Everard Junction - 88 to 90 - BR Western Region

richard w

• RMweb Gold

Some really good work here..... your bay platform with its assortment of grease, crud and litter is just as I remember. The mk2s look really smart. I hope you have the heart to be be able to keep up the good work.... fingers crossed that everything and everyone is going to be ok.

Griff

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Baby Deltic said:

Hi Richard,

Those Mark 2’s looked superb. You really raised the bar there and I’ll bet painting all those figures and interiors was like pulling teeth. Do you have a link to the source of the smaller more ‘scaled’ figures please?

Stay well and keep yourself safe

Lloyd

If you look at the video description on YouTube you will see that there are a number of links provided for the products Richard mentioned in the video. Hope this helps.

Edited by BR Blue
Grammar
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

If you look at the video description on YouTube you will see that there are a number of links provided the products Richard mentioned in the video. Hope this helps.

I was watching it on my TV so I couldn't see them. Thanks for the scoop! I'll have a look with the laptop.

On 02/04/2020 at 09:30, RBE said:

My thoughts exactly, I barely get time to do a bit of weathering once every couple of months these days. Not ideal.

As for the layout, the track is looking superb, however, any reason that you didn't take a crack at handbuild points at least for the visible sections of the layout? It's not a critisism I just hate Peco points with a passion and it seems a shame to use them when the rest of the track is so good.

A good question.  I decided to stay with RTR track on this layout as its only my second serious layout.  I compromised & used the new bullhead points and re-spaced the sleepers on the rest of the track.  I expect I will take the track more seriously on future projects.  For now I'm happy with the look, cheers.

Very nice indeed.  Everything seems to blend really nicely, with nothing jarring on the eyes.   You have made a really nice job on the locos and the DMUs; they really look the part.  Your photo-backscene  works well, too (in my opinion!) in providing the appropriate context but without overpowering the scene .  I will look forward to the next installment! (Your layout, not the backscene...obviously... :D)

Best wishes, and stay safe, 

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll be revisiting the back scene one day.  Now I have a much clearer idea of how the scenery is going to work I should be able to make some more substantial backscene frames with less joins.  The existing setup is ok, but I can do better than that, cheers.

10 hours ago, richard w said:

Completed another couple of projects.  Removed my rubbish weathering from a Bachmann 37 and ended up repainting/renumbering in the process.  I've extended the red stripe around the nose as per 37514.

IMG-20200408-WA0008.jpeg.3106378ecfad3e9d2bb6612633137bcb.jpeg20200409_142150.jpg.74ad5f441d4a8279ade2f271c43d197f.jpg

Turning towards DMUs I've de-weathered and started repainting the blue & white on my NSE 108.  Should look quite a bit better once finished.  Just the blue was done when this picture was taken.  You can see how yellow the white is.  Decided to go for the light blue as I much prefer it to the darker blue.

IMG-20200407-WA0014.jpeg.f2ce4746c1b3ed19c1ee0270f6aa19d0.jpeg

Also weathered my two Dapol 121s.  Focused on the roof, under frame and a grey wash on the doors.  Repainted the blue on the example with the upswept stripes.  It was a darker shade for some reason despite being the original version of the livery.  Both units now match and I'll be running them with my 101 once I've finished it.  I've also fitted the detailing pack where possible and the speedo cables.

20200409_124637.jpg.f7c64cc79ecb7952dd2f59466aa18e1d.jpg

20200409_124648.jpg.83b1e81495a3b5bd12a4b975545b8425.jpg

Looks Fantastic as Always Richard. Will you consider getting the new Bachmann 121 when it is fully released as a comparison to the Dapol model? I have a Dapol 122 which was great until it decided to play funny with decoders.

Brilliant weathering on the models, I very much enjoyed the video!

Connor

On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 23:48, richard w said:

I've spent the past 10 days or so working on a project I've been putting off for ages.  Much of my collection was weathered (badly) by me about 5 or 6 years ago.  Certain items I didn't even run as I just wasn't happy with them.  I fell into the usual trap and overcooked the airbrushing on everything.

Now older & wiser I've removed the weathering from 7 locos and re-weathered or repainted them to a better standard.  Paid close attention to the real thing and stayed away from excessive airbrushing.  I've also weathered a few new additions such as the dutch 37.

I don't claim any of the work to be on a professional level but it's certainly quite a bit better than my previous efforts.  

20200401_183053.jpg.aa04edc9d1ae671bab9673005633c92e.jpgImage7.jpg.01f87c2b4eb3273ae56eeed4ded8b859.jpgImage8.jpg.aea2cb005ffb1dc9e82412e7526fa230.jpg20200403_180322.jpg.b5717eb88be26b3dd16d749a7a1e5fec.jpgImage1.jpg.8d62d1cbea6a4791f20cf8fa4d0bcd64.jpgImage3.jpg.0c9fd89265b89776e310c42e191f0641.jpg

Working on a video concerning the project which I hope to have ready tomorrow.  Cheers

These are very nice!!

Great work as always Richard..

15 hours ago, richard w said:

Also weathered my two Dapol 121s.  Focused on the roof, under frame and a grey wash on the doors.  Repainted the blue on the example with the upswept stripes.  It was a darker shade for some reason despite being the original version of the livery.  Both units now match and I'll be running them with my 101 once I've finished it.  I've also fitted the detailing pack where possible and the speedo cables.

