BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

Nearly there!

Before I fit the 'finished' interior of the restaurant I thought I'd take a photo ...... may add some more details before I fit the ceiling but I need to move on and get the building finished .....

post-4476-0-21440300-1413022689_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 4

Nearly finished .... just a bit more interior to do and maybe some more passers by on the pavement and some people queuing in the café and some more air conditioners and a light in the café ..... blah, blah, blah!

post-4476-0-34501200-1413149512_thumb.jpg

Seriously, I'm about done with this building for the moment .... for the time being at least I have started work on another (different) kitbash of a more modern block of apartments.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 3

Have moved on to building the first of 2.5 apartment blocks to be placed at the l/h end front as 'sight blockers' ... that's two full size buildings and a low relief one.....

And, yes, the door will need to be taller!

post-4476-0-67229400-1413841995_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 4

Managed a couple of hours work on the building before going to work ...... roof fitted, end wall fitted, various bows in the walls straightened ....

post-4476-0-61127700-1414062256_thumb.jpg

The building is 'low relief' in both planes .... that is to say that it is half depth and about one third or even one quarter in length .... just chopped at the board end.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working away on buildings, although somewhat distracted by Xmas shopping and researching some issues for the layout which has resulted in me spending two whole days trawling through my photo library - more of that next time!

This shows the original half-relief block at the back ... with the next full depth block shown under construction ...

post-4476-0-95542900-1415125994_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Have had a major disaster with this building - more on that later.

For the meantime am experimenting with signs and adverts ... here's one

attachicon.gifDSC_0172modified.png

and another

attachicon.gifDSC_0123modified.png

Paul. Hope not too much of a disaster. We can have look tomorrow.

Signs look good.

First one is for a fish restaurant called Silver River Fish -refers to the Milky Way.

Second one is a advert for China Mobile telecoms company.

Al ( of Remagen bridge fame ) has been over to see the layout and brought the bridge he's working on for this project ...

post-4476-0-11564700-1416145780_thumb.jpg

Amazing work - thanks Al!

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 4

OK ..... not so much physical progress to-day but lots of planning progress.

Took the opportunity to fit some advert/signs to the existing (1940's style) tenement, plus added a couple more air conditioners - and a chicken!

post-4476-0-88224200-1416164074_thumb.jpg

A rather poor photo of the signs

post-4476-0-40369600-1416164076.jpg

And started on the next .... I have decided to modify the design slightly with regards the 'shops and businesses' on the ground floor ... eight single units as opposed to four double ones. Here is one panel to the new design (r/h) and one unmodified one (r/h)

post-4476-0-39016800-1416164037_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Al

I am (quite seriously) thinking on setting the layout at about 6.30am to 8am .... so most of the shops haven't opened yet ! And so I can model them with the shutters down!!And it also make sense for the industrial passenger train ... probably only runs at shift change.

Joking aside ( was I joking ?!? ) there will be dozens of retail units and I can't afford the time or money to fit them all out as per the ones I've done already .... here's my justification for lots of closed shutters ....

post-4476-0-18119000-1417348874_thumb.jpg

Yes, to be honest that was my plan .... it's the interiors that take the time. However I will still limit the number of interiors as otherwise there would be a lot of similar ones ... very often (back in the day) many Chinese shops sold exactly the same items.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

• 3 weeks later...

I have been working on tenement # 2 for about 5 weeks. It is 50% longer than # 1.

#1 was four flats wide, # 2 is six wide. Eventually there will be two like # 1, two like # 2 and (hopefully) one monster eight flats wide.

Here are both just posed on the layout ... # 2 is about 80% finished .... needs interiors and some extra weathering...... and some more air conditioning units!

post-4476-0-44923600-1418971442_thumb.jpg

post-4476-0-26748900-1418971980_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 5

Last week 11 more Piko 61146 kits arrived  ........ good job that I've got 11 days off over Xmas!

I've spent today making up 'panels' ............. this will be the next building .......

post-4476-0-20650300-1419203816_thumb.jpg

This will be a new design with the ground floor being apartments not retail units............. doorways still to be made full size!

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1

Have a total of 9 days off over Xmas and New Year, so hoping to make some significant progress...

Boxing Day (day#3) and have been concentrating on the three tenements at the l/h front of the layout - scenic board #1.

Noon on Boxing Day and I have tried a mock up of how things might look  ..... The whiteboard represents the backscene separating the scenic section from the FY.

The backscene is 'stepped'  ..... the unpainted baseboard represents the first of the fiddle yard boards and so the buiing and backscene will be removable. The purpose of the tenements is to hide the fact that the trains are curving away into the FY at the back of the oval ..... I hope that makes sense.

post-4476-0-16504400-1419600783_thumb.jpg

post-4476-0-92921700-1419600748_thumb.jpg

How much more progress today? Will post again at the end of the day.

• Like 4