BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

Loving the photos and layout by the way. What part of the world are you likely to be exhibiting in? I would love to come down and see this when it is ready.

Bristol May 2018 is the first .... then in 2018 or 2019 Glasgow, Peterborough, Warley and Peterborough.

• Like 1

Very nice Al. I must admit that the one and only time I visited Beijing the sky was indeed a sort of blue but with a definite brownish tinge:

It was crystal blue that day we were at the Forbidden Palace. However next day was grey and overcast, and could taste the pollution in the air...

I am 99% certain of what I'm going to do with the backscene

I've gone for the dark grey. Partly, because I think the back scene should be the same colour as the facia and baseboard edges on the basis that tey too are part of 'the void'.

I have worked on the backscene today including tidying up and squaring off the tack 'holes' which looked before as they had been simply hacked out - which in truth they were!

post-4476-0-49230700-1493548306_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Have been back modelling today (as opposed to layout building) ....

Have been cutting PECO 4mm scale point motor into something closer to Chinese HO .....

post-4476-0-77165500-1494178188_thumb.jpg

not an exact match but they do seem vary a bit in the prototype ....

post-4476-0-75430700-1494178226_thumb.jpg

post-4476-0-67110800-1494178258_thumb.jpg

post-4476-0-90750800-1494178410_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Spent a  nice day on Saturday demonstrating at the SW Herts show in Bushey (Watford).

Met several old friends and made a few new ones including a couple of RMwebbers. So Alan and David if you're reading this please send me a PM.

A good day on Wednesday this week, a lot of good progress across several issues.

O need a sight blocker to hide the industrial line going off scene.....

Trial set up, but worried it is too high. Because it is so narrow in order to fit between the tracks, the height seems to emphasise the narrowness...

post-4476-0-94784500-1494565962_thumb.jpg

Mock up one storey lower .....it will still do the job ...

post-4476-0-79167100-1494565935_thumb.jpg

I take one storey off and the proportions seem better ....

post-4476-0-39686600-1494566024_thumb.jpg

Now, I am no talented scratchbuilder - I am a kitbasher. I got my leg pulled at Aly Paly when I bought a commercial HO kit to use as a basis for this model - in the next post I will reveal more!

• Like 3

Here is the nearly finished build with a first bit of weathering - still needs a bit of work with weathering powders....

post-4476-0-62569200-1494571964_thumb.jpg

I must admit that I had considered the easy option of just putting some plain plastic sheet on the non-viewing side to save time, but that seemed disrespectful to my operating team, so kitbashed the back as well - I need to find a door! BTW this wall is made up of 4 pieces of wall cut up and knitted together.

post-4476-0-12219500-1494571983_thumb.jpg

And here is the kit that this building is kitbashed out of.....

post-4476-0-52153200-1494572027_thumb.jpg

Well TBH it's kitbashed out of two of these. I bought a built up one dirt cheap at a show years ago with a view to modifying it, but I needed more components so I bought a kit and joined all the bits up.

• Like 3

For my street market I decided I needed a woman sitting on the ground cross-legged ... is there such a HO figure made? No!

So then I thought a woman kneeling .... is there such an HO figure made? No!

So I made one .....

Before ....

post-4476-0-13261400-1494763543.jpg

After ....

post-4476-0-32135900-1494763554.jpg

• Like 7

More madness....

i) Converting European body shapes to something more Chinese...... this is the mark 1 version the Chinese version has to stand behind a box or similar to hide the fact that he has no feet ..... with the mark 2 version the Chinese people have feet!

post-4476-0-32050200-1494798230.jpg

ii) I had some chairs in my spares box but they seemed strangely proportioned..... too deep .....

post-4476-0-69199100-1494798105_thumb.jpg

So I cut the chair in two, removed a bit and then glued it back together ....

post-4476-0-20305700-1494798121.jpg

It's better , but as it will be viewed from approx. 6 feet away was it worth the effort????

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

More madness....

i) Converting European body shapes to something more Chinese...... this is the mark 1 version the Chinese version has to stand behind a box or similar to hide the fact that he has no feet ..... with the mark 2 version the Chinese people have feet!

ii) I had some chairs in my spares box but they seemed strangely proportioned..... too deep .....

So I cut the chair in two, removed a bit and then glued it back together ....

It's better , but as it will be viewed from approx. 6 feet away was it worth the effort????

Yes!

