BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

Well, after hours and hours of work, and loads of superglue, the mugs are back 99.9% perfect ....

DSC_1701.JPG.b6466772f474ce627461b025d225ffd3.JPG

Did anyone actually believe that?

New mugs have arrived and they came by Royal Mail in individual boxes and by co-incidence my big box takes seven of the mugs in their individual boxes just nicely - much more secure - and 'yes' there is a lid as well.

IMG_20210616_164814.jpg.d5dbe5d18a24d0ea653a3860e69461ff.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/06/2021 at 06:55, TEAMYAKIMA said:

You've given me an idea.

Passing trains on the double track leaves a long gap afterwards.

We don't want any trains on the China Rail when we make the banking move. So if we link the two that seems a good fit.

The industrial operator flags up that he is preparing a banking move. The China Rail operator sends out a passing move. The industrial operator waits and then does the banking move.

Perfect!

And whilst the banking move is in progress, the mainline operators are readying their next trains just off-scene....................

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, newbryford said:

And whilst the banking move is in progress, the mainline operators are readying their next trains just off-scene....................

:) Oh we're always ready to run another China Rail service!

It will actually give us a change to drink the tea / coffee from the dedicated mugs :)

Luke

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

Another side issue which has been taking my attention away from modelling for a few weeks is volume 2  of by photo books of my travels around the world photographing steam. This volume concludes China. It's 2006 - 2015 and not a single QJ photo this time. Seriously, these last five tours were a bit anti-climatic compared to 1993-2005, but something is better than nothing.

IMG_20210618_112918.jpg.084d0017ffa9b23735970eaaa05fa7f0.jpg

• Like 6

There is a debate (elsewhere) as to the pros and cons of working colour light signals. I am against working colour light signals because by their very nature their scale accuracy would have to be severely compromised. Also, the light  from a colour light signal is usually only visible 'head on' and viewers from side on would not see what aspect was showing. 

I did look into commercial colour light signals - I rest my case.

s-l500.png.67fa2ef78a9786a1eb4cc826a4b35c76.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

I did look into commercial colour light signals - I rest my case.

There are other, better, commercial colour light signals out there. Ones that don't look so "Triang"!

https://miniaturmodelle.net/en/1:87-h0/led-signals

http://www.svettofor.ru/svetofory

Luke

Edited by luke_stevens
links added
  • Like 1

As with most things in my life, my second and third attempts at our layout signage has turned out better than my first attempts.

Here is the 'before and after' of the signage which explains the concept of 'industrial China'. The photo is bigger, the colour better matches our backscene and the text looks better in lower case and in bold .........

IMG_20210621_183754.jpg.6fcd768dbc7aaaf81d5a1b74505f3627.jpg

Again, with the main display panels...... The photos are more dramatic and I have dropped that odd tagline "Real working steam in 2004!"

IMG_20210621_185956.jpg.06528f2d1c3c2e8721cbf9f2fdfce5a6.jpg

• Like 7

Revised signal offered up to the layout. 

Apart from loosing one of the signal heads during transit, this looks much better.

I'll need to beef up the support brackets from the signal heads to make then less fragile, and sort the ladder out. Apart from that I count this as a win.

If anyone else wants some China Rail colour light signals, you know where to come to. 

207086649_2927651254175929_8193237496438222384_n.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Al. said:

Revised signal offered up to the layout. 

Apart from loosing one of the signal heads during transit, this looks much better.

I'll need to beef up the support brackets from the signal heads to make then less fragile, and sort the ladder out. Apart from that I count this as a win.

If anyone else wants some China Rail colour light signals, you know where to come to. 

207086649_2927651254175929_8193237496438222384_n.jpg

The hight looks much better!

How robust are they to withstand track cleaning? And are they ok when the 2 boards are bolted together for transit?

Luke

2 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

How robust are they to withstand track cleaning? And are they ok when the 2 boards are bolted together for transit?

Luke

1. They are very fragile - trackcleaning will need to be done VERY carefully around the signals

2. No problem

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

1. They are very fragile - trackcleaning will need to be done VERY carefully around the signals

2. No problem

It is possible to have items printed in resin that has some flexibility to it and so would be less susceptible to damage. If buying the resin for home printing it is a little more expensive, I don't know if the commercial printers charge much more though. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

2. No problem

1) I suspect so. I've had some resin printed figures "snap" for no reason. Poss change of temperature? I assume they would struggle to survive a derailment to? We'll just need to be careful!!!

2) Good!

Luke 

14 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

I assume they would struggle to survive a derailment too? We'll just need to be careful!!!

Luke 

Derailments? We don't have derailments! 

Every other problem under the sun, but not derailments!:jester:

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Derailments? We don't have derailments! 

Every other problem under the sun, but not derailments!:jester:

I expect the three Moirai are in conference call right now.

On 13/06/2021 at 18:43, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Hmmmmmm??

