BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

• RMweb Premium

Might be worthwhile adding a crash barrier round the turning circles on the roadway to prevent an errant vehicle hitting a train or crashing onto the floor.

Don’t worry if it doesn’t work perfectly - at a Koln exhibition Faller had a layout demonstrating their roadway.  There was a crash at a set of traffic lights when one vehicle went through on red.  Then the siren went off in the fire station and all the fire engines shot out - just as another fire engine was trying to go in the wrong way, serious pile up.  It did entertain the crowd though!

• Funny 2

11 hours ago, Vecchio said:

What are you using the cameras for? To see the train positions while you sit at the fiddle yard? 

Yes, the operators of China Rail and bi-directional lines are positioned outside the layout (not in the traditional operating well)  at the back by the fiddle yard.

The two operators of the industrial railway operate from inside the layout oval.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Vecchio said:

something I need to copy. Could you please be so kind and tell me what equipment you are using? Also as a PM if you don't want to make advertisements... 

Thanks 

Vecchio

Bought on ebay from China at approx £14 per end ie one camera and one video screen. Will send you a PM with the link. 

We have received negative comments about our solid grey backscenes. The idea has been that the backscenes are 'the void' but the idea hasn't always been understood.

So we have used this dawn scene as an inspiration ……………………...

1298217536_DSC_0312(2).JPG.3eeff11de7db1f8efa1d35279bd9537d.JPG

and we have been experimenting ……………… four versions in three photos including two versions of the sun ...

Version 1 - my favourite - the grey at the bottom is a bit too dark and the top 20% should be clean

IMG_20200216_122151.jpg.1fb6269895f8ae3172a7bba872fcc667.jpg

Version 2

IMG_20200216_121857.jpg.da0c2610a6e82b62119d2896beed5347.jpg

Versions 3 & 4 - shows the two versions of the sun colour and I prefer the l/h one. 

IMG_20200216_122026.jpg.f738534662c8e14b9f6ed297e16c6c01.jpg

We are still experimenting - comments?

• Like 1

I like version #1, as it works as a gradual and ambiguous transition from the shadowy ground level surfaces to the sky.

You could of course paint on a distant mountain silhouette, as seen in your sample photo...

Cheers

Scott

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I have to say I much prefer option 1. The dark grey at the bottom blends in nicely with ground better, so you don't get that 'cliff-edge' look.

I think if the height and density of the smokey clouds is varied across the length of the layout, this will look great.

• RMweb Premium

I think you definitely have to paint in a semblance of a mountain skyline before using the peach colour sky.

Edit to add:  I had no problem wit te impressionistic all over grey, but once you start to go for realism then I think you have to go the whole hog

Edited by Andy Hayter
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

For me somewhere between 1 and 2. Having been several times in China I have seen the hazy winter sun - or rather not seen it, because of the pollution. So you get some grey-yellowish sky, and when the sun is low you might not see it but just the bright yellow sky. This was at Tianjin, Beijing, Shanghai and Baojing  between 2000 and 2010. Was in Beijing last autumn, it has improved a lot. Sky was blue (probably because of windy weather) and the visibility was good. 

An example of the hazy sky - crossing the Jang tse in November 2003

597567821_Theyangtse.JPG.955d1b1bc9959f7eb51b741970ef1a80.JPG

• Like 5

Off to Model Rail Scotland now with the team's other layout ……………...

Al Turner's amazing 'THE BRIDGE AT REMAGEN' in N gauge - set in Germany in WW2.

If you're coming to Glasgow this weekend please come and say hello to us - it's exactly the same crew who run BEIJIAO!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Off to Model Rail Scotland now with the team's other layout ……………...

Al Turner's amazing 'THE BRIDGE AT REMAGEN' in N gauge - set in Germany in WW2.

Glasgow is a bit far and I have seen your (or Al's) brilliant layout 3 times. Wish you all the best for the show!

Vecchio

• RMweb Gold
On 20/02/2020 at 09:39, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Now hopefully better - ran the truck 30 times around this section and no problems!! IMG_20200220_072624.jpg.4e21a38363922f15ec38aa14ba457251.jpg

Apologies if in grandma egg sucking territory here, but I find for long/large areas which need to be flat, a suitably graded sheet of sandpaper PVA'd to a length of 2 x 1 or similar works wonders, being my current method for flattening large expanses of concrete hardstanding.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Version 1 or 2 to me looks best. While I understood the concept of the neutral stage backdrop it didn’t ‘disappear’ in the flesh. Possibly because the buildings were similar colours that they didn’t separate visually like a stage set or melt into the background. I liked the idea but I almost found my eye drawn to it rather than ignoring it. Probably it works on stage because of the strong lighting of the foreground drawing the eye compared to the dark background? 
The variation in tone of the haze just helps my eye. 

Paul,  a bit late to the table but I think all your backscenes are maybe too bright.  I think it's in the name; it's a backscene and we really want the human mark 1 eyeball to follow the train (or the car) and not stalled by what's going on behind.  But really like your thinking.  Bill

• Agree 1

Aly Paly is less than 3 weeks away now, time to take stock.

Since Fareham in October 2019 we have made significant changes to the layout to improve its interaction with viewers by improved appearance and performance.  Compared to Fareham the layout you see at Aly Paly will be quite different …………...

1. The layout lowered by 2 inches to make it more accessible to the viewers and to broaden the number of team members who can operate over the high backscene

2. Completely new and beefed-up transformer box built by a retired electronics engineer to overcome power drop outs caused by overheating.

3. New local control panels for both the industrial scenic and FY sections to speed up operation

4. Abandoning industrial railway timetable to speed up operation

5. More banked uphill trains on the industrial which proved very popular with viewers.

6. New working Faller roadway running the whole length of the layout at the front - to add interest to the front which was relatively under-developed.

7, New truck-stop feature at front of layout 

8. New illuminated signal cabin with fully detailed interior.

9. Fully detailed open air market which was previously 'hidden' moved to a far more prominent place.

10. New display boards highlighting various features

11. New illuminated 17 car passenger train with fully detailed interiors

12. Two completely new trains on the industrial to add more variety

13. All steam locos now sound equipped. 

14, TV cameras and monitors to improve operation

15. New more dramatic backscene

16. New Beijing Olympics 2008 poster to set the scene/time

Hoping to see you at Aly Paly!

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 20/02/2020 at 19:35, Theakerr said:

Still think the grey gives the most authentic feeling.  FYI I have been to China too.

Personally, I agree with you in many ways. However, the new version will be more dramatic, more eye-catching and hopefully more popular with visitors.

• Like 1