Current Best Buy in BR Blue?

PatB

Due to a change in circumstances, and as something a bit different from my efforts in 7mm, I'm considering building an Inglenook in 2mm finescale. As the 2mm SA website advises that the easiest way of getting a running loco is to rewheel a Farish diesel, I'm looking around for a suitable candidate.

My interest is in the late BR Blue/early Sectorisation period (as that's when I spent the most time around the prototype) and the (very) provisional plan is for a small fan of sidings with said loco shuffling a variety of down at heel freight and departmental stock around.

Ideally I'd like one of the more recent, retooled offerings but, not having previously paid much attention to goings on in N, I'm not sure which catalogue numbers to look for and how I can ensure that that apparent bargain doesn't turn out to be some relic of the 1980s. For example, a certain Liverpudlian establishment is offering the Class 25/3 for a very tempting 45 quid but it appears to be a throwback to the days of recessed windows, zero fine detail and a tippy-toes stance on the track. Which explains why it's 45 quid, I suppose.

Anyhow, is there any definitive way of telling whether any given model is of the latest generation, and does anyone have any recommendation as to the best (in terms of level of detail, performance and durability) of the current range?

Recent new releases with updated tooling will be marked as Blue Riband on the Farish website under the 'Body' column on this page:

http://www.grahamfarish.co.uk/prod1.php?prod_selected=farish&prod=1

You can't go far wrong with a 03, 08, 20, 24 (too early?), 37, 47, 55 for your era in terms of performance, although I would possibly avoid the shunters due to short wheelbase and go for a 20 for an inglenook shunting layout. 20192 (371-031) is a superb loco.

Edit: I can't comment on it's suitability for a finescale conversion, though.

• RMweb Premium

Recent new releases with updated tooling will be marked as Blue Riband on the Farish website under the 'Body' column on this page:

http://www.grahamfarish.co.uk/prod1.php?prod_selected=farish&prod=1

You can't go far wrong with a 03, 08, 20, 24 (too early?), 37, 47, 55 for your era in terms of performance, although I would possibly avoid the shunters due to short wheelbase and go for a 20 for an inglenook shunting layout. 20192 (371-031) is a superb loco.

Edit: I can't comment on it's suitability for a finescale conversion, though.

Hi

The 03 & 08 will need replacement chassis or the exisiting flanges turning down and the wheels back to back adjusting. Best stick to 20, 24, 37,47 or 55. I have converted both the 24 and 37 without issues using the drop in wheel sets.

Drop in wheel details

http://www.2mm.org.uk/products/drop-in-wheels.html

Cheers

Paul

Thanks.

I've looked at the 08 chassis article on the 2mm SA website and, although I've now built a working etched chasis in 7mm, I think I'll be needing new spectacles before trying it in 2mm :D. Drop in bogie wheels it is.

The Farish 24 is a little early for my desired era but it looks like such a nice model and the 24 is such an interesting shape, with all those body side grilles and that nose detail, that I might be tempted to stretch things a little to accommodate one.

The 24 is a lovely model, with it's excellent slow running and whisper quiet mechanism, ideal for a shunting layout in my opinion.

It has the added bonus that drop in wheels would make it an easy conversion to 2 mil.

Regards

Roy

• RMweb Gold

There are new tool Class 25/1 and 25/2 due from Farish around September / October this year. I believe it will use the same mechanism as the Class 24 so the drop-in wheelsets should be suitable for this. 

Tom. 

• RMweb Premium

Yes 2mm has come a long way in recent years.

In Farish as discussed above the retooled 08 / 20 / 24 / 37/0 / 47 / 55 / 60 are the way to go. On Farish's agenda are the 25 / 31 / 37/4. In DMUs the 101 / 108 / 150 are all excellent. Plus stock such as the Mk1s and Mk2a carriages, plus numerous retooled wagons, which are basically scaled down from OO, although there are odd omissions such as VDAs, SSA etc.

Breaking the rules of the thread Dapol have also produced 26 / 27 / 52 / 56 / 58 with a 33 and 50 in the pipeline. In DMUs the 153 and 156 are pretty good, with a 142 forecast for sometime in 2015. 

If you want to see what is possible look at these layout threads:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/68652-millers-dale-in-the-80s-br-peak-line-in-n/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/4400-waton/

Archived