All I would say is that a lot of what I'm doing is to try to make life easier for my operators. No-one appreciates their efforts more that me. My two main concerns are

1. To make the operation as stress-free as possible - which means making the layout work reliably. This is not easy to achieve when we can't test the layout except at a show.

2. To minimise the set-up and take-down time. (The former so as to maximise the time in the pub)

I am trying to get 'everything done' because I have plenty of other hobby related things I want to get on with - I want to get this layout to the stage where it is reliable and finished so that between shows I get get on with other things.

In doing a bit of a catch-up on this thread, I think I can see a pattern emerging which might  suggest a reason why the layout operation is sometimes not 'optimal'.  The word 'Pub' seems to crop up a lot in exchanges between yourself and other operators - maybe the state of intoxication is having something to do with it (LOL)?  :locomotive:

Steve

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

On 14/06/2021 at 11:55, TEAMYAKIMA said:

That is so in line with my experience over the last 40 odd years and I know other layouts which have come to similar conclusions.

As I have said before we are going to re-think our operation to maximise interest for the viewers. Two examples....................

1.  Our biggest USP is the DOUBLE banked coal trains at the back of the layout which is very impressive with all three locos being sound equipped. But if a non-sound diesel hauled train runs through the layout on the China Rail lines closer to the audience then the viewer's attention is completely drawn to that rather mundane experience because it's right in front of them.

CONCLUSION - we will attempt to co-ordinate things so a train on China Rail does not run through when a banked train departs.

2.  One of our operators in particular has always thought that two trains passing each other on the China Rail double track main line is very impressive - and it is! But the consequence is that there is then a long delay with nothing appearing on the  China Rail double track main line until both trains are safely back in their respective fiddle yard roads.

CONCLUSION - whilst the two trains passing each other is a  very positive feature the negative consequences make it better (in general) to have trains sequencing in quick succession, clockwise then anti-clockwise, then clockwise etc. Maybe a double passing as a special request for some impressive video, but in general not.

On example 2, I've always found a slightly faster (longer) freight/passenger working, gradually passing a slower ('wheezing') freight (on a 'slow' line) much more 'evocative', than the 'two fast trains rushing passed each other' norm on a lot of layouts.  Just my 2 cents worth. :-)

Steve

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, steveNCB7754 said:

In doing a bit of a catch-up on this thread, I think I can see a pattern emerging which might  suggest a reason why the layout operation is sometimes not 'optimal'.  The word 'Pub' seems to crop up a lot in exchanges between yourself and other operators - maybe the state of intoxication is having something to do with it (LOL)?  :locomotive:

Steve

:drinks:

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, steveNCB7754 said:

Steve

As a non-intoxicat, I feel I should point out that the "pub" only occurs after use / work on the layout :) We couldn't get ourselves in quite such a mess if we weren't completely sober...

Luke

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

And back on topic ......................................:)

I have been doing my bit as regards signals ............... bought from China. What do people think of their positioning?  AFAIK in the UK we allowed locos up to a red signal as far as having the buffers in line with the signal, but it seems different in China judging by the positionings in these prototype photos.

fangengchen-IMG_0065-01.jpg.70a413631c72a5b653ed4214b7497db7.jpg201604_A_freight_train_passes_Beijiao_Station.jpg.ff62a4096b257bb2eb2828d282852670.jpg

So are mine about right?

DSC_1710.JPG.8298c895ac09c0e75170f687f67bae60.JPG

DSC_1709.JPG.9e1c35a7ed8e267a042c10335dc92589.JPG

• Like 4

Facing signals appear to be in line with the switch toes (Point blades). The trailing signals appear to align with the Foiling Point (The white post in between the crossing vee).

The ground signals in the second photo loo like they should be further to the right. Plus you'll need to add facing signals at the switch toes.

The signal off the platform end would be an exit signal on a post, not a ground signal, and would be placed nearer the turnout. I've included both platform exit signals and the clockwise exit signal in the batch of post signals I'm making you. All three include shunt signals.

Question on the anti-clockwise train moves. Which track to the trains use while waiting for the bankers to hook up?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

And back on topic ......................................:)

I have been doing my bit as regards signals ............... bought from China. What do people think of their positioning?  AFAIK in the UK we allowed locos up to a red signal as far as having the buffers in line with the signal, but it seems different in China judging by the positionings in these prototype photos.

fangengchen-IMG_0065-01.jpg.70a413631c72a5b653ed4214b7497db7.jpg201604_A_freight_train_passes_Beijiao_Station.jpg.ff62a4096b257bb2eb2828d282852670.jpg

Signal head above roof line.

So are mine about right?

DSC_1710.JPG.8298c895ac09c0e75170f687f67bae60.JPG

I would say this would be blocked by the platform. Would by the lamp be better?

DSC_1709.JPG.9e1c35a7ed8e267a042c10335dc92589.JPG

these two look fine. Easy to see from the loco cab. Bit close to the edge of the board?

As these are standard OSShD signal, good luck in working out how the shunting versions are actually mean to be used. I've ben looking into this for ages and can't make clear sense of what is going on!

Luke