BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Back from China

Have been experimenting with upgrading the buildings I had previously signed off as 'done' - at this rate the layout will never be ready to exhibit!!

Here is the first experimental sign ... bigger and attached to the balcony as opposed to small and hidden underneath the balcony.

post-4476-0-21759300-1426498960_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Still not 100% back into modelling a week after my China trip - jet lag and old age! Am bored with making interiors so am fitting more security bars and weathering.

Have finally (nearly) finished the first of the non-balconied (1970/80s) tenements .....

Here is the (nearly) finished item head on ... photographed outside under natural light...

post-4476-0-36958100-1427037344_thumb.jpg

And on a random baseboard just to show how it will look on the layout

post-4476-0-40633900-1427037324_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

It's certainly cracking on, the details are looking great. How many blocks are building in total?

To be absolutely honest off the top of my head I can't remember ..... will check later but I think it's 13.

The one shown in my last post is actually (in effect) low relief in the sense that whilst it is 98% full depth it sits against a backscene and so has only one 'face'. There are four fully 3D blocks and nine low-relief ones with only one face .... I think!

This next photo (below) was taken in Dec last year and shows the building I've just 'finished' in situ against the (white) backscene that will hide the fiddle yard ..... in front of it are two of the then embryonic fully 3d blocks I mentioned.

post-4476-0-53506800-1427040228_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I know I don't need to tell you this but..

..the window bars are great but always come new chrome plated and never black.
Unfortunately, chrome costs money and so it is made as thin as possible. I estimate about 2 atoms thick! To save even more money, the cheapest steel's surface is not prepared to take the chrome.
Thus, the window bar's shiny 'superficial' metal surface lasts about 2 weeks before it flakes, peels, blows or even falls off! Most probably, it just plain dissolves in the atmosphere!

Your last photo shows 'new' window bars!
(OK they have been up long enough for the rust to stain the concrete...)

Great work and progress.
I particularly like your externally mounted AC units. Are they bought or do you 'mass make' them?

Kev.

.the window bars are great but always come new chrome plated and never black.

To be honest I didn't quite understand the science bit but I take your point. Black is the only suitable spray paint I had handy ... to be honest I think they are more weathered in reality than the photo shows, but I will work on them more

A/C units are Bachmann OO ones filed down to HO - YES, filed down from OO to HO!!!

I've bought about 120 of them

PAul

• 2 weeks later...

Having reduced my work hours to 32 I am now able to do the same amount of modelling without being quite so manic.  This week I spent a day trying to edit down the 2300 stil photos I took in china ..... in addition to the 7 hours of video!

I have also been doing various bits and pieces with the tenements .......... here is the latest  ...... 1980s/90s style with posh shops underneath .... this will be positioned next to the hotel hence the posh shops...

post-4476-0-14735200-1427972687_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I'll get back to that 1980s/90s tenement later .............

Sometimes I feel I need to take 'before and after' photos of a modelling day .... just to prove to myself that I've made any progress!

Here's the latest 1950s tenement at 9am today .....

post-4476-0-36662200-1429430702_thumb.jpg

Hopefully some progress to show later

Whilst this is my personal project I am receiving great support and help from various modelling friends.

Here is a building under construction (in both senses of the phrase) being made by Peter Morgan ....

post-4476-0-03302700-1429520468_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 4

Two more days work and progress has been slow as ever............

Here is the latest 1980s style building (with posh shops) which we last saw a few weeks back ..... hopefully you will notice that the r/h 2/3rds of the frontage is weathered ........... hope to finish this tomorrow before going to work...

post-4476-0-59103900-1429741385_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I dropped in on Paul last weekend to pick up the motorway bridge. Having seen these apartment blocks first hand, I can say the level of care and detail Paul puts into these is outstanding. This is one layout I look forward to see running.

• Like 1

Here is the latest 1950s style tenement. It's different to the other two as it has flats rather than shops on the ground floor.... it's about 80% finished .....it needs some room interiors and lights

DSC_0014.jpg

And here it is in situ on scenic board #1 .... it's the one furthest away at the back.....

DSC_0012.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Like the Freight car weathering especially the challenging yellow tanks. 

Any idea what the prototype carries ?

The yellow tnk prototypes in the yard speak of industrial pollution rather than lading spillage 

Looking forward to seeing the layout in action 

John 

Hello John

Thanks for your comments.

The ones in the prototype photo carry sulphuric acid. I think yellow on China Rail signifies dangerous cargo.

I'm looking forward to seeing the layout in action too!! The layout can only be set up at exhibitions or if I hire the local church hall!

I hope to have more photos to post soon.... watch this space!