BRM August + DVD Bumper Pack

SteveCole

• RMweb Premium

A tad nearer the Norfolk Broads than the North Norfolk Coast my baseboard tops are MDF and I have had no problems with them and they have now been down some 8years+. But the layout is in a spare bedroom rather than a shed or garage.

Sadly mines undercontruction in a shed as 35ft of GWR / MSWJR Station wouldn't fit in the house even if I knocked through some walls!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alan

The main problem using MDF once wet it swells and it will not srink back to it's original state if it dries out, it's one of the most unstable wood type product on the market it will suck moisture from the air if it's not completely sealed, more so if it has already been soaked, you are lucky you do have your layout in a dry room in the house if it had been in a shed you layout would be looking like a roller coaster after 8 years.

I've had my portable layout sections stowed in my 'garage room' for 7 years and they have MDF tops but they are fully sealed, especially on the edges, and seem not to have suffered.  But I don't like the material, admit to my mistake in using it, and would never use it unless it is very carefully sealed along the edges and on both sides (if for some reason I do have to use it in the future).

I agree absolutely with 81C about the impact of water on various materials having left outdoors oddments of different stuff over the years - the one which disintegrates the quickest is MDF and even dirt cheap hardboard tends to last a little longer; ply 'muckboards' which I use when brick and slab laying are cheerfully left out in all weathers with minimal effect on them, but they are well covered with cement of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived