Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Cheers Clive, I'll book the Train Ticket and a Hotel, do you have an actual Month or day in mind?:D

Hi Andy

Been thinking about this. The last train to Soloby was 1960, nearest station is Cleethorpes (25 mins away), next nearest is Skeggy (35mins away), one with the most connections is Lincoln (50 mins away). No need to book a hotel, as you have seen we have some lovely stables which you are more than welcome to stay in.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

1 minute ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Andy

Been thinking about this. The last train to Soloby was 1960, nearest station is Cleethorpes (25 mins away), next nearest is Skeggy (35mins away), one with the most connections is Lincoln (50 mins away). No need to book a hotel, as you have seen we have some lovely stables which you are more than welcome to stay in.

Will I need to pack a shovel for clearing Sh1te away first?:laugh:

Two things. 

Im glad I model later BR as only two underframe sizes to worry about (thankfully don't do stabilizer rail)

Also, I found a woodworking mitre block with a nice saw from squires. Just the right size for 00 stock, ridged floor, and if cutting flat things like sides or roofs the saw blade fits the slot perfectly. Draper iirc.

• Informative/Useful 3

A few reactions to content scarcely begin to do credit to your series about "Cuts & Shuts", for which very many thanks indeed.

The gradual weakening of the sides away from the roof is clearly quite fraught, so I guess sharp blade, cut away from you and take it slowly are the answer.

I hadn't twigged that the early Hornby big windows weren't big enough, and that adds a lot to the work needed, plus an increased risk of misfit or error. I did wonder if there was much in the way of variation in the moulding from different coaches, but your close in photos show that this is not the case (apparently there is with Kirk kits).

The rest of it makes a lot of sense, and particularly you're left with some Gresleys with a decent body profile.

After that it's just detailing to choice, as it would be with any coach kit.

So thanks again, I'm sure I'm not alone in finding this very informative. I'll definitely have a go, once I get my not small backlog of painting sorted out, and the spray booth off the worktop. (I gave up painting outside after the wind took much of my work and spread it over the garden.)

I was also interested to see that you have a Swann Morton Knife body in brass, as do I. The experience of a plastic one snapping in mid cut so that the back of the blade went into my finger wasn't something to repeat!

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John Tomlinson said:

A few reactions to content scarcely begin to do credit to your series about "Cuts & Shuts", for which very many thanks indeed.

The gradual weakening of the sides away from the roof is clearly quite fraught, so I guess sharp blade, cut away from you and take it slowly are the answer.

I hadn't twigged that the early Hornby big windows weren't big enough, and that adds a lot to the work needed, plus an increased risk of misfit or error. I did wonder if there was much in the way of variation in the moulding from different coaches, but your close in photos show that this is not the case (apparently there is with Kirk kits).

The rest of it makes a lot of sense, and particularly you're left with some Gresleys with a decent body profile.

After that it's just detailing to choice, as it would be with any coach kit.

So thanks again, I'm sure I'm not alone in finding this very informative. I'll definitely have a go, once I get my not small backlog of painting sorted out, and the spray booth off the worktop. (I gave up painting outside after the wind took much of my work and spread it over the garden.)

I was also interested to see that you have a Swann Morton Knife body in brass, as do I. The experience of a plastic one snapping in mid cut so that the back of the blade went into my finger wasn't something to repeat!

John.

Hi John

I am not worried about only a few reactions. If people read my waffle and think I can do better and find their modelling tools and have fun making something, excellent.

The Hornby big windows are 16 mm (and one 17mm on the BCK). The LNER used 4ft 6ins (18mm) on the corridor side and 4ft windows on the compartment side of the end door stock, most open stock and seated areas in catering cars.

Ah! the plastic handle breaking, been there, done that. I have an Exato knife handle, can't get on with it. I have tried Bard-Parker blade holders, uncomfortable. The brass handle for the craft knife blade is what I find best for me, others have their own preferred weapon and if it works for them, excellent.

My choice of blade is a Bard-Parker Number 11 surgical blade. Again other people prefer something else and get better results than me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

I have been addicted to the blood and custard site, and the high degree of standardized units and their history. This is what prompted the earlier comment of mine. There was among the last of the SR designed 4EPB in service some trailer cars built by the SR in 1946, that were passed into eversholt ownership. These were not withdrawn and scrapped until 94. That means they outlived the BR standard MK1 designs built to replace them. So they ran for the entire of BR with 63ft coaches on 44ft underframe and 8ft bogies.

That why I said I was glad I don't model the 3rd rail down south.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Big thank you to Clive for hosting a very tired Goldfish today at Sheffield Exchange. Trains were run, chats were had, and it was good to escape the normal daily Stresss for a few hours :)

Thank you for stopping enroute from Yorkshire and Norfolk. It made me run the trains which have stayed still for months. It also got me out of muck spreading for a day.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Very sad news today about Grahame Hitchen aka BGman. His comments on this thread always brought a smile to my face. I never met Grahame but through this forum he came across as a real diamond geezer as well as a good modeller.

Rest in Peace BGman

• Friendly/supportive 11

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have been doing some muddling lately, and will update soon. I spent Saturday on the DEMU stand at the Doncaster show. Met loads of people, had a nice chats with Eric (Signalengineer) and Paul (5BarVT).

Came home with some plastic card, a name plate "British Honduras", the two D49 nameplates I was after there cannot be much demand for them....I ask you not much demand for "BEDFORDSHIRE", I am going to start an :ireful::ireful: angry :ireful::ireful: RMweb thread on no "Bedfordshire" nameplates.

Tonight I have been listening to some Italian dark wave/ goth music.

