BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

I decided that the 'must have' figure for the shop was a women with a supermarket basket ... so I made one ....

she started as the women on the left, I shortened her and changed her to having jeans and she has had a new arm grafted on from another figure ....

post-4476-0-06270300-1436168272_thumb.jpg

Time taken inc making the basket ... two hours

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Those table and chairs are exquisite.

(..but are you spending too much effort on parts that will be hard to see?)

...anyway, here's an idea for any back scenes you may need...

post-12815-0-10838100-1436299177_thumb.jpg

OR you could have saved LOADs of time on interiors if you had have modelled this scene instead!

Kev.

;)

Those table and chairs are exquisite.

(..but are you spending too much effort on parts that will be hard to see?)

...anyway, here's an idea for any back scenes you may need...

attachicon.gifIMG-20120417-00119a.jpg

OR you could have saved LOADs of time on interiors if you had have modelled this scene instead!

Kev.

;)

Well       ............

Yes, you're right of course I'm spending far too much time on interiors, but I enjoy doing these interiors  ... maybe I should give up model railways and take up 'dolls houses' instead.

Funnily enough I am thinking of building some flats as 'under construction' to avoid doing so many interiors! But I would need to do it 'properly'.

Joking apart, I have always thought that it's good to 'semi hide' some detail  ............. by that I mean encourage viewers to get sucked in by looking for detail .... by not putting it all 'out there'.

So some of the detail will be difficult to see ... all the more satisfying when you do get to see it!       Well that's the theory!!

I may list '10 things to look for' as a fun 'game' for children at exhibitions........

Got to get the layout built first!

• Like 1

Very nice, but a little too tidy compared with those I have visited!

^ needs more brown cardboard boxes - everywhere!

Well, here's the updated version ... more boxes, more people ... more stuff on shelves ... still one more figure to add plus more stuff on shelves but am waiting for stuff from Preiser so will now move on and complete when Gaugemaster can deliver....

post-4476-0-60984800-1436440097_thumb.jpg

post-4476-0-21072500-1436440113_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Well, here's the updated version ... more boxes, more people ... more stuff on shelves ... still one more figure to add plus more stuff on shelves but am waiting for stuff from Preiser so will now move on and complete when Gaugemaster can deliver....

attachicon.gifDSC_0120 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0122 (2).JPG

That's more like it! Very nice.

To be honest I can't remember what I achieved at the CMRA event ...... I know I did achieve things but can't remember exactly what!

Any way, here is building #10, both sides, front and back ... one weathered one yet to be weathered... the yellow is masking tape over windows that may have interiors and I want to keep the glazing clear

post-4476-0-38184300-1437689146_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 2

I don't know about anyone else who's reading my blog, but I'm getting bored with tenements. So I decided to go back to tracklaying.

Trouble is that my MTC QJ's won't go around 24 inch radius ... and all my FY points are 24 inch radius!

One of the strange/unique features of PECO points is that all their crossing angles are the same no matter what their 'radius' is. So, for example, you can make a crossover with a 24 inch and a 36 inch radius (or even a 60 inch) and they will line up perfectly. Like wise in the scenario of my FY I can replace a short radius point (24 inch) with a medium radius (36 inch) and the angles will all line up.

post-4476-0-88720900-1438538157_thumb.jpg

Here is one of my MTC QJ's about to enter the 'new' medium radius points.... you can see the new hole for the point motor showing how much longer the new point is.

post-4476-0-70458000-1438538096_thumb.jpg

And it (just) goes around .... it's not the wheelbase, the problem is the relationship between the tender and the 'curtain' at the back of the cab.

post-4476-0-07056400-1438538078_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 4

It's not quite that bad ....

There are 18 FY roads, but of the QJ's will only use 5 of these.

In fact, the MTC (brass) QJ's will only be able to use 2 roads as it is impossible to lift most of the small radius points and replace them with mediums.

I had to sort out the shed today so took advantage to lay out all the low relief backscene buildings I've made so far.......

The cream coloured frontage is for the Railway Hotel which is next to be tackled. The photo does not include the foreground buildings.

post-4476-0-68939800-1438605808_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

In fact, the MTC (brass) QJ's will only be able to use 2 roads as it is impossible to lift most of the small radius points and replace them with mediums.

Hopefully this will explain what I mean...

Firstly there are in fact 'circuits' and hence four fiddle yards placed side by side ... this photos shows FY #1 (at the top) and FY #2 .. each is 5 tracks. The MTC QJs will only work on circuit # 1  so will only ever enter FY #1.

In this photo I have already replaced the point at the very top (track 1) and I have lifted the corresponding point leading into the ladder. I will do the same at the other end of FY # 1 and so QJs will only be able to use tracks 1 & 5.

post-4476-0-37534200-1438669464_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Back to tracklaying .... after a gap of several months!

This is scenic board #4 ( and beyond is #3)and we are looking at it from the exhibition visitor's viewpoint ..... the single track 'regional ' railway line appears at the front of the layout from the fiddle and and then curves to run parallel to the double track China Rail mainline which you can just see in far distance under the cardboard box.

post-4476-0-82079200-1442903635_thumb.jpg

I regret that this photo is not that great, it's a bit cluttered - just a random snapshot to show that I'm making progress!

• Like 1

The next, and last, BIG structure I'm making is the railway hotel.

Whilst it will be based on the same PIKO kit as the tenements I want to make it as different as possible.

So I have commissioned some 3D printed windows .... on the left are the original PIKO ones ... on the right are the 3D printed ones.

Even though I had plenty of the smaller square ones left in stock I had new versions made because the 3d printed frames are slightly thicker and the two would not have looked right side by side

post-4476-0-54992000-1443424504_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Having seen a layout that took 17 years to get to an exhibition because of all the detail I can confirm it's worth it, that's what lifts a layout from very good to stunning. As long as you enjoy it then I'd say keep going, we are only mildly impatient because we want to see the finished article and forums are a big tease on that with daily access rather than occasional updates ;)

I've now set up scenic boards 3 (white top) and 4 (grey top)

We are looking at this from the r/h front.

DSC_0101.jpg

Tracklaying is progressing slowly ... partly because of some faulty PECO code 83 concrete track.... one set of fixings are not moulded properly or maybe the rail was slide in wrongly either way one rail has 'popped out' in six yards of track .... Hattons are replacing but it's wasted hours of my time.

The cream frontage is the hotel ... my next project. If you look closely you can see the first of my 3D printed windows.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good, Paul. Looking forward to seeing it first hand.

With Remagen on hold this weekend, I spend a bit of time working on the motorway bridge, or rather the construction vehicles for it. Here are two Kibri 4 axle tipper and a cement pump truck. All still work in progress, but getting there...

post-23643-0-36448200-1445189363_thumb.jpg

• Like 3