BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

3 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

the layout booker of a major exhibition sent me a PM telling me that he wouldn't be booking the layout because it wasn't visitor friendly as no-one related to it as it was Chinese and to overcome this I needed to have cameos to entertain visitors. He pointed out that he had seen our supermarket cameo and advised that we 'needed more like that'. Now considering that we have 15 illuminated shop/hotel interiors I was rather surprised by his comment!

I'm afraid that just sums up the British exhibition scene for me!

Most shows exist to cater for the typical British enthusiast and the few who do, only really want something small and cheap - possibly so they can get additional free advertising in "Continental Modeller".

Unfortunately, that rather leaves you between a rock and a hard place. Would you consider travelling to Utrecht, Sedan or Cologne for example? It may be worth exploring venues in Europe as they could afford you and should have the interest. Not that there are large populations of Chinese people living there, you understand but because they are more open to different subjects.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Allegheny1600 said:

I'm afraid that just sums up the British exhibition scene for me!

Would you consider travelling to Utrecht, Sedan or Cologne for example? It may be worth exploring venues in Europe as they could afford you and should have the interest. Not that there are large populations of Chinese people living there, you understand but because they are more open to different subjects.

Absolutely!  Although I don't drive myself, so it's really a case if my 'team' are up for it.

I was genuinely surprised/shocked when the guy only appeared to have seen one cameo - out of 15!  Maybe we ned to monitor the lighting in the shops better so that the shops really stand out. Set up day at Warley seemed darker in retrospect, as if they hadn't turned all the hall lights up to full brilliance and so our shops really stood out. One of my team thinks the lighting in the hall was brighter on Sat/Sun and therefore our interiors didn't show up so much - not sure if that's 100% true but might explain it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think just promoting the cameos making it ‘relevant’ is a bit rich to be honest! It’s certainly a good representation to those who know a little bit but some will want a bit more spectacle. I think invites to Fareham and Warley prove it has the quality for big shows so don’t get disheartened. 

Your realistic dour look is maybe why it ‘pops out’ less to the casual or less familiar viewer so maybe adding some Chinese ‘bling’ might help?

how about adding a larger red circular China rail logo above the name and maybe a red scroll or banner with relevant Chinese script to the name or at either end? Something that is instantly China at a glance and contrasts with the grey? I had Swiss flags on my RhB layout in an attempt to tell people where it was and many still assumed it was German! 

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

I had Swiss flags on my RhB layout in an attempt to tell people where it was and many still assumed it was German! 

You're lucky they didn't think it was the first-aid post...

• Funny 5

9 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Your realistic dour look is maybe why it ‘pops out’ less to the casual or less familiar viewer so maybe adding some Chinese ‘bling’ might help?

how about adding a larger red circular China rail logo above the name and maybe a red scroll or banner with relevant Chinese script to the name or at either end? 

TBH one of my team was telling yesterday that we have already gone far enough down that road - if not perhaps too far. He thinks what we need is more on the layout (rather than around the layout) that shouts China. What he/we are thinking of some HO scale Lion dancers, if only Preiser made some...………..

th.jpg.5cfbb73b70c29d4814c7bc6d2cccb88e.jpg

Another idea is a faded Chairman Mao wall poster - I'll search the internet for one now...………..

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

And I know exactly where those two posters can go ….

IMG_20191205_125517.jpg.51b81a5226e3f3747d07f140e19be5cc.jpg

An we can have some western tourists photographing them!

Now I l know that by 2004 these would be very old posters (very old!!), but the Mao one does shout 'CHINA!' and as my friend Colin always says, @It's not what the man on the top of the Clapham omnibus sees … it's what he thinks he sees that counts.'

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Now I l know that by 2004 these would be very old posters (very old!!), but the Mao one does shout 'CHINA!' and as my friend Colin always says, @It's not what the man on the top of the Clapham omnibus sees … it's what he thinks he sees that counts.'

Never underestimate peoples ignorance!!!

My friend, Bob had an 1880's layout that included a first world war lorry - most people didn't spot that one was decades out of sync with the other, they just saw "old" things!

Having so little real experience of China, I couldn't say anything about anything that would shout "China" but the Mau posters do it for me. Your represented location may be like old Arkwright Town in Derbyshire before it was moved - all the graffiti there was decades out of date. 

Cheers,

John.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

TBH one of my team was telling yesterday that we have already gone far enough down that road - if not perhaps too far. He thinks what we need is more on the layout (rather than around the layout) that shouts China. What he/we are thinking of some HO scale Lion dancers, if only Preiser made some...………..

th.jpg.5cfbb73b70c29d4814c7bc6d2cccb88e.jpg

Another idea is a faded Chairman Mao wall poster - I'll search the internet for one now...………..

