GC ramblings

Having, I think, managed to figure out how to post pictures, and having some time to spare as well, here are a few random shots taken while working.

Needless to say it's up to you to figure out where :D

First up a junction

post-110-12648712224925_thumb.jpg

Second should be simple enough

post-110-12648713712906_thumb.jpg

Third, couldn't resist including this. Now I know there is this culture nowadays where you have to point out the obvious, but.......

post-110-12648715452466_thumb.jpg

Once again dead simple even if you don't know the area from a railway angle

post-110-12648716150284_thumb.jpg

Just occasionally a shot from a (fairly rapidly) moving train works just right....

post-110-12648717752736_thumb.jpg

Station closed many years ago, edgings only taken off last year, why?

post-110-12648719026519_thumb.jpg

And finally for now, what I would consider a bit of a stinker :blink: . Watch some clever clogs get it in two minutes flat :P

post-110-12648729685884_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The first is the Junction for the Robin Hood Line on the right, Trent Junction, Derby/London ahead; can't remember the Junction Name (Lenton?).

The second on is just west of Nottingham (Midland!), looking East.

3, 4, & 5 - no idea!

6 is somewhere between Nottingham and Lincoln or Grantham?

7 ECML in the snow (sorry)?

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I'd agree that 2 is Nottingham Midland taken as you approach the station under the main entrance.

4 puts me in mind of the approaches to Nottingham but cannot be because of the overhead. Also makes me think of the ECML at Yaxley but it isn't.

4 is the Man United football halt and the tracks leading into Trafford Park.

6 is probably Lincolnshire, basically because it's the bit of the East Midlands Trains network I'm least likely to recognise! Perhaps somewhere on the GN&GE Joint where there has been some gauge enhancement going on?

Is the last one somewhere near Alsager? On the ground that the OLE looks pretty new and it's the only recent electrification I can think of where an East Midlands trains might be found.

Ok then, 4, 5 and 7 sorted, well done all. :icon_clap:

Nobody had a stab at 3 yet, although there isn't much to give it away, I'll admit. Not that easy to get a picture of, tried 3 times before I got that one. :icon_mutter:

No 6 (I am not a number, etc) Lincolnshire, yes, Joint line, no, bit of a circus, that :icon_winker:

Back to the L1 now

Ah! I knew Nottingham and Old Trafford, but I was a few minutes too late! I know there's a flow of imported steel that runs from Boston to Washwood Heath. As I recall, that started relatively recently: is the removal of the platform edgings at Honington something to do with clearances for the wagons involved in that?

Jim

Possible, but not the reason I was told, the steel is another re-start of a flow from years ago.

First given up by Railfreight, I believe, because it wasn't profitable enough, apparently, due the distances involved running either empty or light engine. One story I heard, probably true, was that a light engine was sent to Boston at the appointed time, only to return light engine because the wagons hadn't been loaded due the ship being late in dock :icon_frustrated:

Well, it was just a guess. My knowledge of the East Midlands empire is pretty much limited to the Liverpool-Manchester service. The last time I went further than that - a trip to Lincoln last March - I was on what I think was the first EMT train of the day: the ECS arrived at Lime Street as three two-car 158s, each in a different livery (Central Trains, Alphaline and SW Trains, as I recall) all rebranded for EMT. This caravan then got split up into two or three trains while in platform 8. Where does the ECS come from, btw? Does it overnight at Edge Hill?

Jim

Well, it was just a guess. My knowledge of the East Midlands empire is pretty much limited to the Liverpool-Manchester service. The last time I went further than that - a trip to Lincoln last March - I was on what I think was the first EMT train of the day: the ECS arrived at Lime Street as three two-car 158s, each in a different livery (Central Trains, Alphaline and SW Trains, as I recall) all rebranded for EMT. This caravan then got split up into two or three trains while in platform 8. Where does the ECS come from, btw? Does it overnight at Edge Hill?

Jim

Booked as a 6 car ECS departing Nottingham around 04.00, varies slightly according to route taken,usually due to engineering works. Arrive Lime Street around 06.00-06.30, then split, first unit forms 06.47 to Norwich with the other two the 07.40ish to Norwich, this one gets very busy usually full and standing by Warrington, sometimes Widnes, but empties out at Manchester, not good if it's shortformed.

Not a bad job really sign on around 03.50, finished on arrival back in Nottingham either 09.30 or 10.30

• RMweb Premium

Booked as a 6 car ECS departing Nottingham around 04.00, varies slightly according to route taken,usually due to engineering works. Arrive Lime Street around 06.00-06.30, then split, first unit forms 06.47 to Norwich with the other two the 07.40ish to Norwich, this one gets very busy usually full and standing by Warrington, sometimes Widnes, but empties out at Manchester, not good if it's shortformed.

Not a bad job really sign on around 03.50, finished on arrival back in Nottingham either 09.30 or 10.30

Is 3 somewhere like Matlock?

36E

Booked as a 6 car ECS departing Nottingham around 04.00...

And from the passenger TT I see all later departures from Liverpool are the return workings of trains that arrive in passenger service from Nottingham or Norwich. Presumably this means that EMT doesn't overnight any trains or base any crews in Liverpool.

At the other end of the day the 2132 into Manchester doesn't have a return working (it certainly used to a few years back) and nor does the 2135 into Liverpool - unless they manage to turn it round in three minutes or its arrival is a lot earlier in the working book. Do either of these return empty to Nottingham?

