BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

Looks good Paul. How is the track ballasting going on?

Hello Al

Sorry for the long delay other things have been taking my time recently..... here are some photos taken today .... the three main running tracks are 80% ballasted... the industrial lines/sidings are less so...

A recently weathered Bachmann SY runs through with some empties on the steelwork branch (must be a photo charter as the loco should be tender first at this point but that wouldn't show the headboard in sunlight!

post-4476-0-69544600-1460546899_thumb.jpg

Whilst that was happening a single engine QJ hauled oil tank runs into town on the regional line - strange that the coal load looks so high - maybe another photo charter!!

post-4476-0-36850900-1460546913_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to fit a quart into ma pint pot and compromise is essential - but annoying!  Baseboard width 36 inches is the problem. Here is the current issue..............

Industrial platforms in China tend to be ridiculously long and ridiculously wide for the few passengers they (now) carry. So I want to give that impression.

But behind the platform are some of the tenements with full interior shop detail.

I need the wall to be there for reasons that will become obvious later but if the wall at the back of the platform is too high you won't see any of the detail. So I have lowered the platform to as low as I can and have narrowed the platform as much as possible and lowered the wall as much as possible.

The problem is that I am quite tall (6ft 3.5inches) so my eye level is higher than most and at the moment I can view the layout from up close, the problem lies at an exhibition where the public will be at least 18inches away from the baseboard and most viewers eye lines will be 6-9 inches lower.

Here is my best compromise - a small mock up

post-4476-0-43063900-1461653399_thumb.jpg

post-4476-0-04881300-1461652683_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I am trying to fit a quart into ma pint pot and compromise is essential - but annoying!  Baseboard width 36 inches is the problem. Here is the current issue..............

Industrial platforms in China tend to be ridiculously long and ridiculously wide for the few passengers they (now) carry. So I want to give that impression.

But behind the platform are some of the tenements with full interior shop detail.

I need the wall to be there for reasons that will become obvious later but if the wall at the back of the platform is too high you won't see any of the detail. So I have lowered the platform to as low as I can and have narrowed the platform as much as possible and lowered the wall as much as possible.

The problem is that I am quite tall (6ft 3.5inches) so my eye level is higher than most and at the moment I can view the layout from up close, the problem lies at an exhibition where the public will be at least 18inches away from the baseboard and most viewers eye lines will be 6-9 inches lower.

Here is my best compromise - a small mock up

attachicon.gifDSC_0186.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0189 (2).JPG

Two quick thoughts:

1. Shorter legs for exhibitions than you use at home (for the layout, not your good self that is)?

2. Jack the buildings up so the wall is higher on the railway side than the buildings side - this might conflict with your plans for the wall of course (one of those lean-to shanty towns made from scrap bricks, wood and corrugated iron?).

Two quick thoughts:

1. Shorter legs for exhibitions than you use at home (for the layout, not your good self that is)?

2. Jack the buildings up so the wall is higher on the railway side than the buildings side - this might conflict with your plans for the wall of course (one of those lean-to shanty towns made from scrap bricks, wood and corrugated iron?).

Thanks for your interest.

I like high layouts so in fact the layout will be 3 inches higher at exhibitions - 4ft ....it was originally going to be 4ft 3inches but that was too high even for me!

Paul

Thanks for your interest.

I like high layouts so in fact the layout will be 3 inches higher at exhibitions - 4ft ....it was originally going to be 4ft 3inches but that was too high even for me!

Paul

Joking apart I think it's quite nice sometimes to part hide some nice detail .... to part show it .... to encourage viewers to make an effort to look for what is not immediately obvious ...but of course you have to hint that there is 'more' there to see.

That all looks very good. Those locos look the part as do the apartment blocks.

I have often wondered who Bachmann makes these Chinese models for as the Chinese themselves do not seem to be interested in model trains ? I assume that most Chinese do not have the time (many work 10 hours per day,7 days per week) and there is a lack of space in most houses. My wife is Chinese and she had never seen a model train before I showed her some in Australia. I have never been able to find a hobby shop in Beijing or Shanghai.