Problem is it’s a balance between catching them with the first glance and then adding more detail like you say. The initial presentation is to tell them it’s China, when I was watching a few who commented didn’t know where it was and it was others telling them and your operators that set the scene.

Your layout sign didn’t seem to attract attention up top so maybe something below the fascia angled out that’s got a bit of contrast. I’m not suggesting full on Chinatown but maybe something based on the red plaques the QJ’s used to carry with the rail symbol and Beijiao beneath it?

I’m not sure how you physically accent the cameos as the lit ones would benefit from a darker environment, which could be a canopy to control light,  but then the photographers popping up would be hard to see ;) 

How do you make a model of China relevant to a UK audience? Well China is pretty universally known as the supplier of everything so I’m pretty sure it’s relevant and known to most adults. What strikes me about videos of China rail is the variety of colours and noise. Maybe forming up some of the more colourful trains to contrast with the grey blocks or adding a bit more sound volume on locos fitted with it to catch attention? 

It’s very good but the starkness of realisim doesn’t attract everyone to stop which a few bold colour accents can.

Do you want invites for a realistic model of China Rail or a spectacular display? The bright and concentrated ‘gimmicks’ of the Railway Challenge TV layouts certainly attract viewers as a spectacle but there are an equal number of show managers who only want one or two of those and more of the realistic layouts.

If you pm me the layout details I’ll certainly put them forward to our Show Manager for 2021 as he always wants several Continental layouts. We’ve had Australian, Austrian, Swiss, German, US and Spanish and the Aussie layout, Broadford I think?, was in many ways similar to yours in presentation and attracted plenty of viewers. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

And I know exactly where those two posters can go ….

IMG_20191205_125517.jpg.51b81a5226e3f3747d07f140e19be5cc.jpg

An we can have some western tourists photographing them!

Might I suggest a third poster - and there is an obvious place up which you could shove it!  I spent most of my time at Warley looking at four layouts: yours, Süd Harz, Norwich Central and the Scottish one (Ballahulish?).  Quality is quality.  I spot for two shows, but you've been to one and are invalid for the other.

Bill

As we have discussed, one of the problems is not the amount of detail but the fact that the detail is hidden or at least not 'in your face'.  Many of the coaches have full interior detail - something I love doing, but totally in the dark because I think coach lighting is too gimmicky. But have been experimenting with different lighting options  - am seriously thinking of going this route. Maybe a tad too bright, but we'll never know until we get to an exhibition and each hall lighting is different ………… sorry for the poor photo …………...

DSC_0247.JPG.e5cbfe946dd6cb71e952ab59f747cb84.JPG

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

One of the frustrations of running Beijiao is that is has so many features which for various reasons we have never exploited at exhibitions. TBH we have been to four exhibitions now and NEVER even attempted to deploy some of the layout's more advanced features because we have been struggling to cope with the basics of just running trains.

There is only a finite number of shows which we will attend and so I am determined that we will use/deploy all the layouts features at our next show in Aly Paly. These include :

1. Trains snaking across the two crossovers in the centre of the layout from the bi-directional line at the front to the anti-clockwise China Rail line.

2. One steam/diesel double header on the bi-directional which was a feature on the Ji-Tong line in 2004 as Diesel driver training began....

1257390519_2004_1204Image0043(2).JPG.4ca86ce7b575309e1c3b7a0a555a04fe.JPG

3. Getting the Faller roadway system working. One suggestion sent to me as a PM after Warley was that we install a Faller roadway to add interest to the front of the layout. Well we've had a Faller roadway installed for the last 4 years - but we've never got around to using it at exhibitions!  Well first of all we need to make it 100% reliable as we can't afford to have an operator dedicated to supervising it. So I have sent in the road crew to work on the road to make it nice and smooth……..

IMG_20191212_185054.jpg.4921bbbcaded7c4b853797c3fc81fde6.jpg

• Like 8

Another issue I want to deal with is allowing operators at the back to follow their trains on the scenic section.

They suggested a mirror but I've gone high tech with a video system. Have just mocked up a trial at one end ….

IMG_20191213_144728.jpg.2b98dd7777a717d39e4e48b0587baafe.jpg

Nice clear screen ………………...

IMG_20191213_144734.jpg.b78d0850e7a0ef8e91cf196ad447c686.jpg

• Like 2

One of my favourite bits on the layout was the street market..... but my team thought it was too hidden and that many people just never saw it.

