St Ives branch relaying?

Rob F

Was down in Cornwall last weekend (playing golf, West Cornwall GC at Lelant was absolutely superb) and noticed large amounts of new steel sleepers piled by the side of the line from Lelant Saltings to a good way towards Carbis Bay. I assume new rail will be used as well? Anyone any ideas when this is likely to happen?

ROB

• RMweb Gold

Just in time to disrupt summer tourists?

Tusk tusk, Mr Kenton, surely you know us better than that?!

The work is probably to be done by our local PW, rather than contractors, and as such could be done in stages overnight. I'm not aware of any disruptive possessions booked, and in any case, neither we nor FGW would countenance anything disruptive during the summer.

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

Tusk tusk, Mr Kenton, surely you know us better than that?!

The work is probably to be done by our local PW, rather than contractors, and as such could be done in stages overnight. I'm not aware of any disruptive possessions booked, and in any case, neither we nor FGW would countenance anything disruptive during the summer.

Down here again and noticed that the St Ives branch is now CWR from St Erth as far as the curve out onto the dunes above Porth Kidney Sands. I have been coming down here all my life and though it is smoother and quieter it just doesn’t seem right!

Anyone know if there are any immediate plans to do the remainder of the line?