BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

33 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

I am treading a fine line between features (good) and gimmicks (bad) and I think blue flashing lights are definitely a step too far. TBH I have considered illuminating the street lights after all the layout is supposed to be set soon after dawn. The street lights come fully wired up after all, and I am still undecided but probably 51/49 in favour of leaving them unlit. 

Perhaps light some but not others, after all streetlights don't all come on at the same time?

3 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

I think some illuminated plastic palm trees in a variety of colours would be quite appropriate while very tasteless and typical of the period!

Remember these? I've seen them in other cities too.

Brick Train

I think I stayed in that same hotel, I have some video taken of a train at night with them all lit up 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

I think I stayed in that same hotel, I have some video taken of a train at night with them all lit up 

My concern, is what is the load that the loco is hauling? Hope its not fireworks!!

• Funny 1

My team and I have been thinking of ways of making the layout grab people's attention at shows. One thought was that the presentation was too dull, still too much dark grey paint on show. It's supposed to be Red China, so why not paint it red? 

The idea is that the pelmet and the scenic section will remain grey so as not to distract the viewer but the two FY screens could be made more eye-catching. 

IMG_20211015_234627.jpg.87616dac1bb66e3e9c00fc3fa84dde5b.jpg

Thoughts? 

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

3 minutes ago, richard i said:

It will definitely stand out.

It will, hopefully, get us noticed and talked about and if I may quote Oscar Wilde, "The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about."

6 minutes ago, richard i said:

how about the star in yellow to make it look like the flag?

Yes, that's a good idea - I will search the internet for something suitable. For example, the star at the top of the hotel was actually off a belt which I bought in China and which broke very soon after I bought it, but I kept the buckle as a souvenir - and five years later I found a good use for it.

DSC_1569.JPG.4d38bcaa4c4b6e65c33d257972e51831.JPG

• Like 5

I must admit that I hate the one colour interiors which come with some HO model cars - especially ones which will be at the front of the layout.

IMG_20211010_191326.jpg.8bd32a898182a3fef2ead6d8c72c7740.jpg

I made painted the interior and experimented with it being parked this way round because I could very easily paint the 'lug' which holds the body on to make it look like a number plate.

IMG_20211017_185225.jpg.c5d02c0edd200fb5eb5e0f44be6dfbba.jpg

But on balance decided this way round was best and I added a number IMG_20211018_182511.jpg.834d6d6a0252ec886c0163b14c2bf1b2.jpgplate

• Like 5

I'll get back to the Polo later, but for now I have been working on more figures.

When I was a beginner in this hobby, I was told never to have figures in action poses on the layout - running, walking etc - because whilst they looked great in a still photograph, they looked odd when looking at the layout in real time.  Let's not open up another can of worms with that, let's just say I had an odd German walker who needed to become a Chinese stander.

IMG_20211017_173105.jpg.a631300979e13c5b8164e03312faee78.jpg

So that leg had to come off  and his foot ......

IMG_20211017_173623.jpg.e4da87ecc69e8eb79ac1e385e88f7244.jpg

And an hour or so later ....................

IMG_20211018_182544.jpg.5c167100b15cd6c3d8e18af8df935de7.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Next vehicle issue .............

I found this in a oddments box at a show several years ago. 

s-l1600.jpg.688b3cb46771e0b529a0c21173302c3e.jpg

I didn't realise at the time that it is an ice cream van, the first job was to remove the paper stick-on sign. The side panel lifts up and it has a detailed interior for a stall at sports event or similar - unfortunately, I took the photo from the wrong side, but you can see that the glazing includes a molding for a counter and shelving at the back of the serving area.

IMG_20211019_114528.jpg.19e5978962c4ac5538c2a8ba6161c1e3.jpg

The cab had no rear wall and so I had to make one and I gave the van a quick coat of paint

IMG_20211019_143145.jpg.faea4f133eca956167df4c84455839e3.jpg

Placed at the front of the layout, now with picked out headlights and windscreen wipers

IMG_20211019_164434.jpg.3f57f454f9de2b405b288b94917a9607.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 5

Lots of VERY little things happening today ..................

The idea of the Chinese flag is being developed. The big star has arrived, but I need four smaller ones as well.  I am going to swap over the two items. Firstly to make more room for the stars, secondly to raise the text so that it's easier to read. Before most people would have had to bend down a bit to read it and we don't want any disincentive which stops people learning about the basis for the layout.

IMG_20211021_161339.jpg.a6da431d3c86d1c6ba76d329f18e44a8.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1

I am trying to cobble together some road vehicles from my bits and pieces drawer.

I have several Saurer chassis and a tanker body.  So, I want to fit the tanker on the Saurer chassis.

I am not trying to make an accurate model, I am trying to make a feasible model. As you can see, the tanker is marginally longer than the chassis (the arrow shows the tail lights of the Saurer) and so I was thinking of  knitting the two chassis together by .........................

1. Cutting up the two chassis and make one with two rear axles - the extra axle to the rear of the existing one.

or

2. As above, but moving both axles further back.

or

3. Leave it with a single rear axle, but move it further back.

Thoughts please, all I need is something that looks feasible.

InkedIMG_20211021_163857_LI.jpg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

1. Cutting up the two chassis and make one with two rear axles - the extra axle to the rear of the existing one.

or

2. As above, but moving both axles further back.

or

3. Leave it with a single rear axle, but move it further back.

I don't think a liquid tanker would be heavy enough to need a double axle at the back (though I am happy to be convinced otherwise!)

Luke

2 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

I don't think a liquid tanker would be heavy enough to need a double axle at the back (though I am happy to be convinced otherwise!)

Luke

You're kidding, right? A cubic metre of water weighs a metric ton. The payload of a UK 2-axle 17-tonner might be around the 9 or 10 ton mark; that's not a very big tank for liquids.

A quick google of "HGV rigid tankers" shows that rigid trucks with a tank the length of that model will generally have 2 rear axles, so the best option is to combine the two chassis, to have two axles (edit - the first one where it is, 2nd behind) and be at least as long as the tank. There might well be equipment fitted at the rear, or an access ladder if the tank has top hatches (2nd edit, as per on the model already)

Hope that helps. :good:  Don't forget the wipers & rear view mirrors :jester:

(Sprinting for exit......)

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1