So I removed it from the layout - luckily it was on an MDF sub-base...……………..

DSC_0218.JPG.5a1297155ac0b814657021e9f8bb040a.JPG

This photo shows where the market used to be … right at the back of the layout and only seen between the flats at the front of the layout and even then parts were hidden from view...

DSC_0222.JPG.e630769b0e623e801d1b3e38b36f2c3b.JPG

I stripped the original base and decided to remake it to fit whatever location we found for it. I experimented with new positions. This one was great as it was right in the front of the layout ,but made no sense as it was away from the shopping area and the tourist hotel and needed a car park.......

DSC_0220.JPG.664731b3973fe047441d2e8ad2e8cfd6.JPG

Now decide what to do - split the market into two.

The most interesting/unique stalls to be across the road from the hotel.

1443606544_DSC_0232(2).JPG.2d9fa3a04c42bbf2181fff2c56361be6.JPG

Note the tourists taking photos...

DSC_0230_(1).JPG.b173b0a8922a03042410331aa888f054.JPG

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 8

I spent a ridiculous amount of time yesterday working on the market - I lengthened it by  about a scale 10 inches and widened it by the same amount by adding a kerb stone around the paving stones - it was two hours work - can you tell the difference??????????????????

But seriously, it allowed me to add a railing around the market which I think makes sense. 

264151653_DSC_0231(2).JPG.f649e2ef11414c7bf609535a9bc18b95.JPG

There will be a gap directly opposite the hotel entrance and a small area to the left where I will add 3D prints of my wife and best (female)  friends who will be having a look around the market whilst me and my best (male) friends are photographing steam!

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I'm unlikely to see BEIJIAO, as I live about 1/3rd of the world away, however I have followed its story here on RMWeb.  I think you have done a fantastic job of building an exhibition layout that is NOT "another GWR BLT"  (or cue other similar).  I don't think adding more cameo's is going to be much help- some of them might be fun to add (the Chairman Meow poster up ^ is a good one to stick on a building- I do like the line if you can't take a joke you should never have joined too...), but I think the layout would stand as it is very well.  It's just that as someone else pointed out, there are many shows who think that having a 3x3'  HOn layout, they can then get the free advertising of a "continental" layout too...and what you have created should stand a bunch of tests, to my mind.  It's a decent sized roundy round, with continuous movement, lots of eye candy for details...it seems to me to be a very good layout for a show, even if the direct interest of most is not China in 2003.

I'd describe it a bit as sour grapes- if I organized rather than exibited, then I'd be after you to attend.

If I make it to Warley next year, I hope you are back there- Heaton Lodge is apparently going, and I will see if the pocketbook, and work, will let me bail to the UK for a 4-6 day trip...

James from Victoria, Canada 

On 18/12/2019 at 16:23, peach james said:

If I make it to Warley next year, I hope you are back there- Heaton Lodge is apparently going, and I will see if the pocketbook, and work, will let me bail to the UK for a 4-6 day trip...

James from Victoria, Canada 

I regret layout rarely (if ever) get invited back to Warley. But we are at the BIG London show in March next year.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 13/12/2019 at 17:45, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Another issue I want to deal with is allowing operators at the back to follow their trains on the scenic section.

They suggested a mirror but I've gone high tech with a video system. Have just mocked up a trial at one end ….

IMG_20191213_144728.jpg.2b98dd7777a717d39e4e48b0587baafe.jpg

Nice clear screen ………………...

IMG_20191213_144734.jpg.b78d0850e7a0ef8e91cf196ad447c686.jpg

I am very interested to see that you're using CCTV to monitor your layout as I'd like to do precisely the same thing on mine. Having done some research there seems to be an bewildering choice out there..!  Please would you mind telling me who makes the system that you're using and where you acquired it?

Many thanks!

Ben

32 minutes ago, benjy14 said:

I am very interested to see that you're using CCTV to monitor your layout as I'd like to do precisely the same thing on mine. Having done some research there seems to be an bewildering choice out there..!  Please would you mind telling me who makes the system that you're using and where you acquired it?

Many thanks!

Ben

I bought it off ebay - it cost £12.69 but is now about £13.69, here is the link

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Parking-Camera-Kit-Rear-View-Reversing-HD-Monitor-Night-Vision-Van-Bus-Truck/233377766086?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I have tested it in the shed but not with trains running as we can only run trains at exhibitions. It seems fine. The only downside is that it has markings down each side of the images as it is designed as a car reversing monitor, but that doesn't seem to be a problem in our case.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA