BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

I've had a frustrating and time consuming morning - off to work soon!

One of the problems I've always had with the layout is testing/adjusting - in so many cases testing could only be done when the layout is fully assembled - which now means at exhibitions.

And of course at exhibitions there is no chance to adjust things if things are not quite right!

And so it has been with the working level crossing barriers - this needed a lot of adjustment and there was no time at Stevenage to do any. Today have spent about two solid hours and I think I've finally got it perfect. Here is a photo showing the problem - the rear barrier should be fully down - but it isn't!

501102271_RUTHCMRA2(2).jpg.7672dcf2b1c36c1ab584b82e9195d7fa.jpg

The problem now was working by myself I needed to be in two places at the same time - DIFFICULT!  I had to be under the baseboard to make adjustments to the relays but also standing up to see what the adjustments looked like. After four or five attempts the rear barrier settled down properly - that then revealed that in the down position the barriers weren't level as seen here ….

DSC_0629.JPG.45ec83e4ed955d5b958fe17c1b3527cd.JPG

So by raising the supports each side this problem has been improved...

DSC_0630.JPG.a0d16efd40634d04738a1feba5dba501.JPG

Then more adjustments to make sure the barriers went up to the same angle …..

DSC_0633.JPG.989381b8139703829685267688f1d5b7.JPG

One last check - did they look OK with a vehicle passing across?  

DSC_0634.JPG.adb513a747d1acfcaa79adc64c1919ff.JPG

Job done!

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Can you add a longer protection endplate, or extend the current ones, so the backscene doesn't actually touch the ground to prevent it happening again. You'd probably get away with gluing on some stripwood of the same thickness to the side of the protecting plates as they only bear the load in compression.

We have just discovered that our investigation to Trainswest has been put back to 2021 so now only have two exhibitions booked for 2020. If anyone reading this is in a position to offer an invite in 2020 please send me a PM. The layout is 26ft x 10ft and requires a team of six and I regret we can't consider one day shows.

Our current bookings are ...

2019 Warley and Fareham 

2020 Aly Paly and Peterborough

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

On 10/04/2019 at 23:51, PaulRhB said:

Can you add a longer protection endplate, or extend the current ones, so the backscene doesn't actually touch the ground to prevent it happening again. You'd probably get away with gluing on some stripwood of the same thickness to the side of the protecting plates as they only bear the load in compression.

Hello

Thanks for your interest but you have misunderstood the issue.

The end protectors do extend beyond the boards and so the backscene is held off the floor already.

So the problem was exactly the opposite - the bridge support was at the top of the upright board and gravity separated it from the baseboard  edge when the board was moved around - it just needs gluing back in place. I hope that makes sense.

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 16:53, timbowilts said:

So all that stuff that was delivered on Tuesday is now on the walls???

Do you hire yourself out as a shed liner by any chance?

Tim T

I had help from an ex-work colleague who now works as a house renovator - yes all on the walls in just over two days and all electrics in place hidden behind the plasterboard - can't hang around at my age!

I have tried to create scenes I've seen (no pun intended) in China. One I was reminded of recently when I viewed an old video was workers cadging a lift in a coal car.

I searched the Preiser range, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I found some workmen like this one …...

DSC_0011.JPG.52e74cb24c4d1a81988e77af2eecf2cb.JPG

But their legs were going in the wrong direction and so had to cut them off at the knee and re-orientated them ….

DSC_0013.JPG.b08392ae3af227fe5d40bd1721a16f48.JPG

They need some repainting (including their skin colour!) but will eventually look something like this ….

DSC_0017.JPG.a602bf3fee31b7e26c1559f1759789e4.JPG

• Like 4

I have spent the day on several issues including sorting some problems we had at the Stevenage show.

One odd problem was the long class 25G coaches hitting the recently added surface mounted point motor when running into track 10 via the PECO Setrack curved point. I started by cutting/filing away at the point motor in the hope that it would allow the coaches to pass without any problems

IMG_20190501_180922.jpg.f7436f05d92546b1b7e5ec2c637d4db5.jpg

But the XL Baggage and the CA diner still hit it when taking the tight radius - see the photo below.

DSC_0029.JPG.e608455fbae89d55d4ad82d082f4e223.JPG

So have abandoned modifying the point motor and decided to take the easy way out …….. swapping the Class 25G passenger train with the container train. Therefore the long passenger cars now go in/out of track # 6 and through the larger radius of the curved point

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

6 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

I have spent the day on several issues including sorting some problems we had at the Stevenage show.

One odd problem was the long class 25G coaches hitting the recently added surface mounted point motor when running into track 10 via the PECO Setrack curved point. I started by cutting/filing away at the point motor in the hope that it would allow the coaches to pass without any problems

IMG_20190501_180922.jpg.f7436f05d92546b1b7e5ec2c637d4db5.jpg

But the XL Baggage and the CA diner still hit it when taking the tight radius - see the photo below.

IMG_20190501_180702.jpg.12dbf4786f1705fda38cb2492d099ad3.jpg

So have abandoned modifying the point motor and decided to take the easy way out …….. swapping the Class 25G passenger train with the container train. Therefore the long passenger cars now go in/out of track # 6 and through the larger radius of the curved point

Would it not work if the point motor was fitted to the other end of the tie-bar and turned around 180 degrees to sit further back along the outside wider curved leg of the point rather than inside the tight curved bit?

Edited by Satan's Goldfish

2 hours ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Would it not work if the point motor was fitted to the other end of the tie-bar and turned around 180 degrees to sit further back along the outside wider curved leg of the point rather than inside the tight curved bit?