Edited by brian777999

Is there a reason you can't raise the buildings a bit on wood and top the concrete wall with railings allowing you to see through to the detail?

I think the balance is just about right now .... I think railings are too posh for an industrial station..... rough concrete sections more in keeping. 

I will raise the buildings slightly if necessary ... am having a test running in a school hall in July will then be able to see the whole picture for the first time. Buildings will only be sitting on the boards at that stage so able to make adjustments heightwise if necessary.

I will be having my first ever running session (TEST!) at the CMRA MODELLER'S DAY in Watford on July 16th , in fact it will be the first time ever that all the boards will joined up together- anyone else attending this convention?

Odd sort of day  ... sorted out a few minor issues ......

One of my pet issues is over-long couplers .... not very prototypical!

So worked on the couplings on a Bachmann JS .......and replaced them with Kadees 

First the front couplers .... a short Kadee # 143 replaces the standard Bachmann coupler. Note that the Kadee coupler head is actually slightly smaller ( nearer scale size )

post-4476-0-35492800-1462913124_thumb.jpg

Then the tenders ... note how the Bachmann original is particularly ugly!  And long! The Kadee is a very heavily modified Kadee long shank # 31

post-4476-0-39277200-1462913149_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

The sheer insanity of building (basically by myself) a 26ft x 10ft portable exhibition layout in a 13ft 6inch x 7ft 6inch shed has really hit home today. I have wasted the entire day just doing some very basic baseboard woodwork ..... but had to move everything into the back garden as no room in the shed ...

The boards lock into one another but could move around if the van goes over a speed hump too fast and so have made a stringer to hold the fiddle yard boards together when in the van... like this ...

post-4476-0-94916700-1463329743_thumb.jpg

And this .....

post-4476-0-25354700-1463329764_thumb.jpg

Virtually a day's work!

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What have you got stopping the track hitting the frame above with both axis of lateral movement?

Only asking because I found with a previous layout I needed two bolts into at least one board to stop the brace plate twisting and yours looks very thin.

My last G scale one I actually built a box all the flat boards slid into, which is fast and risk free although heavy, to give more separation and then just strapped them in like your plate. The bonus was it was also a good table and layout support.

Hello Paul

The boards lock into each other

The cannot twist nor can they shunt backwards.forwards as they are locked together as long as they can't move vertically. So the purpose of the struts is purely to stop the boards moving vertically....... I hope that makes sense.

• Like 1

Have been working on the steelworks incline ..... stupidly cut the roadbed just wide enough for the track so have had to widen it with foamboard.

post-4476-0-42261900-1463588660_thumb.jpg

The motorway bridge will act as the scenic break at this end on the layout ... it will cross all four tracks at r/h side of this board.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

Have acquired another QJ ... # 6800 Iron Bull ... bit of a celebrity loco ... maybe reserved for a steam special ?

attachicon.gifDSC_0191 (2).JPG

Have acquired another QJ ... # 6800 Iron Bull ... bit of a celebrity loco ... maybe reserved for a steam special ?

attachicon.gifDSC_0191 (2).JPG

Hi Paul, I photographed QJ 6800 on Nancha Depot in January 1994, cant add a link to the photo unfortunately.

Progress is being made with the (under construction) motorway bridge - thanks to Al (Remagen) Turner.

The bridge is being built miles away and will shortly be brought over for a trial fitting.....

post-4476-0-37068200-1463829915_thumb.jpg

post-4476-0-00681900-1463829936_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 3

More progress today.

The contiguous piling walls for the steelworks tunnel is done. Pile caps also done. Just need to know the gauge clearance at the tunnel entrance to set the facia beam then this ready for cladding and base coating. Once at that stage, it'll be time for landscaping.

post-23643-0-89994900-1463850059.jpg

• Like 2

I watched this with great interest yesterday, the name of the yard is Wulong in the city of Fuxin, I saw two Sy 2-8-2's in action one being Sy 1396, being easily identified by her Zhu De decorated headboard, as Paul has said, only a matter of day's before steam finishes at Fuxin.