BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

13 minutes ago, Al. said:

Question on the anti-clockwise train moves. Which track to the trains use while waiting for the bankers to hook up?       

1849386015_Scenicsection.jpg.db178986214cfacbd3882f793ce6f2bc.jpg

Ok, looking at the industrial (black lines) and assuming that the top line (the platform) is #1, then we have tracks 1,2,3 & 4.

The bankers could sit in roads 1 or 2. The uphill (anti-clockwise) trains would then normally run into whichever of those two roads was not occupied by the bankers. The only exception being the passenger. When the passenger is due the bankers must be in #2. 

I have always assumed, therefore, that clockwise (downhill) trains would use track #4 or run straight through on track #3.

Maybe the simplest way for the operators would be having the bankers always in road #2 and all uphill trains always go into the platform road.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 28/06/2021 at 16:42, TEAMYAKIMA said:

... Maybe the simplest way for the operators would be having the bankers always in road #2 and all uphill trains always go into the platform road.

Playing (or maybe, drinking?) Devil's Advocaat here; if a particular track (in the real world/China) is actually restricted to (say) banker engines only, would/should the signalling reflect that (even if only a sign on the pole)?

Steve

• Like 1

On 28/06/2021 at 16:42, TEAMYAKIMA said:

1849386015_Scenicsection.jpg.db178986214cfacbd3882f793ce6f2bc.jpg

Ok, looking at the industrial (black lines) and assuming that the top line (the platform) is #1, then we have tracks 1,2,3 & 4.

The bankers could sit in roads 1 or 2. The uphill (anti-clockwise) trains would then normally run into whichever of those two roads was not occupied by the bankers. The only exception being the passenger. When the passenger is due the bankers must be in #2. 

I have always assumed, therefore, that clockwise (downhill) trains would use track #4 or run straight through on track #3.

Maybe the simplest way for the operators would be having the bankers always in road #2 and all uphill trains always go into the platform road.

I would have thought that the heaviest trains would always use the straightest track simply for reliability.

Which would lead to

Track 1: Kept free for passenger trains

Track 2: Banking locomotives waiting for next use.

Track 3: Uphill trains needing to be banked.

Track 4: Downhill trains not needing to be banked.

But I could see the "presentational" advantage of the bankers on Track 4 where the public could enjoy them...

Luke

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/06/2021 at 16:00, TEAMYAKIMA said:

AFAIK in the UK we allowed locos up to a red signal as far as having the buffers in line with the signal, but it seems different in China judging by the positionings in these prototype photos.

fangengchen-IMG_0065-01.jpg.70a413631c72a5b653ed4214b7497db7.jpg201604_A_freight_train_passes_Beijiao_Station.jpg.ff62a4096b257bb2eb2828d282852670.jpg

So are mine about right?

Looks fairly similar to UK practices with shunt signals positioning as you stop short of the signal. (As soon as the buffer face passes the lens of the signal it’s a SPAD). 
As Al noted those on the approach to trailing points are clear of the fouling point marker while those facing a point are right at the switches. 
I’m guessing the closest main aspect in the second photo is positioned so far to the left for sighting as there looks to be a wall covered in ivy on the right?

As well as the post signals, I've been working on a range of ground signals. That will be used on the Industrial line.

This one is a 3-aspect exit signal that will be positioned on the right hand end of roads 2 & 4, and left had end of roads 2 & 3.

The Shunt signals still need adding to allow the bankers to run around onto the rear of the trains.

Screenshot (76).png

Screenshot (77).png

Screenshot (78).png

Screenshot (79).png

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

And back to the other kind of modelling now ..................

As per most things I do, it has taken three attempts before I'm happy with something.....................

Planting the outside toilet ..

Version #1  .... how could they have made that wall with the rough land right up close? Unrealistic.

IMG_20210706_100923.jpg.876616b340a60edaada267f42d3316b2.jpg

Version #2 - better, but looks odd. Why wouldn't they take the tarmac right through? Why leave that odd patch at the back?

IMG_20210706_191535.jpg.416f08c8d1eb3b5ad38947881022ac2a.jpg

Version #3 - finally!

IMG_20210709_192536.jpg.3f136f6f5906527664d085e3f58e26d3.jpg

• Like 6

On 09/07/2021 at 20:25, Theakerr said:

Based on what I saw in China, all three could be correct

And a fourth possibility - no tarmac round the toilet block at all

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 30/03/2021 at 17:35, F-UnitMad said:

Have to agree - sometimes the suggestion that something has happened, is funnier than modelling the event itself. It tells a story the viewer has to work out a bit for themselves. A smashed wing mirror next to a truck is the result of the incompetant moron who was parked next to it, and turned too sharp when he left....

There was a UK layout where a shed was being repainted, but there was a spilt bucket of paint lying by a ladder, and a set of paint-colour footprints leading away to a doorway.

Or on my old layout here - the run-over "Portway welcomes careful drivers" sign was funnier than if the car was still there - certainly got the attention of viewers at the few exhibitions it went to.

post-632-0-91854300-1402782454_thumb.jpg.5300fde86644f3927bad2a1760c339b1.jpg

Have just seen the sign on the flatbed behind the loco.................

"TRAILERS FOR SALE OR RENT"

Love it!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Have just seen the sign on the flatbed behind the loco.................

"TRAILERS FOR SALE OR RENT"

Love it!

On the wall of the Truckstop next to that trailer, a sign read "Rooms to Let, 50c." ;)

The tag line on the 'Old's Fuels' billboard is probably a bit small to see in the photo, but it reads "There's no Fuel like an Old Fuel."

Both ideas I shamelessly copied from other layouts, though :mosking:

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

On the wall of the Truckstop next to that trailer, a sign read "Rooms to Let, 50c." ;)

The tag line on the 'Old's Fuels' billboard is probably a bit small to see in the photo, but it reads "There's no Fuel like an Old Fuel."

Both ideas I shamelessly copied from other layouts, though :mosking:

On my old O gauge layout there was a factory making chairs. It was the MIRACLE CHAIR COMPANY.

DSC_0011.JPG.dbbb08b01f35093bbc6b2496f88c7732.JPG

Tag line, "IF IT'S A GOOD CHAIR, IT'S A MIRACLE".

I'm sure that I stole that from somewhere too.

• Like 4

Just now, TEAMYAKIMA said:

On my old O gauge layout there was a factory making chairs. It was the MIRACLE CHAIR COMPANY.

DSC_0011.JPG.dbbb08b01f35093bbc6b2496f88c7732.JPG

Tag line, "IF IT'S A GOOD CHAIR, IT'S A MIRACLE".

I'm sure that I stole that from somewhere too.

Yes I've heard that one - probably the same layout I stole Old's Fuels from too - one from the 1950s or so by Chuck Yungkurth (of Gum Stump & Snowshoe fame). On his layout Old's Fuels was a coal depot.

The lines from the song "King of the Road" were done by Roger Nicholls here in the UK on a layout called "Sundown". Despite close examination of my layout, below, he didn't say anything to me about it....

post-6688-0-67231200-1402917548.jpg.4a0b3c85a7115f862e9c01876c7851d0.jpg

• Like 3