BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

• RMweb Gold

I thought the build "fall" (not collapse) was due to some idiot deciding to dig a large hole (think underground carpark) right up to the side of the almost complete building.

(I think there was only one fatality.)

Kev.

15 minutes ago, SHMD said:

I thought the build "fall" (not collapse) was due to some idiot deciding to dig a large hole (think underground carpark) right up to the side of the almost complete building.

(I think there was only one fatality.)

Kev.

As with all things like this there was a number of contributing factors; A near by cofferdam that leaked and saturated the soil. Poor reinforcement in the piles. Inadequately supported excavation...

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

The building itself is fine... It's just the foundations that weren't. No doubt they were build (or not) by someone else...

I still think Paul doesn't need to modify his structure...

L

The twisted one on the left. Obviously the same contractor as built the Chesterfield spire.

TBH I've been so busy working on the layout since Tolworth that I haven't had much time to post on here and so today is a convenient day for a catch up.

One constant problem with the layout (which I have mentioned on here many times) is the fact that we can only practise operation when we're set up at an exhibition. 

Originally, I lived opposite a church hall and on a few occasions we were able to set the layout up for a day or two, but even then we were either working on the layout or simply testing things and then moving on to the next issue - i.e. we wanted to know if a particular piece of trackwork was OK and so we ran one loco over it and once that was OK we moved on to the next thing we needed to do. Running one loco over a piece of trackwork is a 'test' but that's not the same as running any of 30 different locos with 15 different trains in toe for a whole day.

One of the reasons we moved house was to allow me to have a bigger shed and yesterday I managed to set up the six boards which have 99% of the pointwork on them and so now I can test, test and test - every loco through every route in both directions for the next week or so. The shed isn't long enough to set up the whole fiddle yard in one piece, but all the elements are now in place for a proper test session.

IMG_20211224_182614.jpg.93ccbc69a85dc1c1aa3d5a829bbb4992.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

13 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

I finally got a model railway Xmas present from my wife - the first in the nearly 19 years we've been together.

How can I tell her that it doesn't fit my period?

IMG_20211225_092122.jpg.8f11131f5798f9cc64ff352a8f8e647e.jpg

Never mind period.

It's not HO

Or DCC ready

It's Finland Railways

Whatever you tell her,  I hope you have a comfy spare room. 

Criticise any prezzie that SWMBO gives you and that's where you're sleeping. 

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Whilst I promised my team that I would concentrate on getting the existing railway working 100% before moving on to new additions, I have continued with a 'new addition' which I was developing a couple of years back. When I say that I was developing it I really mean that my good friend Steve Waterfield was developing it. 

I want more loco sounds and the American sound chips simply don't have the steam engine Horns which are typically Chinese. Chinese steam locos have whistles and Horns and they were used on the Chengde system for signalling between the head end loco and the two bankers at the rear. Here is the first attempt...

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

50 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Whilst I promised my team that I would concentrate on getting the existing railway working 100% before moving on to new additions, I have continued with a 'new addition' which I was developing a couple of years back. When I say that I was developing it I really mean that my good friend Steve Waterfield was developing it. 

I want more loco sounds and the American sound chips simply don't have the steam engine Horns which are typically Chinese. Chinese steam locos have whistles and Horns and they were used on the Chengde system for signalling between the head end loco and the two bankers at the rear. Here is the first attempt...

Maybe an over simplified response, but why not just get the horn sounds programmed into the loco chips?

1 hour ago, Al. said:

Maybe an over simplified response, but why not just get the horn sounds programmed into the loco chips?

I agree that if that were possible it would be the best way forward, but as far as I know that cannot be done with the SOUNDTRAXX chips I've had fitted to the locos. I have looked at SOUNDTRAXX website today and we use a mix of Econami and Tsunami chips and I cannot see anything about being able to download sounds. I know it can be done with ZIMO chips but AFAIK not SOUNDTRAXX.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

• RMweb Gold

The early Soundtraxx Tsunami for the SP GS4 had a horn and I used that file on my QJ. I can’t recall if it was playable but it certainly was selectable. 
Value of 52 in cv120 according to the tsunami2 list. 

546F4A2C-FABA-4FA7-9C6A-FED2632B0DB6.jpeg.4aa3c83b7671c1d2ff505f4d76f9ce59.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

I agree that if that were possible it would be the best way forward, but as far as I know that cannot be done with the SOUNDTRAXX chips I've had fitted to the locos. I have looked at SOUNDTRAXX website today and we use a mix of Econami and Tsunami chips and I cannot see anything about being able to download sounds. I know it can be done with ZIMO chips but AFAIK not SOUNDTRAXX.

Have you spoken to Legomanbiffo? When I spoke to them the other year at Warley I sure they said they could do custom sound chip uploads.  

1 hour ago, Al. said:

Have you spoken to Legomanbiffo? When I spoke to them the other year at Warley I sure they said they could do custom sound chip uploads.  

Yes, that's a good idea as I'm sure he could help - if I was starting from scratch.

AFAIK Legomanbiffo uses ESU chips and maybe ZIMO ones - both of those brands allow customised sounds to be uploaded, but all my locos us SOUNDTRAXX and they don't.

22 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Yes, that's a good idea as I'm sure he could help - if I was starting from scratch.

AFAIK Legomanbiffo uses ESU chips and maybe ZIMO ones - both of those brands allow customised sounds to be uploaded, but all my locos us SOUNDTRAXX and they don't.

Would it not be an easier and far simpler solution?

That's another bit of kit that needs installing onto the layout which operators are unlikely to use.

This suggestion will probably 'do all our heads in', but could your air horns sound board contraption, be connected to and operated by an DCC accessory decoder?  That way, any operator could could access that decoder, to operate the horns (even simulate a loco 'somewhere' in the vicinity, not necessarily on the scenic section, for 'atmosphere').  Sounds simple, though I'm quite sure it isn't!  Merry New Year everyone.  :nono:

Steve N

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Al. said:

Would it not be an easier and far simpler solution?

That's another bit of kit that needs installing onto the layout which operators are unlikely to use.

As with all new 'changes' this change can be and will be judged by the operating team. Personally, I am confident that this approach will be better than modified loco chips and even easier to use and certainly very, very, very much cheaper. Hopefully, you and other team members will be able to judge for yourselves very shortly and if I'm wrong we will have to consider Plan B.

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

The early Soundtraxx Tsunami for the SP GS4 had a horn and I used that file on my QJ. I can’t recall if it was playable but it certainly was selectable. 
Value of 52 in cv120 according to the tsunami2 list. 

546F4A2C-FABA-4FA7-9C6A-FED2632B0DB6.jpeg.4aa3c83b7671c1d2ff505f4d76f9ce59.jpeg

Paul

Thanks for your interest and input. I will look into that, but one of the great advantages of the proposed system is the fact that we can use different sounds. The Chinese steam loco horns appear to sound quite different loco to loco and that ability to have that variety will be very useful. Just listen to the two different sounds in that YouTube video - both QJ's!