20200409_124637.jpg.f7c64cc79ecb7952dd2f59466aa18e1d.jpg

20200409_124648.jpg.83b1e81495a3b5bd12a4b975545b8425.jpg

Photos show 55022 actually had the darker blue appiled to its original style NSE livery so its actually correct as Dapol/Hattons produced it.

Good job on the weathering, looks very good, especially the door ridges.

Mark

Edited by Markmiller2008
  • Like 1

Paul

I'm well aware of the NSE timeline for the colours as NSE is what im modelling.

Definetly not a preservation repaint as its still in its Blue/Grey Chiltern Livery to this day, Well trusted sources within the Railcar fraternaity suggested to me other wise hence my comment and also based on this photo which certainly looks the darker blue to me

55022 04.08.1990

Only my opnion at the end of the day.

Mark

Edited by Markmiller2008
  • Like 2

Even though I live and model far away from NSE land I rather like 47s and esp 50s in original NSE.  I'm not so keen on the later version of NSE. This may be because I never quite got over the ScotRail 47/7s being taken from me and repainted into the later version of NSE!

Same applies to Intercity livery, I liked the original version with yellow cab roof and yellow round the bottom the cab front and side but I didn't like later versions where the livery extended full length with no yellow on the cab sides.  Cant really explain why but there you go.

On the latest video about weathering I have long thought that weathering is very time period specific.  For me late 70s early 80s stock was grubbier than the period I model 85/86.  By the mid 80s while there were exceptions, as Richard points out sides cleanish, roof and undergrames grubby.  By the 90s the thing that I notice is faded rather than necessarily grubby or dirty stock.

Thinking about the 47/7s again. 84 to 87 whilst at Haymarket they were generally well turned out, from laye 87 whilst at Eastfield it was a different story.  So grubby the yellow cab roof often looked yellow.  I can usually tell without seeing the HA castle or ED dog on the side where they were based simply on grubbiness of their appearance.

Thanks for another excellent video. I have some Humbrol washes somewhere, hopefully I have black in my wee collection.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Markmiller2008 said:

Paul

I'm well aware of the NSE timeline for the colours as NSE is what im modelling.

Definetly not a preservation repaint as its still in its Blue/Grey Chiltern Livery to this day, Well trusted sources within the Railcar fraternaity suggested to me other wise hence my comment and also based on this photo which certainly looks the darker blue to me

Only my opnion at the end of the day.

Mark

This has come up before and the timeline mentioned by Paul is correct.  An interesting fact about the red too.

However, like Mark, I too believe this 121 is an exception to the rule, perhaps the only one, in that it had up-swept stripes but with the later dark NSE blue.

When it first came out I too thought it was an error by Dapol. As stated photos can be misleading sometimes and the blue changed over time with exposure to sunlight.  That said, I do think that in this case the livery is correct. Going from memory, I think there were also 121s in the original blue with the up-swept stripes. In fact I am pretty sure I was on one once out of Paddington.

Finally, like Richard, I too much prefer the lighter blue. I have repainted a fair few 50s into it and I have a load of Bachmann Mk 2s that need the same treatment.

In the end, the further we go from this time, it is indeed all about opinions.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

With regards to NSE and shades of blue it really is a minefield just like the size & placement of double arrows on railfreight stuff. 

I looked at various photos of 55022 and it appears to have carried both shades before receiving the revised livery.

In light blue it has red double arrows behind the cab door windows - http://www.hondawanderer.com/55022_Culham_1989.htm

In what appears to be darker blue its received what looks like Thames motifs and still has the red arrows - https://www.railcar.co.uk/images/6683

Dapol modelled it without the Thames logo so I chose to match Martin's photo of it in 1989.  Even if thats not correct I wanted to run both models together.  It looked odd to my eyes having a light blue revised unit and a darker blue original unit.  It is a challenge to find info sometimes and I spend far too much time going through pics and old videos.  Appreciate the info above and will file that away for future reference.

2 hours ago, LongRail said:

Richard with regards to the varnish fading which manufactures product did you use 

Was a pair of 56s and I used Phoenix Precision matt varnish after weathering.  Was the ready thinned for airbrushing version.  Both models yellowed significantly over the course of 4 years in the loft.  Friend of mine had the same problem with his repaints.  Every other project before or since has been done using railmatch.  I've not had any issues with those. 

Still rate and use Phoenix for my projects, but I steer clear of the varnishes just in case.

• Informative/Useful 2

• Tempfix
3 hours ago, richard w said:

Was a pair of 56s and I used Phoenix Precision matt varnish after weathering.  Was the ready thinned for airbrushing version.  Both models yellowed significantly over the course of 4 years in the loft.  Friend of mine had the same problem with his repaints.  Every other project before or since has been done using railmatch.  I've not had any issues with those. 

Still rate and use Phoenix for my projects, but I steer clear of the varnishes just in case.

I've sadly had similar problems with the Phoenix ready to airbrush matt, although not with the gloss. More immediate problem has been a couple of tins that have gone on rather chalky despite following all instruction on stirring. Quite a pain when you've spent days masking and remasking to paint NSE in the first place! Never had a problem with the paints themselves.

Loving the videos as ever Richard, thanks for sharing. Stay safe.

Rich

DMU delights! It is splendid to see these old units in model form that I remember well from when I was a nipper.

If you are interested, incidentally, I have a working timetable for this region of BR in the 1989-1990 period in case you want any information on operations in this period? I am working on a layout not too dissimilar in concept to this but in N gauge (but perhaps slightly farther out of London than yours is set - I infer that yours is intended to be on the Paddington to Reading stretch?).

In any event, I shall look forward to any progress: this layout is a delight to watch being built.