BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

Your problem is the road you have running along the front edge, those loading bays need some space to turn lorries so they can back up to the doors and you don't have that. Now you could make a feature of that by creating a cameo of a truck causing an obstruction - the idea that the road was a lot narrower when the goods shed was built is not an incredible one in a fast developing country like China - but I would re-route the road so that it comes off the baseboard.

Your problem is the road you have running along the front edge, those loading bays need some space to turn lorries so they can back up to the doors and you don't have that. Now you could make a feature of that by creating a cameo of a truck causing an obstruction - the idea that the road was a lot narrower when the goods shed was built is not an incredible one in a fast developing country like China - but I would re-route the road so that it comes off the baseboard.

I absolutely take your point - I am trying to squeeze a quart into a pint pot! The trouble is that the 'road' uses the Faller car system and so cars/vans will be moving along that road. I see it not so much as a defined road as a large tarmaced area where a car/van will take whatever route is the most direct to get from A to B.  The dark strip is a magnetic strip to guide the cars/van and we will have to move it to accomodate the freight shed.

I thought you might say the road was part of a Faller system loop! I take it you are depicting the present day - as far as is possible - in which case I would be inclined to seal up the roadside doorways and put a fence across to suggest that the goods shed is no longer used for public freight and any rail to road transfer is done direct from rail vehicle to road truck further along the siding

Sadly I haven't any pictures. I was in China a number of times from 2003 - 2008, and once rode the train from Guangzhou to Hong Hong, but the pictures I took were the usual - Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City kind of thing.

Now if it were Thai railway pictures you wanted .........

All options with regards this shed are still open - it's just that I've just paid £43 for it and I'd like to make use of it - as Gaugemaster won't take it back now!

In use, out of use, with platforms, without platforms - everything is possible. I don't know enough about China Rail operations to know the most prototypical version for the timeline of my layout which is 2004/05, but here's a photo I took in 2004 ................

post-4476-0-69083900-1508153443_thumb.jpg

On another topic - I've finally finished all the window bars!

post-4476-0-15427500-1508153517_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

All options with regards this shed are still open - it's just that I've just paid £43 for it and I'd like to make use of it - as Gaugemaster won't take it back now!

In use, out of use, with platforms, without platforms - everything is possible. I don't know enough about China Rail operations to know the most prototypical version for the timeline of my layout which is 2004/05, but here's a photo I took in 2004 ................

In order to get this sorted in my mind I have consulted possibly the #1 China Rail expert for the period which I'm modelling - Michael Rhodes who visited the Ji-Tong line seven times in 2004/5 as part of the 'Extreme Steam' group. He reports that Jinpeng had a working freight shed at that time and he will send me photos over the weekend.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

Preparing for next week's big work day when I will be setting up in the near-by church hall.  Part of that is liasing with everyone to make sure everything we need is on site in time. As part of that process, the layout sign is on its way via Parcelforce as I write this.....

post-4476-0-01099400-1508395757_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 5

Just a question triggered by my own visits to China in 2004 and 2006. Are you going to put any mobile phone antennae on the top of those apartments (I went to try and sell software to China Mobile). I also remember seeing a street full of mobile phone shops in Chengdhu in 2006.

Having sort of been following this thread for a while, one thought that occurs to me (based on trips to China and Russia) is that a lot of the older railway infrastructure (goods sheds say) are almost if not identical to Russian structures.  So photographs and models from Russia may be worth looking at.  When of course you have nothing else to do - tongue in cheek

Edited by Theakerr

Very, very busy working on the layout to-day. So busy that I forgot to take any photos until we were about to pack up! We were only running on the industrial system as that is where all the shunting takes place.

Here are some random shots ..

post-4476-0-95853000-1508877554_thumb.jpg

Part of the work involved fitting the 'full size' hotel interior into the low-relief hotel model - the foyer is twice the depth of the building itself!

post-4476-0-32830500-1508877583_thumb.jpg

post-4476-0-75457700-1508877610_thumb.jpg

post-4476-0-97790600-1508877657_thumb.jpg

post-4476-0-56474300-1508877631_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Very, very busy working on the layout to-day. So busy that I forgot to take any photos until we were about to pack up!

Here are some random shots ..

attachicon.gifDSC_0302.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0307.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0314.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0316.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0312.JPG

Very nice Paul. The wide-angle shots really put everything into context.

Have spent the day working on the bridge which disguises the tracks leaving the scenic section and entering the fiddle yard at the right hand end.

The industrial line disappears off at 1 in 30 as in this photo of Baiyin..... and I plan to recreate the uniquely Chinese retaining wall.

post-4476-0-64132400-1509561477_thumb.jpg

At an early work session this section looked like this ....

post-4476-0-48910200-1509561620_thumb.jpg

You will notice that my version is too vertical  compared to the photo of Baiyin.

After a day's work my wall looked more like the prototype .....

post-4476-0-18001500-1509561386_thumb.jpg

post-4476-0-15847400-1509561363_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Splendid work!!

I'm surprised China isn't more popular among railway enthusiasts as it is a huge and intensively operated railway with some impressive trains and now there are plenty of RTR models (including some beautiful brass models).

Splendid work!!

I'm surprised China isn't more popular among railway enthusiasts as it is a huge and intensively operated railway with some impressive trains and now there are plenty of RTR models (including some beautiful brass models).

To many British modellers this will always be 'foreign rubbish' and in the wider context China is not a popular cultural destination for British people unlike America or France or Germany.

Meanwhile, some more progress has been made on the freight shed with a canopy added ...

post-4476-0-99960900-1509964371_thumb.jpg

post-4476-0-08861400-1509964433_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Have spent the day working on the bridge which disguises the tracks leaving the scenic section and entering the fiddle yard at the right hand end.

The industrial line disappears off at 1 in 30 as in this photo of Baiyin..... and I plan to recreate the uniquely Chinese retaining wall.post-4476-0-64132400-1509561477_thumb.jp

You will need more than just ground signals now...

Paul, it's looking good and come on considerably since Ilast saw it in the 'man cave'.

One thought, I know you want to keep that grey backscene colour and the reasons, but I can't help thinking something based on the above photo would look  better as a sunset evening colour

post-10875-0-10752900-1509991400.jpg

Cheers

Steve

• Like 3

Paul, it's looking good and come on considerably since Ilast saw it in the 'man cave'.

One thought, I know you want to keep that grey backscene colour and the reasons, but I can't help thinking something based on the above photo would look  better as a sunset evening colour

attachicon.gifty1temp.jpg

Cheers

Steve

Hello Steve

I like what you've done there, but at this stage with our first exhibition looming and a million other things to do I don't want to get side tracked into that issue - maybe I can look again once everything else is done!

BTW - here is an improved version of the tackplan of the scenic section .....

post-4476-0-78111100-1510135815_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I feel a bit guilty - I should be working on the layout - but I'm not.

I'm working on rolling stock - so sort of working on the layout in a way.

Just bought some TRAIN GARDEN C64k gondolas as they are so much cheaper than the Bachmann ones - just as a trial.

There are two drawbacks with these cars.....

1. Very long, crude Kadee clone couplers

post-4476-0-62569700-1510232833_thumb.jpg

2. Crude ladders that stick out away from the body 

post-4476-0-50378700-1510232876_thumb.jpg

An hour's work and things look a lot better .....

post-4476-0-04752600-1510233150_thumb.jpg

post-4476-0-09496400-1510233254_thumb.jpg

• Like 4