BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

Have also been checking/improving locos.

This is a PIKO DF7C - it is fitted with a NEM coupler pocket and so it need a NEM mount Kadee.

At Bristol it was fitted with the 'standard' Kadee # 18 (medium length) as it was a 'quick fix'.

But when looking at it in the cold light of day it's ugly and sticks out a lot.

post-4476-0-83961000-1539452303_thumb.jpg

I have other uses for #18's and I have a stock of unwanted Kadee's EXTRA LONG NEMs (#20's) and so took one and cut it up .......

post-4476-0-80130700-1539452288_thumb.jpg

With the modified # 20 on board things look a lot better.

post-4476-0-73723600-1539452323_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I have decided that my building is too boring - the station needs 'sexing up'.

I originally planned to have a signal cabin alongside like this ...

post-4476-0-43245500-1540293262_thumb.jpg

But now I think the depot needs to be more interesting  and so am planning to add an annexe - toilet block? Rail workers canteen? 

So there are two options

Option # 1

Move the cabin forward and build the annexe quite narrow (low relief) behind it ....

post-4476-0-89842500-1540291468_thumb.jpg

Option # 2 

Make the annexe deeper but that leaves no room for the signal cabin

post-4476-0-53984300-1540291486_thumb.jpg

I want to use the signal cabin somewhere and the platform seems a good place. The other option is to use it as a long abandoned building on the waste ground along the front of the layout which is just empty scrubland where an old freight yard used to be and this would be a building left behind when the yard closed, like this ....

post-4476-0-08304600-1540292440_thumb.jpg

or this .....

post-4476-0-90589400-1540292464_thumb.jpg

In option 2 the line would be controlled from offices inside the depot.

I think I prefer option 1 but not sure if it 'works' in the space available

Opinions???

• RMweb Gold

Can you not add a projecting part to the front of the building, as in the photo above (#2, post 878), to breakup the flat elevation, instead of adding an annex ?

I quite like the steps and balcony too.

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifDSC_0384.JPG

But now I think the depot needs to be more interesting  and so am planning to add an annexe - toilet block? Rail workers canteen? 

So there are two options

Option # 1

Move the cabin forward and build the annexe quite narrow (low relief) behind it ....

attachicon.gifDSC_0449.JPG

Option # 2 

attachicon.gifDSC_0450.JPG

I want to use the signal cabin somewhere and the platform seems a good place. The other option is to use it as a long abandoned building on the waste ground along the front of the layout which is just empty scrubland where an old freight yard used to be and this would be a building left behind when the yard closed, like this ....

attachicon.gifDSC_0453.JPG

or this .....

attachicon.gifDSC_0452.JPG

Opinions???

Can you not add a projecting part to the front of the building, as in the photo above (#2, post 878), to breakup the flat elevation, instead of adding an annex ?

I quite like the steps and balcony too.

Paul, I agree with Stu. The "projecting part" - I don't know the proper architectural term - seems to be characteristic of many types of public buildings in China. I think that would make a huge difference. You might find that you don't need the annexe at all in that case but if you do I would also go with Option 1, as the station seems to be the natural home for the signal box.

• Like 1

Here is an update - still a work in progress!  I may narrow the building or the projection as the building now stretches right up the platform - might want it to sit back a bit more.

post-4476-0-26064000-1540402867_thumb.jpg

post-4476-0-82113300-1540402887_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I would agree to narrowing the projection, it possibly only needs to be 10mm, just enough to alter the building line.

Looks good so far, I like the extra height too, definitely makes the whole building more interesting.

• RMweb Gold

Making it narrower would mean you'd not be able to add the side windows, but gives room for the balcony/walkway so it doesn't overhang the platform too much.

Adding the high line of decorative bricks will also lift the facia.

Making it narrower would mean you'd not be able to add the side windows, but gives room for the balcony/walkway so it doesn't overhang the platform too much.

Adding the high line of decorative bricks will also lift the facia.

I never meant to add the balcony - not good enough modeller. I will add the decoration though. The prototype building was only an inspiration, I'm not making an accurate model of it.

Early this afternoon I was here with it ....... the weathering pot is to stop the front wall falling over!

post-4476-0-10560600-1540574293_thumb.jpg

Later after I've lowered the projectile walls..... low enough? There will be an annexe but that is just a random piece of plasticard to give you an idea

post-4476-0-58133000-1540574322_thumb.jpg.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Don't doubt yourself, you've just not done a balcony yet - you have to start somewhere.

Easiest way is to place the front on a piece of card, draw round it, add a bit to make the walkway and cut out the strip.

Add a horizontal piece of square balsa inside the building between the windows, then you can add projecting pieces of square rod to support the balcony ( as in the photo, centre section).

But, even without a balcony you've made a big improvement.

I think you should try to add the balcony, it would really add character. Give you something to hang a banner with an inspiring slogan from as well. As Stubby says, it shouldn't be too hard to do since it's basically a floor. Should be possible to get the railings from somewhere

attachicon.gifDSC_0384.JPG

So there are two options

Option # 1

attachicon.gifDSC_0449.JPG

Option # 2 

attachicon.gifDSC_0450.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0453.JPG

or this .....

attachicon.gifDSC_0452.JPG

Opinions???

Option 1 for me Paul.

ok ...............

First of all a big thank you to all my 'helpers' who came on Monday for the designated 'running test day' ..... Gordon, Martin, Peter and Terry. And a particular BIG thank you to Alan who also turned up on Tuesday for the work day.

I did both days (obviously!) 6am to 7.30pm …. 27 hours in total over two days ….. 

I was so busy that I literally had no time to take photos …… just one on my phone and I'll try to post it later.

Achievements.....

1.Layout facia repainted all round, front, back, in, out.... doesn't make it run better but it makes the layout look more professional. A better looking static display!

2.Trackwork (Peco points) slightly altered to improve the running of the brass QJs. Two brass QJs (6911 and 6165) now passed for running although one (6165) prefers running clockwise to anti-clockwise.

3.Various diesels that ran 'backwards' on DCC now corrected along with getting lights working properly - serial offenders taken home by Peter to sort out.

4.Five working 'gimmicks' now being controlled by the STEAM (not diesel) locos themselves. Steam locos have magnets fitted underneath that trigger reed switches which in turn trigger the 'gimmicks' - railway photographers that 'pop up' to photograph the steam trains and the disappear once they've passed.

5.Layout nameboard relocated in more prominent position

6.Chinese flags fitted to really show exhibition visitors where the layout is set

7. New 'basic' operating sequence for the industrial railway tested and approved by the operating team.

8. Various repairs to bits of layout found to be damaged after the Bristol show

Failures

1. Failure to get the level crossing barriers working automatically - triggered by an IRDOT device.

2. Testing more advanced industrial railway sequence.

Very stressful couple of days - but definite progress. Next stop - Stevenage in January.

• Like 3