BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

Have spent the day in the garden doing woodwork.

Originally all FY boards were painted white. They soon got dirty - spilt coffee etc - then I realised that that the white really shone out at you if you looked under the bridge or looked through the holes in the end backscene. So had to paint a part grey to blend it in...

post-4476-0-76094200-1535750749_thumb.jpg

Today went the whole hog .....................

post-4476-0-05648000-1535750798_thumb.jpg

Also re-furbished / remade the FY screens ..................

post-4476-0-14570100-1535751107_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

Have also been working on the flag issue.

Am fitting Velcro on the front of the baseboards across the joints between scenic boards 1/2 and 3/4.  Have mounted the Velcro on MDF so it sits slightly forward so that the flag will drape nicely over the drape.

post-4476-0-16256800-1535751252_thumb.jpg

Here is a mock-up of the flag in flag although in reality it will go across the board joint.

post-4476-0-24770700-1535751278_thumb.jpg

Now this is REALLY OCD ...............

Spent the afternoon making a storage box for the flags so that they arrive at an exhibition nice and flat ...... this is the mark 4 version!!!

post-4476-0-54797300-1535751311_thumb.jpg

OCD or what?

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

Am fitting Velcro on the front of the baseboards across the joints between scenic boards 1/2 and 3/4.  Have mounted the Velcro on MDF so it sits slightly forward so that the flag will drape nicely over the drape.

attachicon.gifDSC_0493.JPG

Here is a mock-up of the flag in flag although in reality it will go across the board joint.

attachicon.gifDSC_0497.JPG

Spent the afternoon making a storage box for the flags so that they arrive at an exhibition nice and flat ...... this is the mark 4 version!!!

attachicon.gifDSC_0508.JPG

OCD or what?

That's not OCD -  wait until you start on the container to put the box that keeps the flags flat in, in.   :O  :no:

I know next to nothing about Chinese railways but I find this project fascinating Teamyakima! Stunning in scale and scope. I particularly like the apartment blocks, they are sp atmospheric you feel like you are almost there! Fantastic, unique modelling.

David

I know next to nothing about Chinese railways but I find this project fascinating Teamyakima! Stunning in scale and scope. I particularly like the apartment blocks, they are sp atmospheric you feel like you are almost there! Fantastic, unique modelling.

David

Hello David

Many thanks.

I am not an expert on Chinese railways, I am just recreating the sights I saw on photographic trips from 1993 to 2015.

I have been in this hobby so long that I need to do 'different things'  and also all the mainstream stuff has already been done far better than I could ever achieve.

From 1979 onwards I've done American HO (unusual in 1979!) , American O, American ON30 & American ON3. When I first did American ON30 in 1982 it was unique, nowadays you can hardly visit a major show without at least one American ON30 logging layout!

Already planning the next layout - but will be sticking to Chinese HO.

• Like 3

You don't seem to have done a GWR branch line though

Did two in the late 1970's plus, in the 1990's, British O and German G and dabbled in P4. 

I've got too much stock now to move away from Chinese HO - and hopefully Chinese HO layouts will remain a niche market as far as exhibitions are concerned for a while yet at least.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifDSC_0493.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0497.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0508.JPG

OCD or what?

Isn't it really CDO and not OCD? ;)

I have been working on the project  recently - honestly!! It's just mainly been 'behind the scenes' stuff - not very photogenic!

I have been spending hours working on the route selection issue. Not actually on the electronics, but the thinking behind the route selection options available to operators - in other words I have been putting a lot of thought into how the layout will be operated at an exhibition and how I can make that easier (and stressfree) for the operators.

The route selection is restricted (by the electronics) to 25 options. There are 18 FY roads and so a simple 'roundy roundy' route with the trains returning to their original FY road will be designated 1,2,3 etc.

There will be six more complex options where trains traverse one or two crossovers ( # 8 turnouts ) on the scenic section to gain entry to (or leave) a major freight yard assumed to be just off scene and yet again return to their original FY road - these routes will require operators to liaise with each other.

I have also been gluing bits back onto locos - all that detail on Bachmann steamers is great but soooo fragile!

Lastly, have been working on train formations and allocating specific locos to specific trains.

Hopefully, this will make life at Stevenage much easier for the team and more interesting for the public.

Yesterday I did something I haven't done for over 40 years - started scratch building a structure.

It's going to be the industrial railway depot. My depot is inspired by the one at Tiefa as the industrial passanger service is inspired by Tiefa, but I cannot find any photos of the depot in any of my files - can anyone help?

Anyway, I've made a start ...... but I cannot make up my mind on one issue. The doors..........................

