BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

• RMweb Gold

No, it was the BeiJing 2008 logo.

Probably just my memory though.

(I can't remember where I left it!)

On another note.

Can the Faller car system be slowed down?

I just feel they always run way too fast.

Kev.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SHMD said:

No, it was the BeiJing 2008 logo.

Can the Faller car system be slowed down? I just feel they always run way too fast.

Interesting point.

Yes, up until recently the layout was set in 2004 and the Beijing Olympics were awarded on July 13th 2001 and up until recently there was no problem, but now I have set the layout in the spring of 2001. So I could move the layout to autumn 2001, but TBH I would expect that Beijing was promoting itself in the years leading up the the award ceremony anyway - or maybe we could look at that as a 'deliberate mistake'.

Faller - yes, I think everyone agrees that 'out of the box' all the vehicles run too fast and I really don't know why Faller don't do something about that issue. There are solutions and I have someone who is going to experiment on my behalf.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Update - yes, there is certainly a problem with the second (white) poster - the BEIJING logo  in the centre of that poster was only announced in 2003.

So. for the moment it is a deliberate mistake.

Don't tie yourself down too much, Paul. It's a fictional layout, after all, so why not give the time period a range - say 2001 - 2005?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Don't tie yourself down too much, Paul. It's a fictional layout, after all, so why not give the time period a range - say 2001 - 2005?

I regret that we will have to agree to disagree to an extent on that issue.....................

Yes, there will be errors - some of which I know about already, but there is nothing I can do about them. For example, the Bachmann tank car, of which I have about 40, were not introduced onto China Rail until 2005 and so were out of period even when the layout was set in 2004 and what's more many are VERY heavily weathered as if they have been in service for many years, but that's all that was available in HO a few years back.

But as regards the bigger picture - the concept of the layout .................................

90% of exhibition visitors will think that steam ended in August 1968 - end of story.

A further 5% will think steam ended in the mid 1970's somewhere in the world

A further 4.9% will think it ended soon after the fall of the berlin wall

So 99.9% of exhibition visitors will be surprised/shocked/amazed to discover that double headed 2-10-2's were hauling container trains in the 21st century. In short, we will be trying to 'educate' a sceptical audience and so I feel we need to be able to say to them - "YES, this was really happening in China in 2001 - we're not making this up." 

Just to explain the reason why we moved the layout from 2004 to 2001. We want to run more steam and in 2004 China Rail was 100% steam free and the only BIG steam (non-industrial) was on the Ji-Tong railway which was not officially part of the national network. So when it was set in 2004 we could only run steam on the bi-directional line at the front of the layout and we said this line was inspired by (based on) the Ji-Tong line. Now we're set in 2001 we can run steam freights on China Rail and still be 100% authentic as there were pockets of steam activity on China Rail (in Inner Mongolia) until 2002 or 2003 depending on who you ask.

Of course another idea would be to run the layout as 2001 on the Saturday of a show - with 50/50 steam/diesel on China Rail - and as 2005 on the Sunday - with China Rail totally steam free.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Have recently moved it to 2001.

Let me guess, that's a 2004 model minibus - yes? 

The Mark 1 Golf is fine though. The posters are nice as well, again a nightmare to get everything in a precise date. I sympathize with your desire to educate the exhibition goer but as you say there eventually becomes a limit to what you can do.

Edited by simonmcp
Posters comments
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Yes, up until recently the layout was set in 2004 and the Beijing Olympics were awarded on July 13th 2001 and up until recently there was no problem, but now I have set the layout in the spring of 2001. So I could move the layout to autumn 2001, but TBH I would expect that Beijing was promoting itself in the years leading up the the award ceremony anyway - or maybe we could look at that as a 'deliberate mistake'.

Just change the posters to "Candidate City" ones...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bids_for_the_2008_Summer_Olympics#/media/File:Beijing_2008_Olympic_bid_logo.svg

Luke

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have been spending loads of time on things which make 0.000000000001% difference to the layout.

This is one of them.

Some of you will remember this cameo - a flatbed truck entering a building site with crates............

truck.jpg.1634bfcca16e73c26e14e116c3e07f72.jpg

Now those crates are white metal - and heavy.  The boards are stored on their side to save space in my garage and the weight of the crates pulled the truck off the layout.

I do not consider myself a modeller as such - I like to 'improve' RTR - and in that context  I decided to upgrade the truck ...........

Firstly, the cab interior was all one colour - and there was no driver! So the first thing I did was to (literally) break the model down into components so that I could gain access to the cab interior.

IMG_20210324_133153.jpg.9f5294cacb578396eca3f6f8c8c14e79.jpg

So I spent hours painting the interior different colours and hunting through my spares box for a suitable HO figure to be the driver. That turned out to be a traditional Bavarian beer drinker in leather shorts - and so he had to be carved about and repainted! Eventually, I got the truck back together.

IMG_20210324_152404.jpg.76fcc7b6e61537df99dcc11acae08972.jpg

But the weight of the crates could still pull the truck off the layout when it's banging about in the back of a van (again stored on its side) on the way to a show and so I decided to make it more secure this time.

IMG_20210324_161151.jpg.1b2ebb96e5b3f3d8ef5da71c88379ff7.jpg

So, it's now back on the layout - and before you ask, "NO! You can't see the cab interior - or the driver!" , but I know he's there!

