Jump to content
We are aware of the intermittent site speed issues at the moment. Please be patient and don't repeatedly click things as that compounds the issue.

BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century


TEAMYAKIMA
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 20/08/2021 at 08:44, TEAMYAKIMA said:

 

Actually, the lights are not on in that photo - I simply adjusted the brightness of the photo in order to make the new sign more visible. The lighting only makes a marginal difference as I didn't want to flood the layout with light - it is supposed to be early morning, hence the orange sky. But TBH the truth is that we won't know exactly the difference the lighting will make until we get to a venue - and each venue will be different in that respect. However, I do think that the orange backscene in itself will attract attention and interest, if only in the sense of, "What the hell??"

 

As regards crossing the railway tracks, I think that normal road bridges with pedestrian pavements every few hundred metres is the most likely option.

 

So, for you Paul,  is the amount of lighting on they layout in this photo "flooding" the layout? I think it is a little bright but more that the light is "too blue" for a smoggy morning.

 

Luke

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the weekend I have been dealing with some of the (minor) issues which came to light during our recent running session.

 

IMG_20210901_145527.jpg.a925bcd655d26f8fb4f1d6fd8a6ff70b.jpg

 

All Bachmann QJ's which will be consisted as a pair now have designated leading and trailing locos. We had problems because the kadee at the front of Bachmann QJ's tend to be a little high and the Kadees on Bachmann QJ tenders tenders tend to be a bit low and consequently the consisted two locos often broke apart. The trailing locos now all have dropped front Kadees in order to better match the slightly low Kadees on the Bachmann QJ tenders.

  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Since the weekend I have been dealing with some of the (minor) issues which came to light during our recent running session.

 

IMG_20210901_145527.jpg.a925bcd655d26f8fb4f1d6fd8a6ff70b.jpg

 

All Bachmann QJ's which will be consisted as a pair now have designated leading and trailing locos. We had problems because the kadee at the front of Bachmann QJ's tend to be a little high and the Kadees on Bachmann QJ tenders tenders tend to be a bit low and consequently the consisted two locos often broke apart. The trailing locos now all have dropped front Kadees in order to better match the slightly low Kadees on the Bachmann QJ tenders.

 

Looks much better.  Have asked/mentioned this as a possibility before, but are you going to demonstrate banking in future shows (i.e. a QJ banking a QJ, or QJ double-headed train)?

 

Steve N

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve

 

Apologies for not replying sooner. There will be changes to the operating pattern - we will be running less trains!

 

There has always been banking on the industrial. It's unique, in the sense that it is authentic to have just 11 coal cars with TWO bankers, it is based on the system at Chengde - but in all the videos of the layout I've seen on YOUTUBE it has never featured.

 

CONCLUSION - the viewer's attention is taken away when a diesel powered mixed freight (or similar) passes under his/her nose and they video that instead. So, from now on we will halt the China Rail lines when banking moves happen at the back of the layout on the industrial.

 

I realise that your question was more targeted at the China Rail lines and the QJ's. Since our move to 2001 rather than 2004 there will be more steam powered trains and most/many will be double-headed.

 

In the past, all of these moves have been two QJ's conventionally set up but I am tempted now to set one up tender to tender like this train I photographed in 1997

 

EPSON047.JPG.c1417b6f79f53632d77556afda22d877.JPG

 

Why? Because once again it would be very different and eye-catching and yet authentic.

 

As regards QJ banked trains on China Rail, it's not something I've ever considered (until now). My operating team want simple, reliable operation and so I think it's a case of getting the first exhibition out of the way (after all the changes I've made) and then consider other options.

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Steve

 

Apologies for not replying sooner. There will be changes to the operating pattern - we will be running less trains!

 

There has always been banking on the industrial. It's unique, in the sense that it is authentic to have just 11 coal cars with TWO bankers, it is based on the system at Chengde - but in all the videos of the layout I've seen on YOUTUBE it has never featured.

 

CONCLUSION - the viewer's attention is taken away when a diesel powered mixed freight (or similar) passes under his/her nose and they video that instead. So, from now on we will halt the China Rail lines when banking moves happen at the back of the layout on the industrial.

 

I realise that your question was more targeted at the China Rail lines and the QJ's. Since our move to 2001 rather than 2004 there will be more steam powered trains and most/many will be double-headed.

