BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

Have been working on the pelmet and one of our worst fears came into reality - dropping a section on its corner...............

IMG_20210511_091200.jpg.1be2eb9aa042c38b2cf5cb03d9e63846.jpg

As you can see we were lucky that it did knock the entire corner off and so there is the basis to build it up. With that in mind I have decided to strengthen the corners by adding a metal plate on the non-viewing side......................

IMG_20210511_091211.jpg.cc8982da363934c2c90600e578dc90fd.jpg

Needs a bit of cleaning up, but it should help - will gradually do all ply corners like that.

• Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

Um... If the L-bracket is only glued in place and not screwed and bolted, then the joint is no stronger than the bond between the glue and the ply.

Luke

A nice hard and sharp metal edge on the corner now. :good:

What's the betting it gets dropped on the scenery, next time..??!! :scratchhead: :scared: 

• Funny 1

• 4 weeks later...

We've been looking at adding signals to the layout. With the standard of China Rail light signals models on the market being very poor quality, we've drawn our own up in CAD and ran a test print.

The ladder is a bit on the fragile side, but the rest look ok. Trail fit due in a couple days to assess it for final adjustments.

196363217_2864162947155801_5867756377070205873_n.jpg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Al. said:

We've been looking at adding signals to the layout. With the standard of China Rail light signals models on the market being very poor quality, we've drawn our own up in CAD and ran a test print.

The ladder is a bit on the fragile side, but the rest look ok. Trail fit due in a couple days to assess it for final adjustments.

That is, as with all design decisions, the difficulty with 3D printing; which parts are best suited to what production process and/or materials. Probably better to make the ladder (or use a commercially available item if possible) in etched brass as a separate item, especially for an exhibition layout (can’t imagine a ‘plastic’ one lasting very long).

Steve

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

7 hours ago, Al. said:

There are quite a few Soviet-designed signals kits / models out there. Do we know what we need?

Just catching up on your thread and a suggestion for the next show from someone who doesn't show anything, i.e. an instant expert!  Why not approach the organizers and openly advise them that you would see this 1st show as a practice session because You and your team have not been able to get together.  You cannot be alone in this predicament and any show organizer who doesn't recognize the problem is not worth a whole lot.  For the actual show make a notice for the punters stating the situation and that things may not work the way they should.  I suspect that there might be a lot of sympathy/empathy from the show goers.   Regardless Good Luck. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

And here is the first 3D printed signal - just for evaluation....

DSC_1605.JPG.e8dd9c11dfcf686dd1f100d20b2b7679.JPG

Thank you Al.

Could you park a DF4 beside it so I can see the signal lamp height in relation to the cab windows.  Also, what are your thoughts on the base? Loots a bit high to me. The top of the concrete plinth should be about the same as sleeper top height.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Lastly, here is the pelmet - so far. Nearly there now ....

DSC_1614.JPG.ceb6eb58318135ae931d81cbfa2b960b.JPG

DSC_1615.JPG.b9f44a2eab907d2103eb94b8145f1a75.JPG

I was a bit "meh" on the idea of adding a pelmet to the layout but seeing the results it makes a statement: -

Without Pelmet = Work In Progress,

With Pelmet = Complete layout and worth having a look.

What's the show schedule now Paul?

Kev.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 08/06/2021 at 08:00, Al. said:

Think that I might give up on the ladder and add an etched one. 

Edit: Sorry, an echo!

PS: Paul, really glad to see that you have your mojo back with this interesting project.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Paul, really glad to see that you have your mojo back with this interesting project.

Joseph

Thank you. TBH I don't think I ever lost my mojo, I just got a bit side tracked occasionally with other railway hobby issues.

The main pressure on me is that after 30 months off the exhibition circuit, and me having been furloughed for most of that time,I will have absolutely no excuse if the layout is not 100% PERFECT when it finally goes on show again. 99.9% perfect will NOT be acceptable.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Think that I might give up on the ladder and add an etched one

TBH I was quite impressed with the lower part of the ladder - the straight bit - it was much stronger than I thought. If we can get the top bit sorted I think the ladder may be better 3D printed - over to the design team on that one.

The photos I posted are on an industrial railway. I will try to find some of China Rail

• Like 1