BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

6 hours ago, steveNCB7754 said:

This suggestion will probably 'do all our heads in', but could your air horns sound board contraption, be connected to and operated by an DCC accessory decoder?  That way, any operator could could access that decoder, to operate the horns (even simulate a loco 'somewhere' in the vicinity, not necessarily on the scenic section, for 'atmosphere').  Sounds simple, though I'm quite sure it isn't!  Merry New Year everyone.  :nono:

Steve N

The simple answer to that question is 'YES' - something along those lines is planned. I had deliberately not flagged it up on RMweb as I wanted to get stage 1 completed and successful before announcing stages 2 & 3.

Our new motto is 'One step at a time!'

• Like 2

Update................

I may have mentioned that this sound project has been on the cards for some time. The system in the YOUTUBE video was only a test piece made by Steve over 12 months ago. I thought the project had stalled there, but much to my surprise I was reminded today that a full-blown production module had been made. I don't know what it's capable of and I don't know exactly how we will use it, but things are progressing.

680244687_SOUNDCARD.jpg.177a95295f47772a4ab427997409e242.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

10 hours ago, Al. said:

Have you spoken to Legomanbiffo? When I spoke to them the other year at Warley I sure they said they could do custom sound chip uploads.  

I have a LokProgrammer and these are the Chinese files I can load onto ESU sound decoders.

But all the rest of the decoders Paul uses for steam loco's are the Soundtraxx ones. I can see the reason for staying with one brand as at least we are "familiar" with the quirks...

Just to keep things complex, there is the option with both Zimo and ESU to have a Hall sensor attached to the sound decoder which uses a trackside magnet to "fire" a specify sound at a specific place. That would be easily the simplest option but I can see why it might not be ideal at this stage.

Luke

image.png.04aabcae7d3c2a06e2a34495a64490f2.png

• Like 2

I do like your idea of adding additional sounds. We may have touched on it before about adding speakers under certain areas of the layout to give whelk clatter over points, station announcements, crossing barrier warnings, play ground noise, etc. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Al. said:

I do like your idea of adding additional sounds. We may have touched on it before about adding speakers under certain areas of the layout to give whelk clatter over points, station announcements, crossing barrier warnings, play ground noise, etc. 

Certainly the level crossing warning is a defo, but I'll need to get the level crossing working reliably first. If not, having the warning sound will only draw viewers attention to its failings. At the moment it works 100% anti-clockwise but not clockwise.

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Certainly the level crossing warning is a defo, but I'll need to get the level crossing working reliably first. If not, having the warning sound will only draw viewers attention to its failings. At the moment it works 100% anti-clockwise but not clockwise.

But please only if at a low volume level, nothing more annoying than having your stand situated alongside an over noisy layout for the duration of a show.  

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Well another Christmas is over and done with and I hope all of you reading this got something you wanted from Santa.

I did!

A mini fridge for the layout shed...............

IMG_20211230_075254.jpg.cbe53fa614e3011badaec52fcb9b7bff.jpg

If one didn't assume otherwise, it would seem relations are strained between you and the missus, you're moving into the shed by stealth!

Mike.

• Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have been very busy lately on various issues to make the existing layout more reliable, easier to transport, easier to operate and generally make life easier for my operating team.

Unfortunately all this 'behind the scenes' stuff is not very photogenic!

I have invested in 16 new plastic storage boxes to speed up the set up and dismantling at exhibitions - and give us more time in the pub! They are sold by TRAINSPORTERS and are really good. There are many issues they improve enormously and I'll try to go into more detail at some time in the future, but for the moment here is a photo of all the rolling stock as we will take them to Glasgow. Hopefully, there will be four team members unpacking and packing stock before and after a show and they will each have a designated 'zone' which are designated RED. BLUE, YELLOW and GREEN and so each stock box has been colour coded so everyone will know where to place each box when unpacking the van.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Earlier today finished an 11 hour shift working on the layout 

(inc a 30 minute lunch break) - I need a hobby! 

Well, if you didn't model Chinese prototypes then you wouldn't have to labour under their oppressive working practices!

Stereotypical. moi?

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

You're absolutely right, 7.30am start today and it's a Sunday! 

I'm with you in spirit, I've been upstairs working on Wibdenshaw since 8 o clock, 7 o clock your time!

Just come back down for crumpets and jam for breakfast.

Mike.

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, richard i said:

I dream of getting 11 hours straight to model. Imagine how much I could get done. 
time taken by work and kids…usual story of a forty something. 
richard 

Easy answer, sell the kids then you'll have more time to spend modelling and more money to spend on models!

Mike.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 2

One 'feature' which has never been used on the layout is the 32 axle transformer wagon. I have traced a photo of the original being hauled by steam in March 2005 and I have replicated that train .......................

.chinatut2005springgroupa430.jpg.07debeb7a82b0ac7129b4e55321459c0.jpg

The only problem has been getting the thing out of its box and assembled every time and then getting all 32 axles on the track - it's been a real nightmare - and so it's mainly sat in its Bachmann box - in three sections - and has barely ever been used.

Not any more!

I've made a custom carrying box which takes the assembled model in one piece and the opens up and sits over a fiddle yard track and with the help of a PECO re-railer it's on the track perfectly in seconds!

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

One issue that I've had on the back burner for years is the building under construction at the far end of the layout. It's basically two PIKO HO kits knitted together. TBH it's a bit of a mess because it has always been removable as it is still 'under construction' in a modelling sense as well as the real world sense. Being put on the layout and removed at every show has inevitably caused damage, but it was only when some of my team came over last week that it was drawn to my attention just how bad things are.

IMG_20220120_160229.jpg.05f858513af25ba0925047f1374884af.jpg

The biggest issue is that the two kits have separated slightly and the left hand one is nowhere near vertical - as I hope you can see

And so I called in some expert builders.............................

IMG_20220120_192808.jpg.e47930983b26d62d228ecb249441b4be.jpg

Hopefully they can come up with a plan.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

The biggest issue is that the two kits have separated slightly and the left hand one is nowhere near vertical - as I hope you can see

.... and this is a problem because..??? :scratchhead:  :dontknow:

Along with "China", the word "stereotype" comes to mind... :whistle:  :mosking:

• Like 2

"Less is more."

That is a well-known phrase and we are thinking of putting that theory to the test - by running fewer trains!

Now, I totally understand that that idea goes against many exhibition attendees thinking, but we are seriously considering it. Why?

We think that the banked coal trains with a 2-8-2 and two banking 2-8-2's is a real SHOW-STOPPER, but it doesn't appear in any of the YOUTUBE videos of the layout. We think that the viewer's attention is drawn away when a train passes closer to the viewer i.e. the viewers naturally look at the roundy-roundy train passing 2ft in front of them rather than the more interesting banked train in the background. CONCLUSION - don't run trains on the main lines when banked trains are about to leave.

Taking that idea further we are about to install a LOUD sound system with speakers under the baseboards which we hope will really attract viewers attention. I've hinted at it before, but now we are about to actually doing it.

First the train loco will signal that it's ready to depart. Then the two bankers will reply. Then they will depart and main line trains will be held until the bankers have left the scenic section. The three sounds are all authentic Chinese steam horns (used for signalling) and yet each is very distinctive i.e. it's not just the same sound bite played three times.

Here's the sound card .... my thanks go out to Steve W of this parish who has designed and built this for us - take a bow Steve!

1579598500_SOUNDCARD.jpg.fbafc24fc512b3c6c17131ed81faba5e.jpg

We think these sounds will really attract the viewer's attention and focus their minds on the banking moves.

There are more ideas, but it's late and so more tomorrow.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2