 

In the past, all of these moves have been two QJ's conventionally set up but I am tempted now to set one up tender to tender like this train I photographed in 1997

 

EPSON047.JPG.c1417b6f79f53632d77556afda22d877.JPG

 

Why? Because once again it would be very different and eye-catching and yet authentic.

 

As regards QJ banked trains on China Rail, it's not something I've ever considered (until now). My operating team want simple, reliable operation and so I think it's a case of getting the first exhibition out of the way (after all the changes I've made) and then consider other options.

 

 

 

Thanks for the reply and the tender-to-tender haulage would be unusual (at least to the general public).  Also, I think I've seen a shot (or maybe video) of even the banking QJ being tender-first, but don't quote me. Presumably, having two QJ's banking, might just be a way of moving an engine to another task/location, rather than necessarily needing its tractive effort on that load (and so avoiding a 'Light Engine' move)?  Look forward to seeing this layout again, once its possible.

 

Steve N

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Steve

 

Apologies for not replying sooner. There will be changes to the operating pattern - we will be running less trains!

 

There has always been banking on the industrial. It's unique, in the sense that it is authentic to have just 11 coal cars with TWO bankers, it is based on the system at Chengde - but in all the videos of the layout I've seen on YOUTUBE it has never featured.

 

CONCLUSION - the viewer's attention is taken away when a diesel powered mixed freight (or similar) passes under his/her nose and they video that instead. So, from now on we will halt the China Rail lines when banking moves happen at the back of the layout on the industrial.

 

I realise that your question was more targeted at the China Rail lines and the QJ's. Since our move to 2001 rather than 2004 there will be more steam powered trains and most/many will be double-headed.

 

In the past, all of these moves have been two QJ's conventionally set up but I am tempted now to set one up tender to tender like this train I photographed in 1997

 

EPSON047.JPG.c1417b6f79f53632d77556afda22d877.JPG

 

Why? Because once again it would be very different and eye-catching and yet authentic.

 

As regards QJ banked trains on China Rail, it's not something I've ever considered (until now). My operating team want simple, reliable operation and so I think it's a case of getting the first exhibition out of the way (after all the changes I've made) and then consider other options.

 

 

From the angle of the smoke is that actually banking (i.e at the rear) as opposed to double heading with a second loco on the front?

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, john new said:

From the angle of the smoke is that actually banking (i.e at the rear) as opposed to double heading with a second loco on the front?

 

John

 

I think you have misunderstood my comment.

 

Many of my trains will have double-headed QJ's and one will (hopefully) be tender to tender like this double-headed train I photographed at Yebaishou in 1997.

 

There were three lines out of Yebaishou and all used double-headed QJ's on freights. One was always conventional, one was always tender first and one was always tender to tender. 

  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As I have said many times before, there is more to having a successful exhibition layout than just modelling. We need to explain, in simple language, what any given layout is showing the viewer - none more so than a Chinese layout!

 

So, today have been working on that aspect - this is the r/h FY screen ............................

 

IMG_20210904_132309.jpg.54a845364b7832f389217139fa917947.jpg

 

In that context, one secondary reason for moving the layout from 2004 to 2001 is that we only now have to explain two concepts rather than three  - now just the industrial and China Rail as the Ji-Tong regional line has become a secondary China Rail route.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

In actual fact these new displays on the new, taller, fiddle yard screens are .v3.

 

The first effort was not nearly so professional. It had more photos and more (but smaller) text. Consequently, nobody read the text - too much and too small.

 

709905798_DSC_0211(2).JPG.d175c37f51d1a7ce0f1c58c28616c9dc.JPG

 

The second version was better, but when we changed from 2004 to 2001 and now had steam on China Rail we decided to revamp the whole thing, especially as we had new taller FY screens. Here is .v2.

 

DSC_0019.JPG.c63676b619420c49ebbf6d7d1ded941a.JPG

 

The new l/h .v3 is somewhat different to the r/h one. It uses the big version of our sign which used to sit atop two posts at the back of the layout.

 

                                                                          RUTHCMRA1.jpg.6ecda604cf94c77eda1e5d709bd140fb.jpg

 

It can't be used on the pelmet as it's too big and too heavy and as it cost me quite a bit of money I wanted to use it. So, here is the new l/h version

 

IMG_20210904_144205.jpg.fb44a61b345c033bc20bf831a9df1581.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

As our first exhibition was three and a half years ago, I am amazed how much work is still required to complete all the little jobs that have been ignored for years and then I can bring the layout up to an acceptable standard where I can move on and do something else, but at least I am now a 'gentleman of leisure' ( NOT RETIRED!!!).

