Jump to content

Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!


Clive Mortimore
 Share

Recommended Posts

Despite not much action in the train room I have had a go at doing the drawings for a Eastleigh conversion of a LMS diagram 1709 third class sleeper into a diagram 2195 Party Car. These coaches in real life were converted to Ambulances in WW2 and when given back to BR in the early 50s were converted to catering vehicles. There were 3 diagrams, 2195 Party Cars (they had Cafeteria Car painted on their sides), 2196 Cafeteria Cars and 2198 Cafeteria Cars. The Essery and Jenkinson LMS coaches book Vol 2 has diagrams for all three but the drawings do not match the coaches. I have done the D 2195 as I have been able to find quite a few photos of these, I only have the two small photos of 2196 in the LMS coach book and none of the 2198, but the diagram for that seems to relate better to the window sizes than the other two do.

Here is a photo of one from Robert Carroll's Fickr collection.

M257M_Euston_5-3-64

 

Here is my 2195 drawing, I cannot claim it is 100% but I think should I make a model using this drawing it will not look wrong in 4mm scale.

 

898931488_caf6.png.11643a7b1e1fcd58e93f8241739c81ec.png

  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

 

Well, it ain't one of these;

 

image.png.c0b3a97613fe61ea8b8b3a2201728e3f.png

 

Mike.

 

 

 

I should imagine using that as an applicator would bring tears to someone's eyes. :O

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Despite not much action in the train room I have had a go at doing the drawings for a Eastleigh conversion of a LMS diagram 1709 third class sleeper into a diagram 2195 Party Car. These coaches in real life were converted to Ambulances in WW2 and when given back to BR in the early 50s were converted to catering vehicles. There were 3 diagrams, 2195 Party Cars (they had Cafeteria Car painted on their sides), 2196 Cafeteria Cars and 2198 Cafeteria Cars. The Essery and Jenkinson LMS coaches book Vol 2 has diagrams for all three but the drawings do not match the coaches. I have done the D 2195 as I have been able to find quite a few photos of these, I only have the two small photos of 2196 in the LMS coach book and none of the 2198, but the diagram for that seems to relate better to the window sizes than the other two do.

Here is a photo of one from Robert Carroll's Fickr collection.

M257M_Euston_5-3-64

 

Here is my 2195 drawing, I cannot claim it is 100% but I think should I make a model using this drawing it will not look wrong in 4mm scale.

 

898931488_caf6.png.11643a7b1e1fcd58e93f8241739c81ec.png

 

Good drawing there Clive. A lot better than those diagrams in the LMS coaches books.

 

I'm still looking for pics of Stanier catering cars in BR maroon, I have some in crimson/cream.

Actually there may be many photos with them in, but well down the train with the focus being on the engine.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, jimwal said:

 

Good drawing there Clive. A lot better than those diagrams in the LMS coaches books.

 

I'm still looking for pics of Stanier catering cars in BR maroon, I have some in crimson/cream.

Actually there may be many photos with them in, but well down the train with the focus being on the engine.

Most drawings miss out the under frame detail and bogie detail which complicates building models. 
richard

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A question that the fellow bog cart fans may be able to answer.

 

I was looking on Flickr and there was a photo of a early Derby lightweight 2 car set in blue with full yellow ends including the cab doors. Does any one know of the identity of said unit? Fancy modeling it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

A question that the fellow bog cart fans may be able to answer.

 

I was looking on Flickr and there was a photo of a early Derby lightweight 2 car set in blue with full yellow ends including the cab doors. Does any one know of the identity of said unit? Fancy modeling it.

Hi Dave,

 

The full yellow ends including cab doors was a short lived paint scheme that was around in the late 1960's and early 1970's. It didn't last long and only units that were being painted at that time were treated so finding out which units and what numbers is a tricky one. I have found M79610 on railcar.co.uk with this paint job.

 

Gibbo

  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Stuff is still happening in the train room very slowly.

 

New Band Maid video.

 

 

I keep wasting time looking at the live feeds of the volcano in Iceland.  A screen shot from this evening.

762395022_sunandash.jpg.82ad5a094983857cd22dcd139468ce7f.jpg

 

I been buying some bits to make a D49/1 Shire Class loco, a B16/3, and a B2 (Gilbert tells me I shouldn't have one for Sheffield). I also managed to buy a Patriot for some unknown reason. I now have a Ivatt class 2 with Push-Pull gear, which means the one I was going to convert to a Push-Pull can be now put to one side to become a BR class 2 2-6-2T, one of the few without the ability to push and pull.

