BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

Great to see this layout yesterday. As mentioned above, it is good to see something different to most other layouts - and my own model interests. I do like nice long trains as well. Thanks to all concerned.

Mike

We learnt a lot about operating the layout whilst at Bristol.

One thing we learnt was that my team and I had different views on just how the layout should operate.

I had designed and built a quite complicated fiddle yard with loads of headshunts off the loops so that we could make some quite complex moves on the two China Rail main lines .................

1. Run trains longer than the length of the loops

2. Change direction of many trains in the fiddle yard

The unanimous decision of my team was that

i) these moves were too complex for long operating sessions - what was quite interesting as a one-off became a right chore when repeated 50 times in a day.

ii) these moves were too time consuming - what we needed to do was RUN TRAINS to entertain the paying public.

At this point Al made a suggestion - to convert all my dead-end headshunts into loops. The effect of this would be to make changing direction in the fiddle yard impossible but at the same time allow us to easily run four extra long trains - two in each direction.

So on Monday I started making changes - strike while the iron's hot!

Here's the plan of boards 1 & 2 as was...

post-4476-0-80691700-1525903922_thumb.jpg

The work begins on board 2 - headshunt off point 7 has already gone

post-4476-0-94516800-1525903796_thumb.jpg

Here is board 2 just as I began work ... points 6 & 7 have gone and the new points to form the loops are being prepared

post-4476-0-39141400-1525902590_thumb.jpg

Now by Wednesday evening all four headshunts are history and all loops are installed and motored up - just need to wire up the point motors....

post-4476-0-23974100-1525902544_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Yes the operation at a relaxed pace 'at home' and keeping interesting things happening on scene is a difficult balance. I've only found the solution to operation by modelling a whole line so the shunting happens on scene. Your version of that would be to scenic the yard as another station so they run scene to scene, but then you need to do even more buildings ;)

The shed is so rammed that I am having to do the track alterations in the garden.

Had to give up last night at 9pm - getting too dark.....................

post-4476-0-28746500-1526712568_thumb.jpg

Back out today at 6am ................. damn cold, but another section laid. Have taken out eight points to make things simpler and less stressful at exhibitions. Less options (trains no longer able to change direction in the fiddle yard) but equally less stress for the operators................

post-4476-0-39104300-1526712587_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

The shed is so rammed that I am having to do the track alterations in the garden.

Had to give up last night at 9pm - getting too dark.....................

Paul,

I know that feeling!  With the shed and garage occupied by three layouts, I'm having to use my driveway setting up four boards at a time.  And with 4' by 2'8" boards, I've made a "putterupperer"  to assist set up.  A "T" shaped plank and ply that clamps into the workmate.

Easier once Empingham finds a new home.

Bill

OK, progress.

All tracklaying due to simplifying the fiddle yard is now complete - just need to bond across the rail joiners and I'm done ..................

post-4476-0-31798200-1526892291_thumb.jpg

This now means that the two main China Rail lines (which will both be under the control of one operator) will be much simpler to operate - or rather the 'complications' will no longer be an option available to that operator. However, the REAL bonus is that it will make route selection a MUCH easier to key into the throttle.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 5

One by-product of removibg the headshunts on the China Rail lines is that I have been able to extend the headshunt on the industrial line - which means that we will be able to sore (and run) one extra industrial line train.

Photo shows the new long headshunt and the screwdriver shows where it originally finished.

post-4476-0-72644500-1526979874_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Exhibition running requires more concentration and is tiring so simplifying it is certainly a good move and I bet it eliminates mistakes later in the session. As you can't set it up at home for more diverse operation at least you don't compromise the enjoyment there. I added headshunts on my G layout FY and found they were never used so cut them out. I don't think there's an answer to this with a station & FY setup I had to go much larger with four stations to get the diversity of operation to work like the real thing and I don't think that's an option here! ;)

I have a pile of the Bachmann HO I've barely used and it was going to require something of this scale to do what I wanted. I wish they'd done an N Gauge version and I'd be trying part of the Jingpeng route :)

• 2 weeks later...

As I have previously mentioned I have a large stock of HO scale women/girls with their arms outstretched hanging up washing - you get one or two with every set of HO washing and I've bought loads of those.

Previously I have used them in interiors like this student putting her suitcase on top of the wardrobe ....

post-4476-0-56273700-1528105989_thumb.jpg

I'm currently a bit stuck as for various reasons I cannot get on with what I would really like to be doing - dealing with various route selection issues to simplify operating.

Therefore Have gone back to detailing the layout. Found a young German girl in my spares box.....

post-4476-0-17511500-1528106056.jpg

I have now Chinesed her .... yes she is shorter - and she even has shorter arms!!  She is now encouraging her younger brother to come down the slide in playground # 2.

post-4476-0-03558200-1528106026_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I have been working on figures again. This time I wanted industrial workers waiting for the passenger train.

So I bought some Preiser ones ....

post-4476-0-76783900-1528287294.jpg

This is figure # 6 showing one leg shortened ..

post-4476-0-23305300-1528287387.jpg

Figure # 2 in the original photo is now figure # 3 in this shot and he has two problems i) if i simply shorten his legs his bag will nearly touch the ground ii) he is standing with one bent leg.................

post-4476-0-82355700-1528287420_thumb.jpg

So I cut his bag off and straightened his leg  as you can see in this shot ..................

post-4476-0-94717700-1528287596_thumb.jpg

Last was figure # 1 in the original photo. The problem with him was that his jacket would become a trench coat if I just shortened his legs and so his jacket needed shortening too.... leaving (for the moment) just one European (guest) worker to be taken to the steelworks.

post-4476-0-85084300-1528287805_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

The next project for completion will be motorising and automating the crossing gates on the bi-directional line.

It will need a very basic crossing keepers hut. Having searched high and low for a 3D printed one I have decided to kitbash one from my spares box. Her are some bits left over from a previous project ...

post-4476-0-07266400-1528786359_thumb.jpg

Here is the first wall - it's still a work in progress - had to stop as I've run out of MEK !

post-4476-0-98284600-1528786334_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

The hut is 90% finished, just needs a chimney stack and maybe some toning of the brick colour.

Total cost so far - ZERO!

There are two possible locations...............

Here ..................

post-4476-0-95987200-1528958435_thumb.jpg

Or here ...............

post-4476-0-04155200-1528958460_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I like the position in the first photo. Adds something to, what I presume is intended to be, a small area of scrubland.

The hut is 90% finished, just needs a chimney stack and maybe some toning of the brick colour.

Total cost so far - ZERO!

There are two possible locations...............

Here ..................

attachicon.gifDSC_0401.JPG

Or here ...............

attachicon.gifDSC_0406.JPG

The opposite side of the road to the crossing lights, as a 1:87 driver can't see the sign if the crossing house is blocking it!