My original idea was to have two aluminium double doors side by side, like this mock up .....

post-4476-0-88701600-1537598116_thumb.jpg

But I'm worried that makes it look too much like a shopping mall entrance - and this station might only see three trains a day in each direction and then only workers going to the steel mill.

So now thinking of a single double door and narrowing the building to keep balance as the windows on one side are already in place.

post-4476-0-21136900-1537598140_thumb.jpg

This isn't Tiefa, but maybe this is the closest I have on file - Baiyin depot. 

post-4476-0-11551200-1537598958_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday I did something I haven't done for over 40 years - started scratch building a structure.

It's going to be the industrial railway depot. My depot is inspired by the one at Tiefa as the industrial passanger service is inspired by Tiefa, but I cannot find any photos of the depot in any of my files - can anyone help?

Anyway, I've made a start ...... but I cannot make up my mind on one issue. The doors..........................

My original idea was to have two aluminium double doors side by side, like this mock up .....

attachicon.gifDSC_0622 (1).JPG

But I'm worried that makes it look too much like a shopping mall entrance - and this station might only see three trains a day in each direction and then only workers going to the steel mill.

So now thinking of a single double door and narrowing the building to keep balance as the windows on one side are already in place.

attachicon.gifDSC_0624.JPG

This isn't Tiefa, but maybe this is the closest I have on file - Baiyin depot. 

attachicon.gifDSC_0601.JPG

Single door Paul, like the photo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The depot is NOT finished, but I'm keen to start two new projects. I want more variety on the industrial line.

I want to make a train like this .....

attachicon.gifDSC_0162 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0145 - Copy.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0406 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0413 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0402 (2).JPG

Those Airfix travelling cranes got around a bit then...

Good morning everyone.

This is a bit off-topic so PLEASE don't reply to this request here on this thread as eventually I will delete this particular post - if you can help please send me a PM.

Has anyone out there got a S12 caboose they would sell?  I have four and I thought that would be enough but I've decided that ideally I need three more - please send me PM if you can help.

Thanks

I've been upgrading/repairing various stock.

This is a Bachmann QJ fitted with the shortest Kadee NEM fitting coupling - sticks out - not acceptable

post-4476-0-24373100-1538990052_thumb.jpg

Here it is fitted with a Bachmann cranked-up coupling - overscale - not acceptable

post-4476-0-49957800-1538990380_thumb.jpg

Here it is after a bit of work - a standard non-NEM coupling fitted in its place ... neat !

post-4476-0-35454100-1538990070_thumb.jpg

post-4476-0-24373100-1538990052_thumb.jpg

post-4476-0-35454100-1538990070_thumb.jpg

post-4476-0-49957800-1538990380_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 2

I was depressed/alarmed yesterday when I spent my whole day off working on the project - and compared it with how much I had achieved!

One small job I worked on was wagon loads.

Recently I bought three C64K gondola cars from a firm called China Garden.  They came with wood loads .....

post-4476-0-33246600-1539260903_thumb.jpg

Now I was somewhat torn.............. I have quite a lot of empty C64k cars without loads already and so wanted to make use of these loads, but TBH they are a bit crude.

An awful amount of work went into making them by hand - there are dozens of individually cut pieces of wood in each load all glued together and each piece is real wood and therefore unique.

But in real life there are also verticals that hold everything together above the height of the car. So I sacrificed one load and 'picked off' some of the pieces in order to make two better ones.

+-post-4476-0-55132200-1539260921_thumb.jpg

The trouble was that some of the logs are really very big - larger diameter than I wanted , so I had to pick off many pieces to get enough thin ones.

I have cheated a bit as I only put uprights on one side as I don't think you notice there're not present on the non-viewing side. In fact the non-viewing side shows where I've robbed this one to provide uprights ...

post-4476-0-26313500-1539260959_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

May I ask whether anyone reading this has any Bachmann S12 cabooses they would be prepared to sell.

I have four and ideally need another two or even three.

If anyone has one/two/three may I request that they send me a PM rather than add to this thread please.

Thank you.

I have been working on the layout - honest!  But as usual lately not much to show for it.

Have completed the second 'improved' wood load and also made a pipe load

post-4476-0-04172700-1539451879_thumb.jpg

This is very much a posed photo .... this loco and wagons will never find themselves on the industrial line, but the lighting for photography is better there.

I had wanted to keep the more decorated QJs for the showcase as they were not that common and this one 6800 (Iron Bull) had been withdrawn and plinthed by 2005. But am short of QJs as two are still sitting in Hong Kong awaiting collection and so 6800 and 2470 will have to cover for them.

• Like 2