shuts are the way forward I am surprised that in none of the pictures, even the one of the carefully assorted tools neatly laid out, there is not a single craft knife or fine saw in sight.  Do you actually have a supplier of your coach bits, like a modeller's C F Booth / Vic Berry?

Yo Woody

There is a craft knife and a razor saw.

I have been modelling but until it is ready for painting it will remain a secret. :secret:

Hi Folks,

Here is one to tick a few boxes, such as Russian folk instruments, pretty girls, surreal comedic experience, crazy outfits. Despite Chewbacca's identity crisis they do manage to serve up some Imperial [Имперская] Vodka.

Gibbo.

• Like 2

On 30/03/2021 at 16:59, cheesysmith said:

DSCF0012.JPG.1d3a745ea2d6bd2198609444e8de7128.JPG

here is my 131, next to a DC kits 114, which is next to a 114 made out of two DC kits 108. Surprisingly it works very well. Just need to wait for it to set rock hard, then trim the roof (where i cut it short, again lol).

Any yes, my spray bench is a old sofa in the garden due to go to the tip when i CBA.

On 01/04/2021 at 15:12, Clive Mortimore said:

Yo Cheesy

Wot U done with dem?

They are all the same colour.

Hi Folks,

Here is your song for that paint job, although I'm not to sure about the Railfreight sector markings on that girls/blokes face:

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Girl/Bloke - can't tell!?!?!
  • Like 3

On 01/04/2021 at 14:03, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

It is a mate of mine's birthday today, just to wake him up I sent him this, and while I am at it I'll post it here also:

Gibbo.

Smashing.  I have all his albums in the shed, no wonder I'm always smashing up my railway as soon as it nears completion

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

Here is one to tick a few boxes, such as Russian folk instruments, pretty girls, surreal comedic experience, crazy outfits. Despite Chewbacca's identity crisis they do manage to serve up some Imperial [Имперская] Vodka.

Gibbo.

I hope they are self isolating, they shouldn't be allowed out in public, or maybe that's the reason Russia is in the state it's in?

Mike.

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

There had to be one, anyhow Mike, I hope you have filled in your paper work correctly ............I cannot remember if you coming back here to live was on the list of advantages of Brexit.

Once this world ridiculousness clears up I'm on my way back, don't fret!

Mike.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I hope they are self isolating, they shouldn't be allowed out in public, or maybe that's the reason Russia is in the state it's in?

Mike.

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Once this world ridiculousness clears up I'm on my way back, don't fret!

Mike.

Hi Mike,

The above posts appear to be at odds with each other for one uses the assumption of Russians not following [supposed] rules and the the other for Britain following [supposed] EU rules to rigidly, do make your mind up.

What I suggest is for you to perhaps consider a little of Aleister Crowley's wisdom,

• "Balance every thought with its opposition, Because the marriage of them is the destruction of illusion."
  • "Magick is the science and art of causing change to occur in conformity with will."

• "You can only accomplish your object in life by complete disregard of the opinions of other people."

• "It is necessary that we stop, once for all, this ignorant meddling with other people's business. Each individual must be left free to follow his own path."

If everyone swept the road in front of their own house we should all live in a tidy world.

Gibbo.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

until it is ready for painting

7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I'm not sure that we can wait that long.

Lots of Clive’s models are ready for painting.  That’s got nothing to do with actually applying any paint.  :P
Paul.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Mike,

The above posts appear to be at odds with each other for one uses the assumption of Russians not following [supposed] rules and the the other for Britain following [supposed] EU rules to rigidly, do make your mind up.

What I suggest is for you to perhaps consider a little of Aleister Crowley's wisdom,

• "Balance every thought with its opposition, Because the marriage of them is the destruction of illusion."
  • "Magick is the science and art of causing change to occur in conformity with will."

• "You can only accomplish your object in life by complete disregard of the opinions of other people."

• "It is necessary that we stop, once for all, this ignorant meddling with other people's business. Each individual must be left free to follow his own path."

If everyone swept the road in front of their own house we should all live in a tidy world.

Gibbo.

Or, as Mark Twain put it -“ When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained”:rolleyes:

• Agree 3

I'm currently deleting duplicate photos out of some folders on my computer - I've got software to find the duplicates but you have to select them individually to set up the deletion.

I've got several hundred (if not over a thousand) of these to select, I've got a pattern going Space, Down Key, Space, Down Key, Space, Down Key,Down Key,Down Key,Down Key.  But keeping the rhythm going is hard, I could never be a drummer, I'd lose the beat as soon as I began to focus on it too much.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jazzer said:

Apropos nothing in particular Clive , what uncoupling arrangement do you have at the terminal ends of the platforms do release the incoming locos

Hi Jazzer,

The MkIV** uncoupler.

001a.jpg.87303f2afb7bedf6dd92cb39ef876954.jpg

He it is action.

002a.jpg.30335b5e9fa0a53f9d32f9ddfef48623.jpg

The MkI was an L shaped clear plastic device, with two halves of an Airfix railway man glued each side. Only used on a few wagons on Pig Lane and Hanging Hill.

