BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

Have just found some photos that Peter took on Monday ..... it shows the two brass QJs running .... a first!  

The train is running anti-clockwise and 6911 (the lead loco) was happy handling the train as a single header. We added 6165 for effect, but it doesn't like running through certain curves in that direction and so will run only clockwise - the very thing testing is designed to discover!

post-4476-0-04857900-1540980920_thumb.jpg

post-4476-0-22799000-1540980876_thumb.jpg

post-4476-0-88366000-1540980849_thumb.jpg

post-4476-0-13800400-1540980831_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

One issue that has never been addressed is the scrap train going uphill to the steelworks. So far it's been made up of empty 40ft gondolas.

With the pressure off now (a bit!) I have begun looking into this aspect.

I've found resin castings of steel bales for 50 ft gondolas on ebay and I bought a 'sample'.  A bit of work with a X-acto saw produced this ...............

post-4476-0-81408400-1541328028_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 5

OK, one VERY quick photo today - rushing about doing ebay etc and now dashing into London for the first 'Xmas get together' of 2018!

So here is the state of play as of now - had a couple of last minute mess-ups otherwise all windows would have been in place - will take a few minutes to cure but I don't have a few minutes at the moment.

The annexe is still not progressed - just the main building

post-4476-0-61479100-1542213457_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

INFO REQUEST!

Does anyone have video of the banking station at Chengde?  In latter years photography at the banking station was forbidden but maybe someone has footage. All I want to know is how the locos signalled each other when ready to leave uphill.

My memory is that the train loco sounded its horn and the bankers replied. But did both locos respond one after another ? Or just one of them? And was it horns or whistles or either?

Maybe a PM would be the best way to take this forward if you have the info I need rather than clog this thread.

Thanks

I have spent the day doing various minor things on the layout. In particular I just noticed that the industrial passenger train was not weathered - BIG mistake!!!

So have so far weathered two out the four - hopefully you can tell which two!

post-4476-0-66465000-1542826075_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 5

INFO REQUEST!

Does anyone have video of the banking station at Chengde?  In latter years photography at the banking station was forbidden but maybe someone has footage. All I want to know is how the locos signalled each other when ready to leave uphill.

My memory is that the train loco sounded its horn and the bankers replied. But did both locos respond one after another ? Or just one of them? And was it horns or whistles or either?

Maybe a PM would be the best way to take this forward if you have the info I need rather than clog this thread.

Thanks

http://david-longman.com/China_Chengde.html

Edited by jonklein611
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

With the house move just seven days away now all work on the layout has to stop whilst we pack everything for the move - especially as I'll be away at the Peterborough show this weekend with a certain WW2 German layout - please say 'hello' if you attend.

So the last job has been to semi-permanently fix down the two latest buildings - in part to avoid damage having them transported in separate boxes! In both cases they are screwed in from underneath so that if needed I can remove them for upgrades/repairs.

Firstly the freight shed - it was on the layout at Bristol but just sat on the platform, not fixed down. I would still like to add more interior detail and I will be able to as I can lift it off at some future time.

post-4476-0-05679500-1543909466_thumb.jpg

Secondly, the depot which now has the annexe permanently attached and all the windows fitted. Hopefully I can add a few more details (like doors!) before Stevenage in January.

post-4476-0-06690600-1543909707_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 2

One question has been puzzling me for a bit - how do you pronounce the layout's name ?

Is it Beige-ee-ow ?

Stu

Stu.

Pronounced - Bay (as in the area of water) - J (as in the first part of Joe) - Aw! (As I trapping your fingers in the car door....)

Hope that helps.

I am at the Peterborough show with Al Turner's ww2 German n gauge layout The Bridge at Remagen - come and say 'hello' if you attend !

And don't forget Beijiao will be at the CMRA show in Stevenage in January.

Edited by Al.