"Old" Farish Pullman carriages

Gremlin

As the sun came out today, I took some quick snaps of progress so far.

An original Farish car on the left contrasts with parlour 75 without labels, kitchen 69 and first kitchen Phyllis. The windows have been removed and placed correctly for the all steel K class cars, roof details have been completed, paint work is still to be touched in and interior details and underfloor details are still awaiting completion. 

post-7607-0-31344200-1409678501_thumb.jpg

Phyllis showing the labels and colour difference in the umber shade.

post-7607-0-97842200-1409678530_thumb.jpg

3/4 view of Phyllis

post-7607-0-15838400-1409678552_thumb.jpg

Kitchen cars No 69 and Phyllis.

post-7607-0-91669200-1409678572_thumb.jpg

Close up of the labels for Phyllis, once again the camera has focusing difficulty and a slightly dirty lense.

post-7607-0-67178200-1409678596_thumb.jpg

The task of getting all eight cars ready for The International N gauge show continues. I will also apply 'Queen of Scots' labels from Sankey Scenics to the roofs (and tailboard of the last car), as well as headboard to one of my Dapol A3's.

• Like 3

Looks wonderful...must give it a go.  I thought (possibly mistakenly) that I saw on the label instructions that the labels weren't waterproof - will you seal them with dullcoat or semigloss or....something?

You are correct that the labels are not waterproof and that they will smudge if they come into contact with water. Howes railmatchgloss or satin solvent based varnish is recommended to seal them. I haven't decided what I'm going to do regarding this yet, although I might do a test on a spare piece of label.

When you order the labels be careful to make sure that you are ordering for the correct car, either brake or parlour/kitchen as the labels are different for each.

Good luck and I hope to see the results of your work posted here soon. 

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I saw MikeJ's 'Queen of Scots' rake at TINGS last weekend and they look absolutely stunning in the flesh. I was honoured that Mike let me loose running this set behind my Gresley/Ivatt C1, 3279.

Sorry for the poor quality of the video, it was taken on my iPad. Never the less, I'm sure you'll agree than Mike's rake looks fantastic! 

• Like 3

I'll post some photos of the models as they are at present. They ran at TINGS in an unfinished state. Although the car exterior and roof is complete on each one, there are still underframe details and interiors as well as glazing to finish. I must say that Steve's Atlantic is the dog's doodahs and looks superb. I was more than happy to let it loose on The Queen of Scots where it created quite a buzz from spectators. 

Just waiting for the sun to come out in not so sunny Scarborough so that I can get some decent shots of the rake and also the couplings.

Thanks,

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Gremlin,

Sorry to take so long to reply, but I've just returned from holiday, so no progress over the last two weeks.

I've included some photos of the couplings and corridor connections as requested.

I removed the standard knuckle couplings down to the back plate and replaced them with bent and formed wire, one hook and one loop. This is a set rake and will not be shunted, so that the ability to uncouple the cars on the layout is not required. The distance between the buffers is set at 4mm to allow the cars to negotiate the 12" radius hidden curves on The North of England Line. This compromise gets the cars closer coupled without risking bufferlock, derailment or parting.

The trailing corridor connector on each car has the concertina attached to a rubbing plate. This is made from two pieces of paper cut to shape and slotted together to form a flexible and elastic representation of the real thing. To prevent this catching on the car following, a blank rubbing plate was attached to the following car to give a smooth flat surface for the connector to rub against when cornering.

I think that fixing connectors gives the impression that the cars are closer coupled that they really are and improves the look of a full train.

The following photos really do show up the areas requiring attention. Plenty of work still to do.

post-7607-0-77634900-1413118675_thumb.jpg

Car no 69 showing the home made coupling and corridor connection. 

post-7607-0-59169000-1413118717_thumb.jpg

Car no 80 showing the home made coupling and rubbing plate.

post-7607-0-98485700-1413118738_thumb.jpg

The two cars coupled together.

post-7607-0-75244400-1413118758_thumb.jpg

Side on view of the coupling and connectors.