The BIG issue at the moment for me is creating the open air street market - want to make it as Chinese as I can - not a Bavarian market straight out of the Preiser catalogue!

Here we are as of 8am today - some parts still unfinished and a lot more to add yet ....

post-4476-0-42961000-1494918539_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I have trying to make each market stall a little bit different. I wanted a drinks stall but didn't want to spend a lot of money on Preiser bottles...............so I looked in my spares box....

I found I had several of these chairs ..... I liked the shape of the legs .... they narrow at the bottom as they are supposed to push into drilled holes

post-4476-0-48239900-1495401582_thumb.jpg

So I cut the legs off, turned them upside down and they became beer bottles ....

post-4476-0-02002500-1495401640_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 4

I have trying to make each market stall a little bit different. I wanted a drinks stall but didn't want to spend a lot of money on Preiser bottles...............so I lloked in my spares box....

I found I had several of these chairs ..... I liked the shape of the legs ....

attachicon.gifDSC_0203.JPG

So I cut them off, turned them upside down and they became beer bottles ....

attachicon.gifDSC_0208.JPG

Presumably, after a couple of these, you will end up completely, errr, 'legless'? :locomotive:

Off to work now, but really good progress on the street market today .... the railings arrived from Gaugemaster today which meant that I could not only test fit the railings but also the first of the street lamps .....

post-4476-0-92313200-1495450496_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Off to work now, but really good progress on the street market today .... the railings arrived from Gaugemaster today which meant that I could not only test fit the railings but also the first of the street lamps .....

attachicon.gifDSC_0193.JPG

Paul, forgive me if missed this earlier, but what make are the railings please?

Paul, forgive me if missed this earlier, but what make are the railings please?

I looked into the question of railings at some length and eventually found a thread on RMweb all about railings and what's available commercially. In that thread these FALLER ones (catalogue # 180403) were mentioned, they looked good and so I thought I'd buy a pack as a trial .... I didn't want anything too heavy looking.

For me they are just right - £6.00 a packet from Gaugemaster.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

Another morning working on the layout ... now off to work ...

These photos show the new position of the street lamp and the railings fully installed .... I wanted to show that this was a designated market are and not just a random piece of pavement - hence the railings.....

post-4476-0-15322400-1495536118_thumb.jpg

And a close up .... I like to have figures that interact .....

post-4476-0-95564700-1495536142_thumb.jpg

Note the pigs' heads on the butchers stall - a Chinese favourite!

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Another morning working on the layout ... now off to work ...

These photos show the new position of the street lamp and the railings fully installed .... I wanted to show that this was a designated market are and not just a random piece of pavement - hence the railings.....

attachicon.gifDSC_0200.JPG

And a close up .... I like to have figures that interact .....

attachicon.gifDSC_0196.JPG

Note the pigs' heads on the butchers stall - a Chinese favourite!

Good looking pumpkins! How about an old auntie selling corn on the cob or chestnuts - or is that the barrow in front on the left?

Daft question- wouldt the road side likely have gaps to allow traders to get their wares in ?  Possibly with a chain to stop pedestrians from getting in during the day ?

I've been following this, and your work is outstanding, 

James

• RMweb Gold

No.

Someone decides that railings are to be used. Low paid workers then put up the railings.

At no point is there any thought for the locals, end users or even (usually) common sense!

I would suggest, though, is that the hot food stalls need black greasy stains underneath them.

Very good work Mr Yakima - a very convincing street scene.

Kev.

Daft question- wouldt the road side likely have gaps to allow traders to get their wares in ?  Possibly with a chain to stop pedestrians from getting in during the day ?

I've been following this, and your work is outstanding, 

James

Hi James

Thanks for your nice comments. It's not a daft question at all ... I wish I'd thought of it before I got this far with it .... but now haven't the time to go back to change things ... my first exhibition is 49 weeks away an there is sooooo much to do

Paul

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

Don't forget the pig trotters. Also another firm favourite....!

Al

Of course you're right and once you suggested it I had to do it ......

post-4476-0-06366100-1495716305_thumb.jpg

Those are the real pigs trotters off the same HO scale pigs ... the only issue was that I had already thrown the bodies away as I assumed that I would never need HO scale headless pig bodies  ..... so had to empty the kitchen waste bin piece by piece ... rotting food, cat sick and other nice things ..... and, right at the bottom, three HO scale headless pigs!   Success!!

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 7