BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

52 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Short answer - Yes.

That truck type, 2-axle rigid, has a payload of 10 tons or so, evenly distributed (eg 10 pallets of 1 ton each), and the load bed would not be strong enough to carry the concentrated weight of a roller like that one, which is also likely to weigh rather more than 10 tons anywa

Something like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WIKING-LOW-LOADER-LORRY-RED-SINGLE-AXEL-HO-OO/133683555244?hash=item1f20292bac:g:Fy4AAOSw4wdf~w45

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

No. That low loader is too western.

I'd drop the roller onto a three axle truck and modify it so the back end is sat down hard on the suspension to make too overloaded.

As for how they got it on. Back the truck up to an earth bank and drive it on in the same way your forklift is loading the barrels in the background.

Edited by Al.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Al. said:

Here's another one for you to model.

image.png.53ddf92acc282ceb903fb2ad7eef97ef.png

Many of the 'overloaded truck' photos are of lightweight cargo, in vast quantity. There does come a point where simple physics takes over, and a truck that simply cannot take the weight of the cargo, will break or tip over.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Many of the 'overloaded truck' photos are of lightweight cargo, in vast quantity. There does come a point where simple physics takes over, and a truck that simply cannot take the weight of the cargo, will break or tip over.

Not always the case. China's weight limits are way above what we would allow on UK roads. Check out the weighbridge at 2:20. 130 tons on 4 axles.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 minutes ago, Al. said:

Not always the case. China's weight limits are way above what we would allow on UK roads. Check out the weighbridge at 2:20. 130 tons on 4 axles.

Higher weight limits are one thing. Overloading will still break a truck not built for it.

Pedant mode - 130 tons is on 7 axles in that photo. ;)

• Like 2

Ok, trying to get somewhere believable (to Joe public).

What's the view on this?  Not sure if the floor is supposed to be wood, but can change that.

IMG_20210327_182427.jpg.bf5e3a9a6cadd09e9aefd7ecb23ef111.jpg

Most things have gone badly today, but here's something which went well.  Eight hours ago this was an all beige DB cargo truck, now it's a typical Chines 'blue truck' - I still need to paint the floor of the flatbed

IMG_20210327_184042.jpg.28f1a62531db34bf08237b0965b35caf.jpg...

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 3

On 26/03/2021 at 09:34, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Of course another idea would be to run the layout as 2001 on the Saturday of a show - with 50/50 steam/diesel on China Rail - and as 2005 on the Sunday - with China Rail totally steam free.

Paul, your operating team would love that!  Change half the stock instead of going down the pub!  Bill

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

I have been agonising for days as to whether my painting skills were good enough for the road vehicles, then I saw this on ebay ................

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HO-Scale-Ford-Mondeo-Ghia-Police-Car-Rietze-Ready-For-Your-Layout-1-87/264847872181?hash=item3daa29d0b5:g:O~QAAOSwJ0lfAmex

That's what happens when you let a chameleon sh!t all over your model.

Mike.

• Funny 1

8 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Paul, your operating team would love that!  Change half the stock instead of going down the pub!  Bill

Good morning Bill

TBH It would only be swapping the China Rail steamers for diesels - the industrial steam would stay the same - all the rolling stock on China Rail would stay the same.

That doesn't mean I'm going to do it though!

13 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

What's the view on this?  Not sure if the floor is supposed to be wood, but can change that.

IMG_20210327_182427.jpg.bf5e3a9a6cadd09e9aefd7ecb23ef111.jpg

Still not keen, to be honest :no:  Another factor is that the roller should be chained down to the bed - and the chains would not go over the dropsides either, the tension needed to hold the roller would distort them. Such a truck is not going to be fitted with the anchoring points required; a low loader is.

What would be more impressive on that truck would be something like those 'high & wide' loads, of something like cotton bales or plastic containers :yes:   ... well roped on, of course.... :mosking:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Good morning Bill

TBH It would only be swapping the China Rail steamers for diesels - the industrial steam would stay the same - all the rolling stock on China Rail would stay the same.

It’s still eating into our pub time. I think the vote is against you.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Good morning Bill

7 minutes ago, Al. said:

It’s still eating into our pub time. I think the vote is against you.

Bold added - glad to hear it!! The vote would be against you from us punters too!! Not all of us get to go to both days of an Exhibition. Personally if I ever get to see this layout for real, I'd be a bit miffed if it was on the day there were no steam locos running, given that is the main focus of it - apart from the overloaded trucks :jester:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Have been to B&Q today and bought a load of materials and started on a major upgrade on the layout which may or may not come off in the next few days/weeks, but more of that later - another secret project.

Progress on the scenic section has been steady today but very slow. The truckstop mechanics have gained a trash bin...........

IMG_20210328_191541.jpg.eea8c1323a7b25543855f2945b2f486b.jpg

I have been working on trucks. Last year I bought two identical trucks and repainted one in blue..................

truck2.jpg.1f5f21eb9bf27e2e1b0f9a6dadbb87b6.jpg

It was suggested that Chinese box trucks are not typically blue (unlike open trucks) and so I repainted it light grey.

I then realised I had already got a light grey truck and so I've repainted it again this time in dark grey - and I didn't like that look at all.

So, finally after about 7/8  coats of paint ( each change needed several coats ) it's ended up in white and there is some kind of discussion/argument between the driver and his mate and the owner of the truckstop.

IMG_20210328_185843.jpg.9fd8c92ffadf58b8c45ce391bfdd9311.jpg

What's it about?

A failed repair? Damage done to the truck whilst they were having their breakfast? Asking for a quote for a repair?

Sadly, we'll never know.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Why? Is it behind that bloke having a wee in the wheel arch?

Kev.

(Edit for auto corrupt.)

Edited by SHMD
  • Funny 2