Good luck with your project.

Best wishes,

Mike

• 1 month later...

They look awesome Mike, I would never have guessed the method of coupling while 'play' on NoEL last September! The coaches most certainly looked closer together than 4mm when 3279 was hauling them (they seem like they're almost touching in the video I took).

I've got a few fixed rakes to make up myself so may well use the hook and eye method in the future (once I can model again!).

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Love your work, I am just getting started with a Pullman rake to represent the Devon Belle, coach requirements sorted, coaches all but acquired and research all but completed. one problem though, where did you get the information about the coach roof details? cannot find anything so far.

Best wishes

Simon

Thanks for your kind words bridgiesimon.

I would suggest that you need the appropriate book from this series as it contains details of all the variants with clear photographs of all areas including roof and interior details backed up with text and diagrams. Good look with your build conversions.

Mike

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pullman-Profile-No-12-Wheel-Cars/dp/1906419000

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pullman-Profile-Standard-Type-Cars/dp/1906419221

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pullman-Profile-Steel-K-type-Cars/dp/1906419574

I have no connection with the author or publisher.

Edited by Mike J

Love your work, I am just getting started with a Pullman rake to represent the Devon Belle, coach requirements sorted, coaches all but acquired and research all but completed. one problem though, where did you get the information about the coach roof details? cannot find anything so far.

Best wishes

Simon

Are you doing 12-wheeled brake cars with that? That's a conversion I'll need to be able to produce the Bournemouth Belle (1931 style).

Peter

Hello you two,

I've been improving and detailing the 4mm version, which is identical from what I've seen bar a lack of roof detail, to the 2mm car. I imagine not much would need doing to the 2mm cars; perhaps plating over the match boarding (depending on what you require), fitting of roof detail (vents, toilet piping), new bogies and a spruce-up of the underframe and Gob's your uncle.

As you'll see in the first two photos, the Ford book referred to further up the page has been used as a reference point for the ventilator positions. I opted to replace the match boarding with finer scale plasticard, and am in the process of replacing the buffers, fitting a kadee to the parlour end, hook and screw at the other, and some minor body work. The top windows in the vestibules will need filling in as these weren't present on the real thing.

I hope this is of help and can be applied to the 2mm cars.

- Alex

Hi Alex

The N gauge Pullmans were produced by Poole-era Graham Farish as, as far as I understand, they don't specifically match any particular diagram of Pullman coach. Still, upgrading them and detailing them is certainly possible, and any detail from original drawings (thanks for those as I don't have them) and even 4mm versions will be helpful.

Peter

The brakes match the GER Parlour Brake Firsts as rebuilt from regular Parlours, and I believe the other cars match a typical Parlour First or Kitchen Parlour First diagram, albeit a few mm out here and there, but regardless, a fair representation. The brakes should be mounted on six wheel bogies, the Parlours are fine to remain on their four wheel bogies. I found the four wheel bogies aren't too bad a representation (not sure about 2mm) but yeah, they didn't look too bad from a distance.

As I said, roof detail, a bit of representation underneath and a potential repaint and they're grand cars.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/247192/Graham_Farish_0656_U06_Pullman_Brake_Coach_in_Chocolate_Cream_Pre_owned_replacementt_box/StockDetail.aspx

attachicon.gifPullman brake project 2.jpg

The six wheel bogies in N/2mm have been a bit hard to come by, but the solution has been mentioned! I think we can get a pretty fair representation of a Pullman in N with a bit of detailing (in my case it will be the Bournemouth Belle, 1931 variety, hauled by one of my Urie Class N15s).

6 wheel bogies sourced now - 

http://www.ultima-models.co.uk/catalogue/comp-bogies.html

down near the bottom of the page!

Best wishes

Simon

Nice spot, Si! I wonder if they're new? I've not seen them on EPs site before.

As for the mentioned couplers that are required extras, someone we both know very well does a great 3D printed version here:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dr_designs_for_n_gauge