And from the passenger TT I see all later departures from Liverpool are the return workings of trains that arrive in passenger service from Nottingham or Norwich. Presumably this means that EMT doesn't overnight any trains or base any crews in Liverpool.

At the other end of the day the 2132 into Manchester doesn't have a return working (it certainly used to a few years back) and nor does the 2135 into Liverpool - unless they manage to turn it round in three minutes or its arrival is a lot earlier in the working book. Do either of these return empty to Nottingham?

Hi Edwin, I tried to answer earlier but it got lost in the ether :huh:

Correct, no EMT trains or staff based at Lime St.

The 21.32 arrival routine at Piccadilly is empty it, lock it, back to Nottingham ECS ASAP :icon_wave:

The 21.35 into Lime St attaches to the one that arrived an hour earlier, and is worked back with the rear two coaches locked out, by the crew from the earlier arrival, the crew from the 21.35 arrival travelling 'on the cushions'. The WTT allows seven minutes to do this assuming on time arrival :icon_wow: . The rear two cars are locked out because it's all stops across the Hope Valley, and 4 won't fit at some platforms. :icon_smile:

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Mallard, no 3 is not really anywhere like Matlock, but it is at the end of an EMT route.

Probably a bit unfair this one, it can be hidden from view by the portakabin/relay box or whatever it is.

It's just down the line from here................post-110-12649758755251_thumb.jpg

That's not Worksop is it?

36E

Hi Edwin, I tried to answer earlier but it got lost in the ether :huh:

Correct, no EMT trains or staff based at Lime St.

The 21.32 arrival routine at Piccadilly is empty it, lock it, back to Nottingham ECS ASAP :icon_wave:

The 21.35 into Lime St attaches to the one that arrived an hour earlier, and is worked back with the rear two coaches locked out, by the crew from the earlier arrival, the crew from the 21.35 arrival travelling 'on the cushions'. The WTT allows seven minutes to do this assuming on time arrival :icon_wow: . The rear two cars are locked out because it's all stops across the Hope Valley, and 4 won't fit at some platforms. :icon_smile:

Thanks GC. The wonders of our fragmented railway - four coaches going empty from Liverpool and Manchester to Nottingham and six coaches going empty the other way a few hours later! And if I fancy an evening in Liverpool I'll have to remember not to rely on the 2138 being on time...

• RMweb Premium

If your clue photograph is Worksop, would No. 3 be Whitwell?

David, don't think this is Whitwell as there is no rail connected siding there now as far as I remember. I think it's the end of the Yards West of Worksop, on the North side of the line I suspect. There's quite a lot of interest in the Worksop yards including an outdoor wagon light repair facility and even an 08 lurking at times. Loads of wagons for those that are bent that way as well! :blink:

36E

Mallard, description is just about spot on. :icon_clap:

There used to be, maybe still are, two 08's at Worksop. There was an EWS livered one often to be seen pottering around the yards, and a mostly, I think, rail blue one which never moved far from the wagon shops, if it got to the end of the siding it was a rare occurence.

Often in passing the you could see the rear of it up by the doors, but I only remember seeing it down the yard on one occasion. This was at least 3 years ago, and there seemed to be rather more activity in the yards then. Now it's mostly just trains of HTA's with loco semi-permanently attached.

David, no idea why they lasted so long, but I was always surprised at how close they were to passing trains, and hadn't been removed, much better step than many 'in service' locations.

Think I should answer this one now anyway, apparently it was one of the requirements to clear the route for EMT's Skegness HST service. I presume the reason being that HST stepboard are at the end of the coach whereas all the unit ones are set a little inboard. Then I thought about the loco hauled stock that has gone over the years, but they would all have been a bit shorter, something to do with outswing I suppose?

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I had somewhere around Shireoaks in mind but EMT miss this location by a hairs breadth and was thrown a little by it. You are possibly correct about Worksop yard. From your comments about the outside wagon repairs I take it that the former MGR. wagon repair shop has now been closed. We sometimes used to travel out from Immingham at night to do A and B exams on the 08 which would be put in the shed for us, a cold spooky and deserted location in the small hours. I recall having to go around the building re-activating the gas heaters regularly as they were on timers which cut them off after an hour or so and the mess room had mirrored glass windows so that from inside you couldn't see out but from the outside and the offices opposite you could see in, bah humbug!

The whole of Worksop is a 'cold, spooky and deserted location' and that's during the day!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

I'll have to take a drive into the yard during the day, pretending that I'm lost (like I used to when 'spotting') and see what's going on there these days. Or maybe I'll just ask! <_<

GC. Keep up these locations; your latest I only knew the tunnel!

36E

first unit forms 06.47 to Norwich with the other two the 07.40ish to Norwich, this one gets very busy usually full and standing by Warrington, sometimes Widnes, but empties out at Manchester, not good if it's shortformed.

No Liverpool-Manchester train around the morning rush hour is good. They're generally better than the evening Manchester-Liverpool trains though, if only because you're getting on at the start of the journey.

I travelled back a few months ago on a Friday evening: the train (which might have been Transpennine Express - I don't remember) arrived at Piccadilly in whatever state lies beyond "full and standing", stood for almost ten minutes there while the people fought their way off the train and a whole new trainful fought their way on, travelled down to Oxford Road and spent seven or eight minutes there while the same thing happened again.

I'm on the 09:03 ex-Liverpool South Parkway as far as Oxford Road on Thursday. Coming back early afternoon though, which is much better.

Jim

Archived