BRM August + DVD Bumper Pack

SteveCole

Hi Julia,

If it didn't work, or was detrimental to the wood/MDF, they wouldn't do it! It works really well and is a good way to avoid the harmful dust created when cutting MDF the old-fashioned way.

Ben

Im sorry Ben but I thought it was common knowledge that MDF and water do not mix. I watched that video clip and the wood they were cutting did not look happy at all. I wouldnt use it to make any of my baseboreds for sure.

As for you "if it didnt work, they wouldnt do it" comment the only experience I have had with companies water jet cutting MDF is for temporary supports, jigs, or mock-ups which are for short term, one off use only. I would seriously would doubt the quality of the MDF over a much longer period, especially as a baseboard.

But then, what do I know!

Julia.

There used to be a well established river boat builders yard in Cambridge. A mate of mine, who trained to be a professional chippie, did his apprenticeship there, told us at one of the local club meetings, of the building of their boats. Fibreglass hulls, nicely finished interiors, quite expensive, but with internals built of mdf. Not a good material for a damp enviroment, and in fact they became known for the mdf rotting away after a very short life.

The yard closed down a few years later through a lack of orders I'm told....

Stewart

• Administrators

Surely there is a difference between cutting using water jet and storing the MDF in a damp place such as the inside of a boat? How quickly would any problems show up in a very visible use such as a baseboard as opposed to hidden away in furniture?

I'll admit I'm curious about the idea of bringing water and MDF together. However, if it all goes horribly wrong, at least we'll get to know about it in the future. If you find an 8 page "Horrible things I am going to do to the people who made my wobbly baseboards by Ben Jones" drop out of a future mag then it all went wrong...

• RMweb Gold

Surely there is a difference between cutting using water jet and storing the MDF in a damp place such as the inside of a boat? How quickly would any problems show up in a very visible use such as a baseboard as opposed to hidden away in furniture?

I'll admit I'm curious about the idea of bringing water and MDF together. However, if it all goes horribly wrong, at least we'll get to know about it in the future. If you find an 8 page "Horrible things I am going to do to the people who made my wobbly baseboards by Ben Jones" drop out of a future mag then it all went wrong...

I've done a bit of delving on the 'net and there seem to be very mixed views and results about cutting mdf with waterjets.  Many report edge swelling, especially when cutting other than straight lines although a couple of those who have done it say it's not a problem - but they only cut parts for prototyping or to check machine settings before cutting expensive material.

My own experience with mdf is that if you don't seal the edges and water gets in you'll have a job getting it out without something happening to the surface of the material.  And carpenters I know who use a lot of it always say get it sealed as quickly as you can to avoid any moisture getting into it or dust rubbing off it. 

• RMweb Gold

Im sorry Ben but I thought it was common knowledge that MDF and water do not mix. I watched that video clip and the wood they were cutting did not look happy at all. I wouldnt use it to make any of my baseboreds for sure.

As for you "if it didnt work, they wouldnt do it" comment the only experience I have had with companies water jet cutting MDF is for temporary supports, jigs, or mock-ups which are for short term, one off use only. I would seriously would doubt the quality of the MDF over a much longer period, especially as a baseboard.

Julia.

You are only a design engineer after all :no:  I did my apprenticeship as a wood machinist and I'd have to agree - I'm not a fan of MDF to start with and am sure that cutting it with a water jet would do nothing for its long term stability.

Jerry

You are only a design engineer after all :no:  I did my apprenticeship as a wood machinist and I'd have to agree - I'm not a fan of MDF to start with and am sure that cutting it with a water jet would do nothing for its long term stability.

Jerry

I sell laminate flooring for a living laminate has an MDF base layer if water of any quantity gets in the joins it blows the MDF base witch means replacing the hole floor

Guest 2750

Disappointed as a subscriber that the DVD isn't included.

To cancel my subscription, do I just contact my bank to cancel the direct debit? Struggling to find information on the Model Railways Live website.

• RMweb Premium

Disappointed as a subscriber that the DVD isn't included.

Have to echo that sentiment, despite the explanations previously posted. As a subscriber , I've paid in advance for my copy of the mag, whatever its contents. It wouldn't make any kind of sense to  pay for a 'bus trip to my nearest WHS and then shell out an additional £4.99 solely to obtain the DVD ( plus a surplus copy of the magazine).

I think this situation needs a re-think by Warners.

On the positive side, the contents of the mag and the Layout Of A Lifetime supplement seem promising.

Regards,

John

Edit to correct price of Bumper edition

I'm thankful for small mercies.  The magazine successfully negotiated the minefield that is the Royal Mail and arrived yesterday.

