How Many Hornby A4's Have You Got

Mike70

Whatever the desirability of a 7 or 8 coach (3 articulated) Silver Jubilee set in fine scale 00, to match 2509 'Silver Link'  the cost would be most likely over £500 thus unlikely.

And some would want the 1935 spec and some the 1938 spec...

And few would be able or willing to display such a long model, so my feeling is, I'm afraid, that I doubt it will happen.

Nice thought though....

Whatever the desirability of a 7 or 8 coach (3 articulated) Silver Jubilee set in fine scale 00, to match 2509 'Silver Link'  the cost would be most likely over £500 thus unlikely.

And few would be able or willing to display such a long model, so my feeling is, I'm afraid, that I doubt it will happen.

Nice thought though....

Rob,

maybe, maybe not.

It happens all the time for US models.

BLI does the SP Daylight, in 1941 and 1953 variants.

One car units: $79.99 (x4)

Observation car: $89.99 (x1)

Two car articulated units: $149.99 (x4)

Three car articulated units: $199.99 (x1)

Each is sold separately. The whole 16 car train is $1,209.90 (£700.00) though you don't have to buy the whole train.

Walthers does a new 'named train' every so often, perhaps every year (I'm not keeping track). Their latest is the AT&SF San Francisco Chief (12 cars plus EMD F7 A+B set) Pricing is similar.

At one point the Walthers stuff was manufactured at Sanda Kan. It may still be at Kader Manufacturing Services.

Personally I think the Coronation / West Riding set would sell more than the Silver Jubilee based on the number of garter blue A4s out there.

Coronation is (I believe) a nine car set with four A+B articulated components. It's not too long for a club layout and you could cut it down to five (with selective compression) if you ditched the middle of the train. The Silver Jubilee with two car articulated sets (x2) and three car articulated sets (x2) so it could be cut down to five cars as well.

My main point is that it can be done and done profitably. There are people doing it today. With the current state of UK supply chain issues, I'd say doing a Coronation or Silver Jubilee set makes less sense than using those production slots for higher volume items.

Clearly these aren't for BLTs. They only make sense on club or big roundy roundy layouts - even at 5 car lengths, but they have 'wow' factor in spades.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Nice thought though....

Come on Rob,unlike you to display pessimism.Why should it NOT happen? Consider this....Bachmann initially shied away from the Blue Pullman.Did anyone remotely consider that we would ever have a B.G..?...yet Hattons and Heljan are now rapidly selling them successfully.The Pullman retailed at £250 plus and I don't need to remind you that the BG sets you back £200 a go.Some of us have made made multiple purchases of these giants...as you have yourself....and why not indeed ?

Last week,Rapido Trains and Locomotion Models NRM unveiled theAPT -E.No shortage of take up,it seems for this iconic masterpiece.We are talking of investments of several hundreds of pounds with all of the above.....and they are long models and enthusiasts will run them on their layouts...as I do with my Blue Pullman.

Pre war express trains were the pinnacle of the romance of the railway .In many ways,the LNER streamliners represent the supreme achievement of British engineering.Fitting then,I believe,that,near the cradle of railway development in the North East,the Shildon team should have a crack at the Silver Jubilee...it'll only cost a couple of BG's ,Rob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Nice thought though....

Take this into consideration Golden Age Models charge approx £325 per coach for their Pullmans, that makes £500 for 7 or 8 coaches look very cheap indeed and people would pay that.

• RMweb Gold

Hornby already have a 'SilverJubilee' set albeit Railroad with Silver Coaches.

Oh dear....suitable for my eight year old grandson but even he has better taste than that,I think,as he sometimes operates grandpa's layout with cool judgement.

That set is a car crash of major proportions....an abomination,in truth...So sorry.NOT big boys toys !

• Like 1

I know of someone putting together a pack of info to develop a coach from the coronation set as a knock down kit (so almost RTR). The intention is that if the prototype 3D print could form the basis of an injection moulded coach in an absolute minimum of parts.

If successful it would lead to developing other coaches in the set and probably lead to the Silver Jubilee coaches too. At this stage there's nothing to report because it's very early days. Don't ask who is developing it because I won't answer.

My question to A4 owners is, would you buy models of these articulated coaches if the shape was right and the running good, but the physical detail was more akin to the style of moulding on the latest railroad Mk1s? The idea being that if you want more detail you'll add it, the basic shape and dimensions being more important.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I know of someone putting together a pack of info to develop a coach from the coronation set as a knock down kit (so almost RTR). The intention is that if the prototype 3D print could form the basis of an injection moulded coach in an absolute minimum of parts.

If successful it would lead to developing other coaches in the set and probably lead to the Silver Jubilee coaches too. At this stage there's nothing to report because it's very early days. Don't ask who is developing it because I won't answer.

My question to A4 owners is, would you buy models of these articulated coaches if the shape was right and the running good, but the physical detail was more akin to the style of moulding on the latest railroad Mk1s? The idea being that if you want more detail you'll add it, the basic shape and dimensions being more important.

