Paint colours for Isle of Wight style coaches?

Hi,

I have a plan to convert the Hornby LNER clerestory or Ratio midland coaches to resemble loosely some Isle of Wight stock.  But can anyone help with what paint (manufacturer and colour) i would need to represent them in BR condition?  I think they ran in both green and red at different times. (An aerosol would probably give me the best finish as i'm not the neatest with a paint brush :) )

Can anyone suggest what decals I can use for the numbering and lettering as well and advise on a varnish to seal them?

Thanks

I would guess that coaches on the IoW would have been painted in standard BR colours after nationalisation, i.e. Carmine red from 1948 up to circa 1956, then green. I use Halfords aerosol Ford Rosso Red for the former - no idea about about the latter as I don't model the SR. Try googling RAF Kinloss Model Railway Club as they have a list of Halford's equivalents to railway colours.

As regards transfers for coach numbers, try Modelmaster or Cambridge Custom Transfers. Can't help you regarding varnishes - I brush paint on Humbrol matt.

David C

Another option from Halfords is Vauxhall Carmine for the red era. Railmatch do a spray can for BR(SR) coaching stock green (LINK) but I've never had much luck with keeping their nozzles unblocked! There may even be an acrylic version by now.

Fox transfers or HMRS are also options for number transfers. They were never lined or had roundels on in the BR era so they're nice and simple.

Good luck with the conversions; once Kernow's 02 is available I may have a go myself. Meanwhile I'm plodding on with my 7mm versions...

Cheers

Jon F.

• 3 weeks later...

As  above  the  carriages  were  Carmine  red  then  BR (S)  green.  There  were  also  a  number  of  SR  PMV's  in  use,  these  were  however  BR  Maroon  rather  than  Carmine.  Later  in  BR (S)  green  as  per  the  carriages.

A  minor  point  regarding  the  numbering.  Only  the  S  prefix  was  used,  the  S  suffix  wasnt  applied.

Archived