BRM August + DVD Bumper Pack

SteveCole

• Administrators

Hi all,

We have something a little different for you this month.

You’ll be able to buy BRM’s August issue as normal (still only £3.75) and it comes with a stunning 16-page ‘Layout of a Lifetime’ supplement featuring Monk’s Bay. And, as always, this issue will be available to download as a Digital Edition from just £2.49 an issue.

post-14186-0-23659500-1403874035_thumb.png

But, we’re also offering a special Bumper Pack version, priced at just £4.99. You get the same great magazine, free supplement plus an exclusive 45-minute BRM TV DVD. The DVD has been designed to complement the magazine. For example, Monk’s Bay appears in the Layout of a Lifetime supplement and is on the DVD! Phil Parker reveals how to build a beer festival diorama in the magazine and on the DVD he offers a step-by-step guide to static grass. The DVD also features Tony Wright reviewing Hornby’s P2, plus Howard Smith does a Tried and Tested on the new Train-Tech Sound Chip. And, if that wasn’t enough we’ve also raided the BRM video archive and included the awesome Glendower ‘layout in a basement’!

post-14186-0-36633900-1403874054_thumb.png

The Bumper Pack will only be available from WHSmith outlets with a limited supply (so be quick!) and will sit alongside the normal issues of BRM. So, if you don’t want to pay £4.99 for the Bumper Pack, you can still buy BRM at £3.75. You have the choice…

As for the Digital Edition, the same principle applies. We’ll upload two versions:

1.       BRM + supplement priced from £2.49

2.       BRM + supplement + video priced at £3.99

We’ll be uploading a magazine contents list on Monday, together with a 1-minute promotional DVD trailer.

The Digital Editions go live on Friday, July 4th.

The print versions go on-sale in shops on Thursday, July 10th.

One can but hope that for this one our local branch of WHS put it with the railway/model railway titles instead of the cars/motor vehicles stuff on the shelf above,  i had a right job finding the July issue.

No this one is destined for the top shelf.

• Administrators

Subscribers - whether print or digital - get the magazine plus 16-page Layout of the Lifetime mini-magazine. The DVD/video is only available with the higher priced Bumper Pack which is sold separately. 

• RMweb Gold

Subscribers - whether print or digital - get the magazine plus 16-page Layout of the Lifetime mini-magazine. The DVD/video is only available with the higher priced Bumper Pack which is sold separately. 

Think that's a mistake Steve IMHO, I'll not be spending another 4 quid to get the vid, but might have been tempted to an add-on extra at a lower price (£1.50?)

EDIT:

I seem to be still getting "Agree" ratings for this old post. Might I suggest that folks read my later post and Andy's reply :)

• Administrators

As promised, here's what you'll find in the August issue of BRM:

3 Great Layouts

• Florinstone - Andrew Butler's OO gauge layout can become six different locations with interchangeable buildings and different rolling stock.
  • Borders Reach - A Scottish diesel depot in OO from Paul Wright with an interesting, though poignant history
  • Teeside Steel - Bringing back scenes from his youth, Jeff Wetherell builds part of a steel complex in 7mm scale. 

Practical BRM

• Modern era plant pots - Howard Smith builds concrete plant pots for his O gauge layout
  • Improving Bachmann's K3 - Tony Wright adds a new chassis and tender
  • Model a festival - Phil Parker on producing a festival for your layout

Prototype Inspiration

• LNER K3 - a potted history by William Ascough
  • APT-E - following the Rapido announcement, Ben Jones takes a look at the real thing

Something a little different...

• BRM Project Layout: Introducing Stokesay, our N gauge project layout for 2014-2015
  • Water Jet Baseboards - find out more about this high-pressure, water jet technology

Products

• What's New
  • Review: Hornby Grange
  • Review: Dapol SR 25t Pillbox Brake Van
  • Tried & Tested: PH Designs signal kit
  • Tried & Tested: Train-Tech SFX Sound System

PLUS...

16-page 'Layout of a Lifetime' Mini-Magazine: Monks Bay Model Railway.

• RMweb Gold

Think that's a mistake Steve IMHO, I'll not be spending another 4 quid to get the vid, but might have been tempted to an add-on extra at a lower price (£1.50?)

Have to agree

I think it should be made available to down load online as suggested above for £1.50 on its own

• Administrators

Here's a short video that shows high pressure, water jet technology being used to cut baseboards. Find out more in the August issue of BRM, which goes on-sale as a Digital Edition on Friday.

Hello :)

Please dont think I am being awkward or anything but I wouldnt think water jetting wood is a wise idea? I have always thought water and wood do not mix, especially MDF. Laser cutting on the other hand...

Julia.

• Administrators

Once again those of us who like to support our local shop will miss out. To get to my local Smiths will involve about a gallon of Diesel, so upping the price of the bumper edition by some £6.00 +.

Apologies, but it just isn't viable to offer a Bumper Pack like this in all stores. If it was, we'd do it.

We do, however, have some exciting plans for the near future that will encompass ALL copies of BRM. As soon as details are confirmed, I'll reveal more.

• Moderators

look forward to seeing how H produces his plant pots as I need something similar for Fourgig - I already have the flowers etc from www.modeltreeshop.com :)

As it so happens Ian, I had some flowers in these too! But BR weren't all that keen on maintaining them in good condition as you'll see...

Howard

• RMweb Premium

I don't mean to put a downer on this but am I better off cancelling my subscription then ???

Owen

a loyal subscriber of many years

• RMweb Gold

This rather black and white position seems very harsh on loyal subscribers

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Thinking about this a little more it may be that the tech does not allow (at the moment) to allow subscribers to access the dvd separately. I can see why Steve wants to make it so that the casual buyer has to buy the mag to get the DVD just like buying the hard copy from Smiffs.

Maybe we should see what develops over the next few months?

Hello :)

Please dont think I am being awkward or anything but I wouldnt think water jetting wood is a wise idea? I have always thought water and wood do not mix, especially MDF. Laser cutting on the other hand...

Julia.

Hi Julia,

If it didn't work, or was detrimental to the wood/MDF, they wouldn't do it! It works really well and is a good way to avoid the harmful dust created when cutting MDF the old-fashioned way.

Ben

Archived