Something is always better than nothing. If the basic shape and dimensions are right, it runs properly and it looks like the stock in question then that's the most important basis. I can super detail if I wish. 

• Like 1

Three letters Simon. YES!

I think that this is an excellent idea by the person behind the idea, as it can help keep costs down for those of us who want a train to run that is 95% accurate, and allow the other 5% worth of detailing to be left up to the owner. I will be interested to see how the Beavertail is done, and as long as it has the correct rear window shape, that'll be one very satisfied Australian customer.

Edited by 69843

Definitely yes!

Simon re Coronation Coaches

This deserves a thread of its own here and on LNER Forum, as many may not read the info here.

Yes please, they cannot be as bad as the Mailcoach version !!

Hi Mick,

I know the chap in question he will put it out there for debate when he's ready. I will check details today before posting a thread.

I thought it was worth sharing as it's clear the demand for certain LNER coaches is there. It's a toe in the water I believe and why not, it's initially being developed for personal use and potentially for the open market.

• Like 1

I have three of the so-called railroad latest Hornby BR Mk1s and they are superb models to my eye, so anything approaching that quality (and near that price) would be remarkable and I would buy a set.

I agree with Ian that the Silver Jubilee and Coronation trains represent the pinnacle of steam glamour and engineering days, and as such perhaps the market would be better than I first suggested. The R&D and tooling up might be a bit daunting though.

Rob

• Like 3

Which are old Stanier coaches painted LNER silver. HIDEOUS!!! 

When I saw the "Silver Jubilee" trainset, it reminded me of the very old Triang "Princess Elizabeth" sets with the 6" coaches......  :jester:

Lovely work on that apple green A4 Mick. Don't understand Hornby's reluctance for that livery - it's LNER liveried, named and fits in with their other grouping era LNER models as well. Put it in a coach pack with some of their top of the range teaks and it's a good'un.

Disappointed that Hornby are releasing two Railroad variant A4s in virtually the same livery - why not put one of those A4s in garter blue minus the valances or another dark green one but with a single chimney? Lack of imagination there I think. Still, can't grumble too much - the Hornby A4 is the standard for RTR.

Three letters Simon. YES!

I think that this is an excellent idea by the person behind the idea, as it can help keep costs down for those of us who want a train to run that is 95% accurate, and allow the other 5% worth of detailing to be left up to the owner. I will be interested to see how the Beavertail is done, and as long as it has the correct rear window shape, that'll be one very satisfied Australian customer.

Hi Mick,

I know the chap in question he will put it out there for debate when he's ready. I will check details today before posting a thread.

I thought it was worth sharing as it's clear the demand for certain LNER coaches is there. It's a toe in the water I believe and why not, it's initially being developed for personal use and potentially for the open market.

Simon, 

I can't say I'd be interested in a full rake but sets from the cornation and west riding  were cascaded to other services - so count me in!

Golden Eagle and Kingfisher got their green liveries at more or less the same time.

Kingfisher left the works four days after Golden Eagle.

You can understand LNER experimenting a little bit. But when you see the graceful parabolic curve of Golden Eagle lined up against the blunt finish of Kingfisher, what possessed them to paint 4 more locos like the later?

Having said that, I think both models look fantastic and I would love to have one of each. Even if Kingfisher doesn't look as sleek as Golden Eagle, I'd like to have a model of the A4 in all it's various liveries.

Hornby produced the Great Gathering and Great Goodbye locos in separate batches of 500 locos each. If they produced both the green locos in batches of 500, I'm sure they would sell.

Just out of interest Mick, I've seen your model of 4490 on the LNER forum. Where did you get the crests from? Are they transfers or etched plates?

If Hornby or a commissioning agent are to do an Apple Green A4, it will have to be Golden Eagle. This was the nicest of the Apple Green locos, and if people want the non-parabolic varients they can wack on some black paint easier than doing the reverse. The non-parabolic green locos might be much more of a risk.

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 1

Coronation Crests are by Fox Transfers.

The reason the first Apple Green Locos had the Black painted back to the first boiler band was due to the fact that they believed the Apple Green paint wouldnt stand up the high temperatures in the Smokebox area. When the problem did not occur the others had the parabolic curve instead.

I have a couple of the GBL A4 bodies , they will be done in Apple Green to complete the set in due course.

• Like 2

Coronation Crests are by Fox Transfers.

The reason the first Apple Green Locos had the Black painted back to the first boiler band was due to the fact that they believed the Apple Green paint wouldnt stand up the high temperatures in the Smokebox area. When the problem did not occur the others had the parabolic curve instead.

I have a couple of the GBL A4 bodies , they will be done in Apple Green to complete the set in due course.

That makes sense.

But I wonder why they were worried about the apple green but not the silver grey on the original locos?

Maybe the lighter colour is less likely to fade/discolour?

In fact six months earlier the smoke box on 2003 Lord President, which was the first P2 with the A4 style smoke box, had been painted much like Golden Eagle.

Are the crests etched plates or transfers?

Edited by Mike70