After losing all my MkIs I bulit some MkIIs they are plain white plastic card versions. With the introduction of the Bachy 45 ton GLW tank wagons and their floppy couplings something better was needed. So the MkII was rebuilt to have a plate similar to that in the photo thus the MkIII was born. It was very successful but after the plastic card handle kept getting shorter because of my clumsiness a new design was required. Plastic card is not the strongest material when dropped and trodden on. 

The Mk4 was an upgrade based on the successful MkIII but using a length of rail super glued to the plate of plastic card. The plate on the MkIV is a bit bigger than that of the MkIV** and was found to be difficult to use at the platform ends, it does see regular service in the fiddle yard. To over come the the problem the MkVI had I developed the MkIV* this had a smaller plate, again quite good at its job, but at some angles I couldn't get a good view of what I was supposed to be doing. The MkVI* continues to give good service on Pig Lane (WR). The MkIV ** has a slight kink in the operators control handle which improves his vision. 

All terminating trains have are hauled out the station either on their next journey or to the carriage sidings by another loco before the train loco is released. Locos on platform 3 and 4 can use the middle road to run round their trains.  Platform 8 is mainly used for parcels so to allow the loco to be recoaled and watered there is a crossover to platform 7 at the buffer end. I can't be bothered with dragging a train out to release the loco and pushing it back, this ain't Norwich but Sheff Ex. 

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Jazzer,

The MkIV** uncoupler.

001a.jpg.87303f2afb7bedf6dd92cb39ef876954.jpg

He it is action.

002a.jpg.30335b5e9fa0a53f9d32f9ddfef48623.jpg

The MkI was an L shaped clear plastic device, with two halves of an Airfix railway man glued each side. Only used on a few wagons on Pig Lane and Hanging Hill.

After losing all my MkIs I bulit some MkIIs they are plain white plastic card versions. With the introduction of the Bachy 45 ton GLW tank wagons and their floppy couplings something better was needed. So the MkII was rebuilt to have a plate similar to that in the photo thus the MkIII was born. It was very successful but after the plastic card handle kept getting shorter because of my clumsiness a new design was required. Plastic card is not the strongest material when dropped and trodden on. 

The Mk4 was an upgrade based on the successful MkIII but using a length of rail super glued to the plate of plastic card. The plate on the MkIV is a bit bigger than that of the MkIV** and was found to be difficult to use at the platform ends, it does see regular service in the fiddle yard. To over come the the problem the MkVI had I developed the MkIV* this had a smaller plate, again quite good at its job, but at some angles I couldn't get a good view of what I was supposed to be doing. The MkVI* continues to give good service on Pig Lane (WR). The MkIV ** has a slight kink in the operators control handle which improves his vision. 

All terminating trains have are hauled out the station either on their next journey or to the carriage sidings by another loco before the train loco is released. Locos on platform 3 and 4 can use the middle road to run round their trains.  Platform 8 is mainly used for parcels so to allow the loco to be recoaled and watered there is a crossover to platform 7 at the buffer end. I can't be bothered with dragging a train out to release the loco and pushing it back, this ain't Norwich but Sheff Ex. 

Thanks Clive.  I was expecting some super duper magnetic wave something or other to give me a idea for the layout I’m re- laying but I suppose you have re-inforced in my mind the old adage “keep it simple”. I was using a lolly stick which did the job admirably, sliding it under the coupling and using the rail as a pivot , press on one end, and the other end comes up releasing the coupling. At my rate of progress I might as well knock up a cross between my lolly stick and CM Mark IV, instead of making work for myself , so Thank You .

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Re uncoupling at the platform ends, have you considered clear plastic strips?

Any suitable flexible plastic will do, just lightly pinned so it forms a slight hump.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Re uncoupling at the platform ends, have you considered the Peco clear plastic strips?

Any suitable flexible plastic will do, just lightly pinned so it forms a slight hump.

Hi Stu

I have and they would be great, saving me from having to remember to uncouple the loco. The number of times I have tried to drive a train out and it struggles as it pulls the loco the other end which is stuck fast on the isolated section. The reason I have don't it is the uncoupler would be where the lead car and second car on a DMU would end up standing, when it departs and the lead car is supposed to be the rear car, but has been uncoupled and is sitting still at the buffers....whoops.

The answer is a magnet under the track and soft iron tails on the arm of the tension locks of my locos and end coaches but not the DMUs. That sounds like a lot of work at the moment but one day.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

5 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

the uncoupler would be where the lead car and second car on a DMU would end up standing,

Ah, yes, that would be an issue. 

Unless you could use a simple wire-in-tube mechanism to compress the strip( so it raises to form the hump) when required.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Ah, yes, that would be an issue. 

Unless you could use a simple wire-in-tube mechanism to compress the strip( so it raises to form the hump) when required.

Hi Stu

Oh that sounds complicated for a fat bald bloke with little brain.  

• Funny 2