Although not an aficionado of the Late and Never Early I found the twin features on the K3 a worthwhile read.  The model part is TW at his finest and Mr Ascough's prototype info appears comprehensive.  I had been wondering how Phil Parker would set about modelling a beer festival.  Most of those that I visit are held in old town halls, corn exchanges and marquees but his village hall looks positively idyllic!  If sound were not such an emotive issue I would suggest a couple of typical effects - a voice yelling "And another winner on the tombola" and some typical beerfest music by Dr Busker.[ What's that?  You've not heard of him?  Dear me!]

Finally, I was most taken with Howard Smith's plant tubs and wish I had read his method of reproducing concrete before spending several hours getting it wrong!

Chris

• RMweb Gold

There's a good reason why I've clicked agree on Ian's post above; just hang fire with us on this one guys.

Waiting with baited breath. Especially considering I can't see how to buy the DVD as I ave a live digital subscription.. 

• Administrators

I asked my other half to pick up the bumper edition from Smiths at lunchtime today.

But she only got the normal issue, seems the bumper edition hadn't been delivered yet.   :cry:

Jim

Leamington Spa had them in this afternoon. The Premium edition isn't bagged, but it has a tall insert and the DVD fixed to the cover so on the shelf it doesn't look that different to the standard issue depending on how they are displayed.

• Administrators

I had been wondering how Phil Parker would set about modelling a beer festival.  Most of those that I visit are held in old town halls, corn exchanges and marquees but his village hall looks positively idyllic!  If sound were not such an emotive issue I would suggest a couple of typical effects - a voice yelling "And another winner on the tombola" and some typical beerfest music by Dr Busker.[ What's that?  You've not heard of him?  Dear me!]

Chris

Chris - I'll write up a little more background on the beer festival on the BRM blog next week, including the dates of the prototype for anyone in the Midlands.

• RMweb Gold

Leamington Spa had them in this afternoon. The Premium edition isn't bagged, but it has a tall insert and the DVD fixed to the cover so on the shelf it doesn't look that different to the standard issue depending on how they are displayed.

The local WHS seems to have suffered its usual problem about where to put BRM - last month it was with the motoring mags, this time it's with the aviation and commercial vehicle titles.  Seems they gave difficulty in associating it with railways, prototype or model.  Hence it's not easy to find - can't help sales.  

The local WHS seems to have suffered its usual problem about where to put BRM - last month it was with the motoring mags, this time it's with the aviation and commercial vehicle titles.  Seems they gave difficulty in associating it with railways, prototype or model.  Hence it's not easy to find - can't help sales.  

Each  WHS  branch  has  a  planogram,  this  is   as the  name  suggests a detailed  plan of  where  every  item in store  is  supposed  to be  sited, I visited 3 branches  today  and  in each one  BRM  was  correctly  sited  with  the  other  Railway Modelling magazines. Thus  indicating  the  planogram  has been correctly implemented.

So it  suggests  that  the  branch  which The  stationmaster uses  are not referring  to their planogram.  So  the  staff need  a  wake  up call.

The 'Layout of a Lifetime' supplement of Monks Bay Model Railway was great fun to do and I'm sure lovers of Allan Downes' buildings will recognise the style and quality of the buildings.

1_Monks_Bay_Detail_8s.jpg

As the owner, Mike, is a fan of aviation heritage there's a healthy collection of 1:72 aircraft too so I couldn't resist a Canberra flyby of the castle.

1_Monks_Bay_Detail_10_Canberra-s.jpg

Re the chat about water cutting MDF, when I read the article (bought locally, so no DVD, but it did save me £6-00 in fuel, £1-80 in parking and the £1-00 extra for the bumper edition a total of £8-80)It stated that cut MDF is dried over night after it comes off the machine. I assume that's in some sort of oven.

Julia.

Hi Julia,

I have to admit that I was dubious about it when I first heard how it was done, given that the traditional advice is not to get MDF wet. But, I have the baseboard sections at home now and they look perfectly healthy. There are already numerous layouts around the country that have had board section cut in this way and The Goods Yard (who design and build layouts for their customers, and designed these board sections) have had no reports of problems. The exposure to water is very brief (but intense!) and the boards are immediately put to one side and dried out. Prolonged exposure to a damp atmosphere is a different thing altogether and certainly not recommended.

Ben

pick up the mag today, got the bumper pack. Nice read did like the borders reach layout. I really enjoy the dvd (would of been nice to see a diesel layout), hope you are going to do more. even "her n doors" like it ......".you are on a winner there mate".                                        p.s disagree with the star letter but that is another debate!.  regards steve.

• RMweb Premium

Sadly I'm in the "£6-00 in fuel, £1-80 in parking and the £1-00 extra for the bumper edition a total of £8-80)" brigade so I won't be getting the special edition.

There is waterproof MDF, which  I have read about on other web sites, but never seen, except on the underside of waterproof laminate where it seemed to be green tinged instead of the normal brown.

My long term humidity, between the Norfolk Broads and the North sea,  says definately no Normal MDF so all my base boards are Ply. I know they Laser cut Ply, but does water jetting work as neatly?

The Q

Archived