IMG_20210324_161609.jpg.13fc3811c0ca3946ccddca32e3cdcd86.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

25 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

before you ask, "NO! You can't see the cab interior - or the driver!" , but I know he's there!

He might not be visible, but he could still be charged with having an insecure load. At least he would in the UK, I don't know about China.

Sorry again; I suppose we all have our little OCD foibles, and as an ex-HGV driver myself, details about model trucks on layouts are mine, especially things like how they are positioned. "How on earth did he get that in there??", and often the more pertinent "How on earth will he get out of there??" are my pet questions..... :rolleyes:  :blush:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Sorry again; I suppose we all have our little OCD foibles, and as an ex-HGV driver myself, details about model trucks on layouts are mine, especially things like how they are positioned. "How on earth did he get that in there??", and often the more pertinent "How on earth will he get out of there??" are my pet questions..... :rolleyes:  :blush:

The question here should be ‘how the hell has that load stayed on?’ Or maybe the site manager is looking at the driver and saying ‘其余的在哪里....?’

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

5 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

He might not be visible, but he could still be charged with having an insecure load. At least he would in the UK, I don't know about China.

Yes, I totally agree about the OCD foibles - we all have them and they're all different. Years ago I was asked to help with the scenery on a mountainous Swiss HOm layout. It had tall mountains at the back and a mountain road. I pointed out that the road was so narrow that the bus which was sat on it couldn't get around some of the twists and turns of the road by itself, let alone pass a vehicle coming the other way. FIRST JOB - forget any new scenery - widen the existing road to make it more believable. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

I suppose we all have our little OCD foibles, and as an ex-HGV driver myself, details about model trucks on layouts are mine, especially things like how they are positioned. "How on earth did he get that in there??", and often the more pertinent "How on earth will he get out of there??" are my pet questions..... :rolleyes:  :blush:

That reminds me of one of my OCD issues on the layout and I am dealing with it. It's costing quite a bit of money and taking up hours and hours of my time, but I can't reveal what it is on RMweb because I'm trying to keep it a secret from my operating team, because if I reveal what it is, how much it's costing and how much time it's taking this thread will be inundated with posts from members of my operating team saying things like................

"Why are you wasting your time on that?

"Haven't you got better things to do with your time?

"No-one at an exhibition will notice that! Or care!!"

• Friendly/supportive 4

10 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

That reminds me of one of my OCD issues on the layout and I am dealing with it. It's costing quite a bit of money and taking up hours and hours of my time, but I can't reveal what it is on RMweb because I'm trying to keep it a secret from my operating team, because if I reveal what it is, how much it's costing and how much time it's taking this thread will be inundated with posts from members of my operating team saying things like................

"Why are you wasting your time on that?

"Haven't you got better things to do with your time?

"No-one at an exhibition will notice that! Or care!!"

I dare not ask...

10 minutes ago, Al. said:

I dare not ask...

Another reason that I'm keeping my secret project a secret is that if it all works out as I plan (having spent MANY hours planning it) then I will be hailed as a genius.

On the other hand if it turns out to be an expensive flop and a complete waste of time, I will be publicly humiliated just like that Chuck Connors in that TV series.............

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Paul,

Given the date range, I would expect to see more bikes (not as many as the 90s but still significant numbers). Have you considered the Magnorail system? Would look good to have cyclists along the front of the shops :-)

Cheers

Mark

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, mjenderby said:

Have you considered the Magnorail system? Would look good to have cyclists along the front of the shops :-)

Ha ha, yes, that's just what he needs - another major project to re-work major parts of the layout!! :lol: ;)

Never mind magnorail though, I'd do it by turning the street into two endless conveyor belts - like 'walking floors' at airports, with all the cyclists glued to them, moving in opposite directions. :yes:

of course, actually fitting the conveyor belts to the umpty-nine baseboards that make up this layout "might" be something of a challenge.... :scratchhead:  :paint:  :help:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mjenderby said:

Paul,

Given the date range, I would expect to see more bikes (not as many as the 90s but still significant numbers). Have you considered the Magnorail system? Would look good to have cyclists along the front of the shops :-)

Cheers

Mark

Mark

TBH I bought a Magnorail system many years ago when they came over to the IK and demonstrated at a Warley show and "Yes" I did plan to use it at the time, but the more I looked into it, the more I realised it didn't suit this layout - maybe next time.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

I am posting this photo with a load of trepidation ........................ am I making a terrible blooper?

TBH I am more wondering if the truck is strong enough to support the weight - it seems to have a strong chassis

640921790_IMG_20210327_142020(1).jpg.37adb156d30f5f82e2b48c6dd64a4e1e.jpg

IMG_20210327_150550.jpg.370c652479f4c6d91fa706ba54574630.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

am I making a terrible blooper?

Short answer - Yes.

That truck type, 2-axle rigid, has a payload of 10 tons or so, evenly distributed (eg 10 pallets of 1 ton each), and the load bed would not be strong enough to carry the concentrated weight of a roller like that one, which is also likely to weigh rather more than 10 tons anyway.

Also consider - even if the truck could take the weight, how would the roller be loaded? The load bed is very high up. Plant like that is hauled on low-loaders for several reasons. ;)

Hope that helps. :yes:

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1