BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Yes I've heard that one - probably the same layout I stole Old's Fuels from too - one from the 1950s or so by Chuck Yungkurth (of Gum Stump & Snowshoe fame). On his layout Old's Fuels was a coal depot.

The lines from the song "King of the Road" were done by Roger Nicholls here in the UK on a layout called "Sundown". Despite close examination of my layout, below, he didn't say anything to me about it....

post-6688-0-67231200-1402917548.jpg.4a0b3c85a7115f862e9c01876c7851d0.jpg

Roger in characteristic pose.

Have been concentrating on other aspects of the layout recently, but did a little bit of modelling today ...

Added two signs to the public toilet ..................

IMG_20210729_104752.jpg.4790046b2bcc11100f62518eaf1afb0d.jpg

Not a big deal in some ways, but I think many people wouldn't have guessed that it's a public toilet - hopefully they will now!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Have been concentrating on other aspects of the layout recently, but did a little bit of modelling today ...

Added two signs to the public toilet ..................

IMG_20210729_104752.jpg.4790046b2bcc11100f62518eaf1afb0d.jpg

Not a big deal in some ways, but I think many people wouldn't have guessed that it's a public toilet - hopefully they will now!

That reminds me, for some reason, of the shower block at the old Cherbourg Marina. It had a door for ladies and one for gents but when you went through it was all joined up at the back. All that's missing is the old crone sitting outside who took your 5 centimes before she'd let you go in.

• Funny 2

One thing that concerns me is the setting up and dismantling times at a show. As a result, I am working on making sure that everything runs smoothly on setting up day - so that we can get to the pub earlier! 

As you may remember, I am obsessed with the passenger trains being (very) close coupled and so I have modified the coupler mounts and fitted Fleischmann close couplings within each rake. Since the layout's last running session I have changed the make-up of some rakes and as each coupling setting is microscopically different from all others I have been checking all rakes to make sure that they couple easily.

IMG_20210729_120744.jpg.e26f1535b2b21ff5fcbcfc8de9d6c9d0.jpg

I have also been painting new numbers underneath each coach. Whilst they will sit in the stock boxes in the correct order, in the confusion of an exhibition set-up or take-down the coaches could get muddled up. This way we will know the correct order.

IMG_20210729_120757.jpg.1567ad208efaa50a9f28f19f052775b6.jpg

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Another job ticked off my list of jobs was to upgrade the LED layout lighting.

This may be difficult to see in the photos but the original LED strip I fitted had 60 LEDs per metre and whilst it was OK I did experiment with another strip which had 120 LEDS per metre. On review I felt that the 120 LED per metre strip had a slightly more dramatic effect. The two types can be (just) seen in this photo. The lit strip is the original and the strip at the back is the replacement.

IMG_20210729_094554.jpg.bcc10b1bb861aaf1865a6846a2a7fcee.jpg

But I recently remembered that I had only upgraded one of three pelmet sections (for comparison purposes) and so yesterday I replaced the remaining two sections - another job done!

IMG_20210729_094201.jpg.98e131543d784a97a8a44acdc1dac8e6.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 8

Some of the newer followers of this thread may not know how anal I am - so I thought I would enlighten you!

This week I bought a £4 Preiser painted figure of a German truck driver - all 6ft of him!

m                            DSC_1725.JPG.048282b8247d7de7678b8c887d39cd6a.JPG

After nearly an hour on the work bench, he is now a 5ft 6inch Chinese truck driver - as if anyone (but me) would notice - or care!

DSC_1728.JPG.64ab66fd5eaba892537ecdfec67908cd.JPG

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, steveNCB7754 said:

Wait, that guy in white on the right -  is that Al from ‘Quantum Leap’?

No, it's Marty from Randall and Hopkirk (deceased).

Edited by Ian Morgan
  • Like 2
  • Funny 5

On 31/07/2021 at 18:59, luke_stevens said:

How does the light intensity drop across the layout from front to back?

Luke

TBH I don't really know. I know that in my shed it puts enough light on the flats at the back of the layout to make a noticeable difference and that's good enough for me at the moment. 

How it performs at different exhibition venues is another story. Each venue will be different. 

• Like 1

The Chinese truck driver now has a truck to drive and he's looking for the keys.

DSC_1736.JPG.0f883291e7a6bae990bf6ad086bed987.JPG

Meanwhile another 6ft German  has become another 5ft 6inch Chinese - a much more difficult conversion as this guy is walking so it's a more complicated cut up to shorten the bent leg whilst maintaining the knee position within the leg.

DSC_1735.JPG.13c7aff4dfbbe4498bb362c6dde07001.JPG

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

2 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

The Chinese truck driver now has a truck to drive and he's looking for the keys...

... and the side mirrors, headlights, indicators, licence plate.... and the steering wheel too by the looks of it. :jester:

Not much point being @nal about the driver's height, when more obvious & important details are notable for their abscence. ;) :scratchhead:

Just my opinion, of course. :tomato:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

... and the side mirrors, headlights, indicators, licence plate.... and the steering wheel too by the looks of it. :jester:

Not much point being @nal about the driver's height, when more obvious & important details are notable for their absence. ;) :scratchhead:

Just my opinion, of course. :tomato:

Maybe he's looking for his phone to report the theft of the side mirrors, headlights, indicators, licence plate and steering wheel?

God forbit that he looks for the engine!

Luke

• Funny 4

8 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

....and the side mirrors, headlights, indicators, licence plate.... and the steering wheel too by the looks of it. :jester:

Add windscreen wipers to the list as well. :mosking:  

Close-up photos of models can be so cruel. :banghead:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

looks like there's a new eatery about to open ....................

Meanwhile the new toilet has its first customer ....................

There's an inevitable connection to make there. :mosking:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

One of the down sides of the Faller roadway is the (high) cost of the vehicles. I started with the cheapest starter set which has a MB white van and I used that for testing.

MB.jpg.64fcac4b3b24bfe12f2b811c099c0917.jpg

It got dropped on the floor many times, the headlight casting fell out and got lost, it ran over plaster which hadn't set properly, bits of all sorts of rubbish got into the gears and worm. In short, by the time the roadway was finished, the van was a basket-case.

So, the upside of that was that I could experiment with it and had nothing to lose!

Many, many hours later and after three (yes three!) different paint schemes we have ended up with this - and it hasn't gone back to white, it's now cream (having been light grey and then blue).

DSC_1739.JPG.5518518c5192180f81855b1d07f3bda6.JPG

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

I have the feeling that whatever I ask for the answer is going to be NO!

Luke

The most common reply to any query in a shop / eatery is not "no" - or 不 in simplified Mandarin,  (or Bu in  PinYin pronounced boo).

+95% of the replies would be 没有 or MeiYou (pronounced may-yo) and translates literally as "don't have".

In fact, you hear it everywhere and in any situation all over China!

Kev.

(Note. I haven't shown the tones in PinYin.)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

18 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

I have the feeling that whatever I ask for the answer is going to be NO!

Luke

Luke,

I suggest you read the menu which is now in plain sight.

DSC_1742.JPG.4f731f7bf5f7ed58c76dce7400c02553.JPG

TBH it's a bit worrying that the #1 seller in the truck stop cafe seems to be beer!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

4 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Luke,

I suggest you read the menu which is now in plain sight.

DSC_1742.JPG.4f731f7bf5f7ed58c76dce7400c02553.JPG

TBH it's a bit worrying that the #1 seller in the truck stop cafe seems to be beer!

Distinct lack on noodles on the tables.

• Like 1