 

One thing I noticed today when touch up the paint on the roadway was the gap where the roadway butts up to the track at the level crossing.

 

IMG_20210907_170122.jpg.0d51b98830f266f9dfea92e0b2cb221e.jpg

 

Sitting on the sofa now just doing this update whilst the plaster sets...

 

IMG_20210907_171237.jpg.2f52d1c64b8595360486fa43e4337b24.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Just been out to the shed, sanded down the plaster and painted the roadway - still a bit of touching up to do, but hopefully it looks better now ..............

 

 

IMG_20210907_230821.jpg.f76e7a9dd3b218aa72620f3df88d5f74.jpg

 

What's the guy doing stood in the middle of the road?

Edited by Al.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thing I have been concentrating on is the Faller roadway going over the level crossing. The Faller roadway can be operated in two ways - simple and complex.

 

Complex mode involves a minibus (of photographers) going across the secondary line and through the bridge building site looking for a new photo spot. Eventually they get sent back via a return loop off-scene. Here is an old photo I've used before which hopefully explains it.

DSCF2678.jpg.78474919ef98c836390060c96bfba1a5.jpg

 

I was testing this option yesterday and found a problem - there are two designs of minibus and my Ford test vehicle dealt with the return loop successfully but the VW didn't. The radius was too tight and the front axle went to its limit of turn and jammed there and so the vehicle was moving forward with the front axle jammed at about 60 degrees - I hope this photo shows what I'm talking about . The VW is leaving the return loop moving in a straight line, but the front wheels are still set for a left hand turn. This caused the vehicle to get caught on the baseboard join.

 

IMG_20210907_135607.jpg.c7d02ae844a70959b645c5f10e83eba9.jpg

 

So I lifted the old return loop and replaced it with a new one at the maximum radius I could manage - you can still see the outline of the old route. 

 

IMG_20210907_171258.jpg.21e4f7b57319eb8c82eab14eead4c1f5.jpg

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Al. said:

 

What's the guy doing stood in the middle of the road?

 

Well spotted Al !  I was going to explain that once that cameo is finished.

 

That is a 3D printed version of team member Martin Edge with a tripod and camera bag - he and Gordon Massey used to be stood by the side of the road as in this photo.

 

DSC_1571.JPG.9f9b9acf12938121a235a6539f8a3dae.JPG

 

I am now planning to have a group of photographers and a tut-tut in the middle of the road there - it's a work in progress. Yesterday, I noticed something which I had not noticed before - remember that we have never used this feature at an exhibition and so I've never really studied it in detail.

 

Basically, the Faller roadway sends the minibuses on a strange path along that stretch of road. The road is relatively wide at that point and yet the minibuses in both directions hug the side of the road almost running on the dirt and that makes no sense - unless there is something in the road that they are trying to avoid. I hope this photo which is just a mock-up shows what I mean. Without something in the road that minibuses route would look very odd.

 

IMG_20210908_081628.jpg.b21e773b8131c304123648a5a6afc7a8.jpg

 

So I had the choice of digging up the magnetic strip and re-aligning everything or just add something which the minibus is trying to avoid - no contest! The car in this mock-up is too big, hence a tut-tut is required.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

 

Well spotted Al !  I was going to explain that once that cameo is finished.

 

That is a 3D printed version of team member Martin Edge with a tripod and camera bag - he and Gordon Massey used to be stood by the side of the road as in this photo.

 

DSC_1571.JPG.9f9b9acf12938121a235a6539f8a3dae.JPG

 

I am now planning to have a group of photographers and a tut-tut in the middle of the road there - it's a work in progress. Yesterday, I noticed something which I had not noticed before - remember that we have never used this feature at an exhibition and so I've never really studied it in detail.

 

Basically, the Faller roadway sends the minibuses on a strange path along that stretch of road. The road is relatively wide at that point and yet the minibuses in both directions hug the side of the road almost running on the dirt and that makes no sense - unless there is something in the road that they are trying to avoid. I hope this photo which is just a mock-up shows what I mean. Without something in the road that minibuses route would look very odd.

