Everard Junction - 88 to 90 - BR Western Region

richard w

I'd like to think the layout represents the GW mainline around the Reading area.  I'll run anything that was seen on the GW mainline but the scenery certainly takes some inspiration from the Reading area.  Timetable would be an interesting read.  Certainly when I get more into the layouts electrics some more accurate running would be nice to have.  Thanks

• Like 1

Not been here for a bit as I've been busy on the layout.  I decided a long time ago that I wasn't happy with the branch line route.  The small yard/sidings that where part of that I wasn't happy with either.  The whole thing felt contrived to me so over the past few weeks I set about moving the fiddle yard for the branch and changing the route.  I also removed the pointless sidings as they didn't really add anything to the scene.

20200415_221706.jpg.2fa7a4d3531bc8df537a7f5e685d3ca3.jpg20200418_144206.jpg.5c73579d9a0e7d9b25bc97cbf7db71c5.jpg

20200411_190937.jpg.ef3d973b06e0509b34cc069ad9c4b7f5.jpg

The branch is now on scene for longer and the lack of sidings really lifts the area for me.  I can now fill it with the scenery I've been thinking about for the past few months.  The new fiddle yard is much easier to use and offers plenty of storage for the units that will work the branch.  The APT wont use it but its a handy place to store it.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Nice work Richard it’s a got a feel of the Colnbrook branch as it weaves under the mainline. I can imagine an oil or aggregate train working it’s way along the branch towards a freight terminal.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Boco_D1 said:

Nice work Richard it’s a got a feel of the Colnbrook branch as it weaves under the mainline. I can imagine an oil or aggregate train working it’s way along the branch towards a freight terminal.

I think a 59 working hard to bring a stone train up the branch would excellent! shame it'd end up in the bay platform :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Great stuff Richard.

Also read the whole thread over on Autoshite, also great work on the Granada after following your link here was it? Or on YouTube no idea, I don’t know how you do it. Over a 1000 hours on the Granada any idea on EJ? Wouldn’t be surprised if you keep a record!

Cheers for sharing.

14 hours ago, richard w said:

Been shot to pieces by a few on the YouTube side but that's nothing new!

I'm no expert and don't claim to be.  Good fun though, you can't please everybody.

I don't see how you've given anyone reason for complaint.

It is your layout built to please you, just as I build mine to please me.

I find your reasoning & explanations for your choices the most interesting aspects of your videos. These are almost always a matter of personal choice, not right or wrong.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

15 hours ago, richard w said:

Been shot to pieces by a few on the YouTube side but that's nothing new!

I'm no expert and don't claim to be.  Good fun though, you can't please everybody.

You’re always going to come across keyboard warriors and armchair experts on a platform like Pootube. A lot of them can’t even string a sentence together let alone build a layout. When someone says “show me some of your amazing work then” they go quiet.

Edited by Baby Deltic
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, richard w said:

Thanks for the interest guys.  It was a good learning experience doing that bit and I've already started taking those lessons to other parts of the layout.  Been shot to pieces by a few on the YouTube side but that's nothing new!

I've since ballasted the last bit of the mainlines and added a pair of points for scenic interest and the opportunity to swap the fast trains around more easily.

Its no wonder that more modellers don't put their work up online because of the keyboard warriors :rolleyes:

They're all experts until someone asks to see their efforts. Then its silence.

Its fine to have an opinion but at least try to make it constructive.

Even though I have no real interest in the period you model I really enjoy your YouTube videos & especially the way you describe what you are trying to do.

Don't ever be deterred from doing what you are doing, because its good :good_mini:

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Richard,

Great video, the ground effect looks very realistic, like the idea of looking at it from different angles when building it up. I had a look at the tree tutorial which was very interesting.

Sorry to hear that you have been receiving grief on YouTube.

I have a comment however which I hope you will find helpful regarding to the LOC cases where you have placed them on the opposite side of the track from the concrete toughing route and used orange pipe for the cable connection. (I work in the industry so the terminology I have used here is correct) I have attached an extract from British Rail drawing of 1980 showing the interface between LOC cases and concrete toughing which you may find helpful.

Orange pipe is used to identify to the tamper crews that there is a cable route between the sleepers so they don’t plough through it.

Normally orange pipe is only used to run cable to connect individual piece of equipment, so that if the worst happens and the pipe is dug up it minimises the damage.

Normally to connect major pieces of equipment and connect troughing routes either side the track a UTX (under track crossing) is used although more recently hollow sleepers have been used on some. A UTX is fairly deep below the track and will have manholes for access either side.

I hope this is of use, keep up the good work.

image.png.f242324d787aef9279746338a197378a.png

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

That’s really nice !

RE YouTube - to be honest , anyone who puts their stuff in the public domain can expect some negativity at times. 
you’ve basically opened yourself up to the....world !

I've been making these videos for 10 years, I know how it works.  I wasn't looking to start a conversation on that point.  Just mentioned it as I'd just read some while typing the post and was understandably a bit annoyed.

I count myself lucky that I only get a small number of comments like that per video.  Generally speaking everybody is very friendly and get a conversation going, some good ideas too.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

I think you do an excellent job on the YouTube videos, and for me, you explain things a lot better than a lot of 'tutorials' do. Your chosen era isn't my thing but it's the quality content that matters.

Going back to some of your earlier videos you can clearly see the improvements in your skills over time.

Edited by maq1988
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

A 4 track section of the Western mainline set in the late 80s has always been my ambition. I have been assembling stock for years and Everard Junction is a great inspiration.

Looking forward to seeing a Dapol 59 running on Everard Junction one day as well as the Bachmann 117,

Keep up the great work.

Hi,

I am getting back into model railways after many years away, and have found your videos very helpful indeed.

I recently bought some Hornby Pullman coaches, and 2 had already been fitted with 12v LED lighting strips in the roof, so your video on that has inspired me to fit similar lights to the other 6 coaches. The rectifier circuit is basically the same as yours (I will be DCC), but have used a 5K potentiometer in place of the fixed resistor so that I can vary the lighting level - works well. The trick with the kitchen foil is also great, just occasionally breaks on first installing, so continuity testing is essential before refitting the bogie and soldering the connecting wires.

Thanks for the inspiration.

• Thanks 1