Everard Junction - 88 to 90 - BR Western Region

richard w

I have also enjoyed plenty of your layout progress videos. I agree that it is sad to see the layout gone but all of us get to a stage where we have so many things that we want to do differently that the only choice is to start again. You have plenty of videos (& I'm sure photos too) which will always bring back fond memories.

Good luck with the replacement. You seem to have some good ideas & are giving yourself time to consider them before getting started so I am sure the next one will be well worth the effort.

I never regretted dismantling my last layout. I am much happier with my new one. ..so far.

The plan at the moment is to use 10mm ply for strength and lightness and fit them on  rods so that hopefully there will be a fine enough adjustment to ensure that the slope is consistent over the entire length.

Unfortunately as we haven't seen one working in real life its getting the fine details right that's the difficulty.

Your best bet here then is to find out your curve radius and make sure you place enough rods around the curve. Sufficient support should mean no sag or bumps and plenty of fine adjustment once you have the first helix section installed all the others are a breeze to stack on top.

Richard,

You may want to take a look at this helix. Strikes me that the shape is more robust than a traditional curved helix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRDg0ecT73o&t=345s

Cheers

Dave

Definitely a more economic use of board and easier to cut than curved profiles........... Gets my vote!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Things are progressing, but slowly.  I should be getting some windows installed in the roof in the next few weeks and will then insulate the loft.  Taking the previous layout apart and boxing up/ binning the mountain of stuff up there took far longer than I had expected.  My day job is quite physical so I often don't have much energy when I get home, layout work tends to only happen at weekends.  I'm also right in the middle of restoring my Ford Granada.

I've pretty much decided not to use the helix system again as the loft will accommodate a larger layout on a single level quite happily.  The slope of the roof up there means that a helix layout has its boards close together which makes for a lot of fumbling around in the dark when working below the scenic level.  The focus of the new layout will be terrain and have baseboards which feature as many rises and falls in terrain as possible.  I always thought the old layout was much too flat.  Videos will start again when I begin building the new baseboards.

I'm taking things slowly putting quite a bit of thought into what the new layout should be like.  Many ideas have come and gone and I'm still not finalised on a plan yet.  Once I've built a baseboard things can get back to normal and I'll be able to pop up there and do modelling whenever I have a spare hour.

I'll leave a link below for the Granada restoration I'm doing if you're interested.

http://autoshite.com/topic/25964-1975-ford-granada-coupe-the-welding-continues/page-1

Cheers.    

• Like 16

Things are progressing, but slowly.  I should be getting some windows installed in the roof in the next few weeks and will then insulate the loft.  Taking the previous layout apart and boxing up/ binning the mountain of stuff up there took far longer than I had expected.  My day job is quite physical so I often don't have much energy when I get home, layout work tends to only happen at weekends.  I'm also right in the middle of restoring my Ford Granada.

I've pretty much decided not to use the helix system again as the loft will accommodate a larger layout on a single level quite happily.  The slope of the roof up there means that a helix layout has its boards close together which makes for a lot of fumbling around in the dark when working below the scenic level.  The focus of the new layout will be terrain and have baseboards which feature as many rises and falls in terrain as possible.  I always thought the old layout was much too flat.  Videos will start again when I begin building the new baseboards.

I'm taking things slowly putting quite a bit of thought into what the new layout should be like.  Many ideas have come and gone and I'm still not finalised on a plan yet.  Once I've built a baseboard things can get back to normal and I'll be able to pop up there and do modelling whenever I have a spare hour.

I'll leave a link below for the Granada restoration I'm doing if you're interested.

http://autoshite.com/topic/25964-1975-ford-granada-coupe-the-welding-continues/page-1

Cheers.    

You're doing fantastic work on that Granada of yours.

It really is a labour of love.

Takes me back to my younger days messing with Mini's.

Thinking back to some of the stuff we got up to I must have been mad  :O

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

News travels fast... what a fantastic 1st video, full of great tips and really nicely edited.  That is a serious industrial grade baseboard build.  The trouble is I now what the "Box Set" to watch in one go, can't wait till the next episode :-)

Edited by Jaggzuk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I shed a private tear for 'Everard 1' Desk

I don't, although I did wonder how anyone could rip up so many years of hard work. But when I saw the state of those boards and the issues Richard was having and now I see the birth of something new and so much better than what went before, I just have excitement. Change bring opportunities! I do think hard about significant changes in my life (like when I sold my self built kit car after 28 years) but the new order brings its own pleasures.