 

IMG_20210908_081628.jpg.b21e773b8131c304123648a5a6afc7a8.jpg

 

So I had the choice of digging up the magnetic strip and re-aligning everything or just add something which the minibus is trying to avoid - no contest! The car in this mock-up is too big, hence a tut-tut is required.

 

Paul. The wide line around the curve was intended to be that way. The original crane was a bit larger then the red one we're using, and its arse would have been stuck out into the road to where you've placed the car. As the crane is now smaller, we do need to add something behind it. A tut-tut is a good idea.

Edited by Al.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Another thing I have been concentrating on is the Faller roadway going over the level crossing. The Faller roadway can be operated in two ways - simple and complex.

 

Complex mode involves a minibus (of photographers) going across the secondary line and through the bridge building site looking for a new photo spot. Eventually they get sent back via a return loop off-scene. Here is an old photo I've used before which hopefully explains it.

DSCF2678.jpg.78474919ef98c836390060c96bfba1a5.jpg

 

I was testing this option yesterday and found a problem - there are two designs of minibus and my Ford test vehicle dealt with the return loop successfully but the VW didn't. The radius was too tight and the front axle went to its limit of turn and jammed there and so the vehicle was moving forward with the front axle jammed at about 60 degrees - I hope this photo shows what I'm talking about . The VW is leaving the return loop moving in a straight line, but the front wheels are still set for a left hand turn. This caused the vehicle to get caught on the baseboard join.

 

IMG_20210907_135607.jpg.c7d02ae844a70959b645c5f10e83eba9.jpg

 

So I lifted the old return loop and replaced it with a new one at the maximum radius I could manage - you can still see the outline of the old route. 

 

IMG_20210907_171258.jpg.21e4f7b57319eb8c82eab14eead4c1f5.jpg

 

 

Question: Is there sufficient clearance between the road and the tracks?

 

Answer: No, there isn't. 

 

Please check that the van can pass when a QJ is going along the track.  At some point a vehicle will be in just the wrong place as a train passes. If we are lucky the van will get knocked out of the way. If we're unlucky the van will get pulled along / locomotive will derail.

 

(Been there, done that)

 

Luke

Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

 

Question: Is there sufficient clearance between the road and the tracks?

 

Answer: No, there isn't. 

 

 

Ok, done some research and rough and ready calculations.

 

Al got me to DCC a medium American steamer. It is 39.4mm over the cylinders, Say 40mm. A piece of Peco code 75mm is 30mm over the sleepers. So the side of they cylinders is going to reach at least 5mm into the roadway (40mm-30mm is 10mm, divided by 2 gives a minimum of 5mm). If you draw a line parallel to the end of the sleepers at 5 mm it is going clash with the width of the van.

 

Misquoting Murphy's law; if it can go wrong then at some point it will go wrong...

 

Luke

  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

 

Question: Is there sufficient clearance between the road and the tracks? Answer: No, there isn't. 

 

Please check that the van can pass when a QJ is going along the track.  At some point a vehicle will be in just the wrong place as a train passes. If we are lucky the van will get knocked out of the way. If we're unlucky the van will get pulled along / locomotive will derail. (Been there, done that)

 

Luke

 

Aha!  I wondered when someone would raise that issue.

 

Luke, you are totally correct, the van will hit virtually anything on the bi-directional track as shown in this mocked-up photo ....

 

IMG_20210907_171250.jpg.01f68f66144b40b2be3425c5d61d14c9.jpg

 

I realised that when I laid the new roadway, but it doesn't matter because there will never be a train there when the van makes that move. Let me explain.......

 

The bi-directional line has a dedicated operator. Under our new operating protocol that person will control the trains and the operation of the Faller roadway.

 

The Faller roadway has two routes - a simple up and down the main road, or the more complex over the level crossing route. Only small vans and minibuses will take the more complex route. Once it's over the level crossing, the van always takes the ant-clockwise route around the return loop as shown in this photo...

 

314112990_IMG_20200412_104600(1).jpg.97f9481a698c340a5eb32695ec88f389.jpg

 

The van then stops automatically on a magnet as shown in this photo ...

 

IMG_20210907_171258.jpg.020d6f61a62bd3862db044f66a87e752.jpg

 

 

The van can only be released by the bi-directional operator and so he/she would only release the van when there was no train in the vicinity.

 

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...