 

My soft heart took pity on this very old conversion of a Tri-ang Princess into a Caprotti Black Five. Will I try to improve it or will I leave it as it is because it was seeing conversions like these when I was a kid that inspired me into doing my own work.

010a.jpg.cc5df81c3e08c0f79bcb8959ef98a3cb.jpg

 

012a.jpg.d2cbd89013bdfb4136f5fd7063b0e613.jpg

 

Next to a Hornby Blackie 015a.jpg.83952c8a1b0d4bf78575428f5dc0a81d.jpg

 

  • Like 16
Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Dave,

 

The full yellow ends including cab doors was a short lived paint scheme that was around in the late 1960's and early 1970's. It didn't last long and only units that were being painted at that time were treated so finding out which units and what numbers is a tricky one. I have found M79610 on railcar.co.uk with this paint job.

 

Gibbo

 

Thanks, so looking at the hugh longworth DMU book that would make it`s partner 79018. Both allocated to Carlisle, and not knowing how many actually gained this scheme, it makes them the likely pair in the photo.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

this very old conversion of a Tri-ang Princess into a Caprotti Black Five

Those were the days, when you could convert a Tri-ang Princess into just about anything!

  • Like 2
  • Agree 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

 

My soft heart took pity on this very old conversion of a Tri-ang Princess into a Caprotti Black Five. Will I try to improve it or will I leave it as it is because it was seeing conversions like these when I was a kid that inspired me into doing my own work.

010a.jpg.cc5df81c3e08c0f79bcb8959ef98a3cb.jpg

 

012a.jpg.d2cbd89013bdfb4136f5fd7063b0e613.jpg

 

Next to a Hornby Blackie 015a.jpg.83952c8a1b0d4bf78575428f5dc0a81d.jpg

 


Clive,

 

There is nothing soft about keeping the Triang conversion.  This is a historic model and inspired you to create your multi-coloured carriages.  I’ve just rediscovered my Triang A3 I detailed up into final BR condition complete with smoke deflectors, 32 years ago.  I still love it.

 

Paul

  • Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

 

Thanks, so looking at the hugh longworth DMU book that would make it`s partner 79018. Both allocated to Carlisle, and not knowing how many actually gained this scheme, it makes them the likely pair in the photo.

Hi Dave,

 

I would be careful of assuming that the other half of the unit would be the same for if you look through the railcar photos there does seem be be quite a few blue-green combinations.

 

Gibbo.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You are correct, but the chance of evidence coming to light as to which unit it was are remote when this distant in time. It is a reasonable guess based on the limited information we have. Not a lot of pictures of bog carts around from then due to the impending death of steam.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

You are correct, but the chance of evidence coming to light as to which unit it was are remote when this distant in time. It is a reasonable guess based on the limited information we have. Not a lot of pictures of bog carts around from then due to the impending death of steam.

Hi Dave,

 

You could do the extremes of blue and yellow panels with one of these, there are others if you follow the, "Blue Small Yellow Panel" link under the photograph:

https://www.railcar.co.uk/images/20881

 

This is the only yellow drivers door unit in the Derby lightweight section:

https://www.railcar.co.uk/images/9392

 

DSCF1021.JPG.76333b53edb64383a64791d2c31b2442.JPG

I may one day apply transfers !

 

Gibbo.

  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

It's been a while since I've offended everyone's ears with something truly horrific.... so, here ya go! Hope you like euro dance and yodelling...

 

 

Gandalf seems to like it:

 

 

 

Gibbo,

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news, I`ve found a use for the trix Mk1 roofs and ends.

 

DSCF0108.JPG.84dc70bb4e88532522bd510c7a99ae1e.JPG

 

The roofs are just the right size for use with MTK cabs. The sides are triang Mk1, which match the depth of the MTK cabs. Just need to let the filler harden and can rub down/smooth off the cab roof join.

  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Good news, I`ve found a use for the trix Mk1 roofs and ends.

 

DSCF0108.JPG.84dc70bb4e88532522bd510c7a99ae1e.JPG

 

The roofs are just the right size for use with MTK cabs. The sides are triang Mk1, which match the depth of the MTK cabs. Just need to let the filler harden and can rub down/smooth off the cab roof join.

Oooooo !!!!!! A hydraulic Cravens. :good::good:

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...