Normally one the boys does the singing.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have been doing some muddling lately, and will update soon. I spent Saturday on the DEMU stand at the Doncaster show. Met loads of people, had a nice chats with Eric (Signalengineer) and Paul (5BarVT).

Came home with some plastic card, a name plate "British Honduras", the two D49 nameplates I was after there cannot be much demand for them....I ask you not much demand for "BEDFORDSHIRE", I am going to start an :ireful::ireful: angry :ireful::ireful: RMweb thread on no "Bedfordshire" nameplates.

Tonight I have been listening to some Italian dark wave/ goth music.

Normally one the boys does the singing.

Fox Transfers do nameplates for D49 Bedfordshire.

• 3 weeks later...

Clive, have you ever hacked the Hornby LMS Period II 12 wheel Restaurant cars into anything else?  Hattons are selling them for £23 at the moment (don't know how long for).  Might still be too expensive to use as donors, though, but a lot better than £60.47!

Chris KT

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/03/2022 at 23:53, chris45lsw said:

Clive, have you ever hacked the Hornby LMS Period II 12 wheel Restaurant cars into anything else?  Hattons are selling them for £23 at the moment (don't know how long for).  Might still be too expensive to use as donors, though, but a lot better than £60.47!

Chris KT

Hi Chris

Yes

005.jpg.63d28ab5d3fb2a0060de27db14a76342.jpg

A period three RT converted to a Buffet M105M

017.jpg.e686c54281c88092744601195033cb87.jpg

T'other side.

018.jpg.4bc8bf34adbc969c6a6ccefbfe4c6506.jpg

A period two CK

007.jpg.ae16e51511f94539d0498ed2947182ce.jpg

Corridor side.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 13

14 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Chris

Yes

005.jpg.99f41f046d3285f4587d7cdeea8f138e.jpg

A period three RT converted to a Buffet M105M

017.jpg.80d92ff07f53f612d02b2ad59a0d872d.jpg

T'other side.

018.jpg.aa935bc06798e332c9abab5cbdfcec72.jpg

A period two CK

007.jpg.10baacb4821d42af82423ba44a6adcbb.jpg

Corridor side.

Love the buffet car. Inspiration time.
Regards,
Chris.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Today I finished doing the basic cut and shut on the last Gresley coach in my recent LNER bash.

a019.jpg.e4c14d02531e0d7b04171bd7a9ce23d1.jpg

Train 1 now consist of BSK (4comp) /SK (all door) /CK (end door) /CK (locker)/ SK (GE shortie)/ BSK (3 Comp)+ RKB+BCK (2F-3S)

a020.jpg.65df29eba60c9d9665523cb56b25dd48.jpg

Train 2 is as follows BCK(3F-3S)/ CK (3 1/2F-4S)/ SK (end door)/ SK (all door)/SK (BR Mk1) / BSK (end door 4 comp) + RB + BCK (2F-2S)

a007.jpg.886c2d1ea5e912f72411041b0b6bcdc4.jpg

Train 3 is made up of BSK (5comp)/ SK (end door)/ SK (Thomo)*/ SK (all door)/ CK (all steel long underframe)/ BFK (4comp) + RB (rebuilt RKB)+ BCK (2F-4S) 

* The Thompson coach is a Tri-ang one waiting to be made shorter and have rounded fillets added to the windows to make a late version of a Thompson coach.

a009.jpg.1a55efa67afd0abe87b8375149892107.jpg

The L1 is shunting three spare coaches, a CK (all steel shortie), a convertible second sleeper, and a rebuilt 1938 Flying Scotsman Buffet.

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

New photographs of the coaches so far not pictured on this thread. Sorry for the poor placing of the roofs on most models, they ain't glued on yet.

The end door corridor composite.

a016.jpg.8c630e11de02cdf4dd706dea78a9be88.jpg

Compartment side

a017.jpg.1770040352987751066a4b8c5cd0afa7.jpg

Corridor side, the corridor windows do not line up with the compartments, like on the end door SKs. The CK and SK have the same number of windows so as they don't line up it would be logical to space them the same on both designs. No, this is the LNER we are talking about, the spacing is wider at the first class end than the second class.

A end door SK, second one I have butchered. 

a014.jpg.48d1ed7250a003d453c7f3b3c287b58e.jpg

Compartment side.

2 SKs

a008.jpg.eee99a24cffe55645c8f7c64d50d05d7.jpg

a015.jpg.131c2bfc0e83f382db81a82aed395a1e.jpg

Both compartment side shown.

The short all steel CK. These were built for the GN lines as part of a five car set BSK+SK twin/CK/SK=BSK twin but ended up being split up around the period I model.

a010.jpg.c937e27f4a3a89fb20200e29a086b5ed.jpg

Corridor side

a012.jpg.bd9c56e4d8836120a948e3b0b27897b8.jpg

Compartment side

The LNER built two designs of third (later second) class convertible sleepers, they could be used as day coaches with normal seating or the seats became the lower bunks and the upper bunks folded down from the sides. The two designs differed in width and the wider (9ft 3ins) had recessed doors, I made the thin (9ft) version. My understanding is they were not used as day coaches in BR days .......but as Sheff Ex is made up I can twist reality. I also have a LMS Second Class sleeper that was built as a convertible day to night coach.

a011.jpg.9a0f332530efd17fcb6aaf35eacf2ffc.jpg

The compartment side was quite distinctive with each compartment having three windows. 

a013.jpg.7a578fe3a3d157debcc2e3baecbaa3c6.jpg

The corridor side was less so but was the only LNER design with the toilet and lavatories at the ends of an end door design. On one side of the vestibule was a loo and the other a sink to wash yourself. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4