Thanks . You're absolutely right - a case of 'fridge blindness' on my behalf - I just didn't see that option. 

It would have been the best way forward, but now that I've wasted a precious hour messing with the point motor I am inclined to just swap the trains over as where I am now it's the quickest/easiest option and as each train only comes in/ goes out of one dedicated road the problem will no longer arise. Thanks for taking an interest.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1

I have been doing more repairs/corrections to the layout. 

We always had a curious DCC issue ( at least curious to those of us not used to DCC! ). I have broken the layout into 4 separate power districts corresponding to the four circuits. The problem was caused by accidently linking circuit 2 & 3 which meant that a short on 2 would close down 3 as well. I've now sorted the problem ( well I thought I had but it needed testing). 

So I set up a couple of boards (inc the one that had had the problem) and tested the DCC. All correct!  A short on any track 1,2,3 or 4 only shuts down that circuit - job done!

IMG_20190505_173014.jpg.0ff50735b382c66c2b85826547a33e32.jpg

• Like 1

7.30am this morning at the shed looked like this ……………

1057779440_DSC_0068(2).JPG.ec5ad286040782ab1d4aa77ed281f177.JPG

5pm tonight and we're half way there …………….

DSC_0069.JPG.b3da367a3d55ebe9d0c3e5561a15be0f.JPG

The plasterer comes back next Sunday and it will all be finished … then after painting I can get some shelves and a workbench up and then it's 'GO! GO! GO!'

• Like 2

I've been going through stock boxes and dealing with any problems as I find them.

One such problem were a couple of LINK C70 coal gondolas - and most of you will say that you have never heard of LINK models and all I can say is 'leave it like that!'

They are certainly the worst Chinese model manufacturer and as far as I know they could be the worst model manufacturer FULL STOP.

They are 'kits' with a basic body and 'add-on parts'. I bought two kits - one did not have the add-on parts. My dealer in HK sent me four sets of add-on parts but they are soooo badly modelled that I still ended up with only one step not the four needed.

Anyway, after several hours work today I have two fairly good models - from one side only!

Here is the first completed model ………… first from the non-detailed side - note no step and just big square holes underneath the lip

DSC_0075.JPG.99eb69aca4e1a52ecec7cf032bcf29af.JPG

The square holes take very small, very fiddly, very poorly modelled hooks and I'm not bothering on the non-viewing side.

Here is the other side with the one and only step, the hooks fitted and weathering applied...……..

DSC_0074.JPG.32061900487aed6922b3cb8fb2dcbade.JPG

Now to finish the other one!

AVOID LINK MODELS!

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I have just discovered a selection of really excellent video clips taken by Simon Colbeck and posted on his Bowandelivesteam (UK) website.

Simon joined my operating team at Stevenage and has posted three videos - the one of the double banked coal train leaving is about the best video I've seen of the layout. It's posted here on his 'contact' page but you have to scroll down quite a way to find it!

https://www.bowandelivesteamuk.com/contact

I'm trying to find a way to post it directly into this thread.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is it a fridge or a dryer you share your room with ?

If it is a fridge I totally agree - just to have an excuse that I am not the only one with a fridge in the summer house/workshop... :)

13 minutes ago, Vecchio said:

Is it a fridge or a dryer you share your room with ?

If it is a fridge I totally agree - just to have an excuse that I am not the only one with a fridge in the summer house/workshop... :)

It's neither - it's our new oven and hob for our new kitchen which is being put in over the next week or so and just storing those bits until they can be fitted - but .............................

I like you're thinking.............. small fridge on my shopping list! Along with electric kettle!

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

• RMweb Premium

Sure you find something decent. I have a small one which was surplus in the family- just right for me and at special occasions like birthday parties or Christmas my wife is allowed using it as an "overflow fridge"... :):)

and of course it is just to extend the shelf life of your unopened cyanoacrylate glue...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Progress on the shed continues …………… this time I didn't want untidy shelves with random junk on display, I wanted 'nice'.

So it just so happened that we are having a new kitchen fitted and just by chance these old cabinets fitted my shed - with about 1/16th inch to spare!

IMG_20190529_191431.jpg.f54018a165488b01940bffceeddde418.jpg

And in case you think I'm joking about the bit about only 1/16th of an inch to spare - I'm not!  The cabinets had to be high so that they hid the fuseboxn and at that height with the angle of the roof they fitted in with aboiut 1/16th of an inch to spare!

IMG_20190530_071955.jpg.0ee8140c20bc40e283cd0f1f7426b2aa.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Have been busy in the shed recently. I have got rid of most of my non-Chinese stuff/clutter and the main wall will be exclusively China based - pictures, plates etc.

It's still a work in progress (note the masking tape on the walls and woodwork!) but to the left the main wall is nearly finished …………………...

IMG_20190603_184102.jpg.e765e98da859415e8954d19efb6dd90b.jpg

To the right is a bit less advanced ……………...

IMG_20190603_185724.jpg.6ded7b95136b0431d0302f4c15c236a9.jpg

• Like 8

The latest additions are blinds - firstly to make the shed more 'homely' and secondly to protect the interior from getting too hot in summer when the late afternoon sun shines in..............

IMG_20190611_122820.jpg.4f585640cee6283c56bcb27159c07af6.jpg

Also my vintage TT layout now has a permanent home - it can easily be removed if needed at a show ...............

IMG_20190611_122804.jpg.9abeb208995c667cef1148d595249176.jpg

• Like 7