BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

2 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

'Secret loco projects' - did I say that out loud?

Oops .... have let the cat out of the bag!

Yes, I want to give my layout more of a 'wow' factor and have locos that are not straight out of the Bachmann catalogue, so I am working with Peter on two projects. I'm not saying what they are yet, but let me give you an idea.

This is a project we looked at, but it needed too much work to be attempted at the moment.

ROCO make an HO USA S160 2-8-0

ROCO have done various European versions

ROCO were originally floating a Chinese version - known as the KD6 class - but they never went ahead as there were too few pre-orders

When we looked into Peter doing a 'one-off' we discovered it needed a new cab which was a bridge too far at this stage - but maybe one day!

Paul, I could have a go at 3D CADing the new cab if you have drawings or photos for reference.

37 minutes ago, steve45 said:

Could you make an insurance claim against the supplier/carrier - it maybe too late now?

I regret it's too late now and TBH I was at fault in so far as some of the internal packing inside the model box was missing in both cases. There were 6/7 locos in the box all together. All the locos with all the internal packing survived intact. The two with a vital piece missing didn't.

All I can say is that I have learnt my lesson. TBH I was so depressed when I realised that I was in part at least to blame because I had lost part of the packaging that I just couldn't face even looking at the two broken ones until yesterday. 

Hey Hoy! 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

29 minutes ago, Al. said:

Paul, I could have a go at 3D CADing the new cab if you have drawings or photos for reference.

Al

Thanks for the offer, but that project is well off in the distance.

We have two smashed up Bachmann QJs to deal with first and then the two 'secret' projects and several other sound/lights issues to deal with, but thanks and I'll get back to you as/when the KD6 project is on the horizon.

Paul

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

For the last four months I have been furloughed from work - and done absolutely no modelling and no work on the layout.

On Tuesday I went back to work - yesterday on my day off, I spent six hours working on the layout.

Go figure!!

Mojo?

Mike.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 25/10/2020 at 12:50, steve W said:

Paul' s always had a way ....

Steve W

Hello Steve,

I don't know why you say that, but I must admit that I am trying to recruit Ruth to the operating team ....

649162307_2015-06-1619_57.38(4).jpg.85ea490749d5fc31bb6108137d1a242a.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1

As I have said before, I have done no modelling/layout building since early May, but that doesn't mean that I have been idle.

I have been converting my garage into a proper storage area fit for BEIJIAO. I always stored the FY boards in the garage, but now I needed to store the scenic boards there as well.

When we bought the house two years ago the garage had an asbestos roof which had some minor leaks.

IMG_20200826_075252.jpg.b756e88552def8a0771e5ca24772888c.jpg

It now has a new steel roof and insulated ceiling - all done professionally and costing a small fortune

IMG_20201029_081728.jpg.1c0788c92edba915cc9d276f04028709.jpg

So I decided to insulate the garage myself to save money. This was the garage a few months back - it wasn't usually quite this untidy, but I had been looking for something!

IMG_20200404_120746.jpg.f187fe97b7744928095c6bb733cb94d6.jpg

So, having sought advice from a fellow member of Twickenham MRC, I started to insulate the garage. I had kept bits and pieces of insulation and plasterboard from the professional job I had done on my shed - RESULT!

There were also bits left over from the new insulated ceiling in the garage - RESULT!

Finally a friend said that he had some insulation left over from when he insulated his own shed - RESULT!

As a consequence, the whole insulation job on the garage cost just over £100 - RESULT!!!!!!

This is what the garage looks like today ...

DSC_0229.JPG.7ac59c7934d489d275a3926115f00506.JPG

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

According to my Google Translate phone App, these are hand instructions for crane operation, approximate distance, stop, raise lower, raise fast and lower fast. Could easily be adapted for fiddle yard operations though, and a nice talking point.

• Like 1

On 29/10/2020 at 08:34, TEAMYAKIMA said:

It now has a new steel roof and insulated ceiling - all done professionally and costing a small fortune

IMG_20201029_081728.jpg.1c0788c92edba915cc9d276f04028709.jpg

Very nice indeed, but I have a question.  That is a very shallow-pitched roof, so how is the corrugated join sealed under the ridge pieces (especially considering you have now insulated the underside)?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steveNCB7754 said:

Very nice indeed, but I have a question.  That is a very shallow-pitched roof, so how is the corrugated join sealed under the ridge pieces (especially considering you have now insulated the underside)?

TBH I have no idea - I just let them get on with it. Do you think there might be a problem?

• Like 1

On 06/11/2020 at 17:11, TEAMYAKIMA said:

TBH I have no idea - I just let them get on with it. Do you think there might be a problem?

Well, it depends how it was done.  I have no experience of the specific (coated?) steel corrugated profile they used in your case, but I do have experience of designing/putting up 'Big 6' corrugated cement/fibre roofing, in an agricultural setting.  In that case, the roof pitches are steeper than yours, but even there, the 'Crown Pieces' (corrugated ridge sections) interlock with the roof sheet corrugations and there is a mastic seal laid between them (and between adjacent roof sheets).  Without it, the wind may blow rain water back up under the sheets and thus into the building.  Yours has a flat ridge profile (over the corrugations), so did they use some sort of moulded profile (which we cannot see) between the roof sheets and the ridge pieces?  Otherwise, with such a low-pitched roof as yours, water could very easily be blown back up the roof and enter via the ridge (which you have now insulated the underside of).

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

With the layout's scenic boards out of my shed and safely stored in my garage I can get on with sorting my shed.

Previously my shed was a mash up between a workshop and a man cave, but I absolutely hate the term 'man cave' and prefer the rather pretentious expression, 'museum of my life'. So I had to decide : workshop or man cave?

I chose man cave  museum of my life.

At one end of the shed I had some recycled kitchen cabinets which housed all sorts of 'bits' ....

IMG_20201028_153448.jpg.2ff57fef637ea2d7108a78aa2f6d9ff3.jpg

So, that had to go and this is what's replaced it - BTW an individual showcase is on it's way for the Gauge 1 QJ

IMG_20201105_182825.jpg.69ebe1a1c14506a2344f19421561feb8.jpg

• Like 9