Everard Junction - 88 to 90 - BR Western Region

richard w

• RMweb Premium

The houses are definitely right for the area - my parents still live in one in the Thames Valley - almost identical to the ones in that Google photo.

Built in the 1930's on the site of an old Orchard; we moved there in the mid-70's.

Good luck with the build Richard.

• Like 1

Hi,

Watched the latest video about detailing the farm bridge last night, looks fantastic!

One point to note that actually Orange Pipe for undertrack crossings is actually still allowed by Network Rail, however it is the very last resort and if agreed by the RAM. I thought the same as you that it was banned, but a couple of days ago whilst researching for a Hornby Mag article I discovered the current cable route installation standard did allow it, albeit if nothing else could be done and it was agreed to.

I spotted that the HW Point Motors are the wrong way round, the sticky out bits (technical term! :lol:) on either side of the body at the very end of the motor should be at the very end of the blades, with the rest of machine lying towards the heel of the point.

Simon

• Like 4

I’ve been watching your videos on the layout, absolutely stunning Richard. 

your attention to detail is brilliant keep up the good work 

St Simon them point motors we call them M63 or knuckle scrapers :lol: we still have a few on the patch. 

Edited by mark axlecounter

1 hour ago, mark axlecounter said:

St Simon them point motors we call them M63 or knuckle scrapers :lol: we still have a few on the patch. 

Hi,

The PECO ones are definitely HW1000s / HW2000, the 63s have flat bodies and the Lead screw housing protruding out one end.

Simon 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Unfortunately the peco point motors are out of scale and far too large  a HW2000 point motor which is 1500mm long and you can compare this with the inner running edge of rails which are 1432mm (1435mm) apart you used to be able to the correct size ones in white metal from colincraig4mm

• Informative/Useful 1

Watched the latest update on the TV last night - bloody stunning mate. Really is. I've never really taken much thought into the 'past the scenic break' part of the layout, but your embankment and ballast, a very simple job, is very effective and really looks the piece.

Interesting comment about orange pipes under the track for cables - I model the current day, especially given my layout is, in theory, post major upgrade. As a result, I'll have to find another use for my orange pipes from Scalemodelscenery. I've now enquired about getting hollow sleepers, the replacement, 3D printed. Appreciate that comment, cheers.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/11/2021 at 09:19, St. Simon said:

Hi,

Those houses are in Tilehurst, Oxford Road to be exact, I walk past when I'm going shopping, just behind you is the GWML.

I love the models though, just right!

Simon

Waitrose?

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, The Pilotman said:

Waitrose?

Yep, although I point out that it’s for Logistical Reasons as it’s the only supermarket in walking distance from my house (and I don’t  drive :) )

My Colleagues think that they are paying me too much! :lol:

Simon

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Good to see the latest installment Richard.

I've been following the whole process from the start and in particular like what you've done with the scenery as this is a weak point of mine. 

The scenic breaks looks good and I like the little detail of the location cabinet gantry set into the embankment. It reminded me that there's one near me on a local commuter line so I thought you might like to see it. I also took a photo of one of the many types of greaser as well.

Cheers.

IMG_20211208_160155.jpg

IMG_20211208_160244.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 minutes ago, Wayne 37901 said:

Good to see the latest installment Richard.

I've been following the whole process from the start and in particular like what you've done with the scenery as this is a weak point of mine. 

The scenic breaks looks good and I like the little detail of the location cabinet gantry set into the embankment. It reminded me that there's one near me on a local commuter line so I thought you might like to see it. I also took a photo of one of the many types of greaser as well.

Cheers.

IMG_20211208_160155.jpg

IMG_20211208_160244.jpg

Ive made handful different railhead grease units for on banks road 

• 3 weeks later...

Weathering is something I'm yet to try and, no doubt like others on here, look at your examples above and gaze at beauty.

Particularly impressive is that Polybulk - so bloody good! Looking forward to a 45-minute video of you doing these ;)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/01/2022 at 07:00, sb67 said:

Love the OCA wagon, how did you get the faded effect? 

I used the airbrush to apply a heavily thinned white wash.  Kept building up coats of paint until I reached the desired level of faded red.  Go careful, easy to overdo it.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

21 minutes ago, richard w said:

I used the airbrush to apply a heavily thinned white wash.  Kept building up coats of paint until I reached the desired level of faded red.  Go careful, easy to overdo it.

Thank you, I'm guessing that's the first thing you did and the rest of the weathering came after?

• Like 1