How Many Hornby A4's Have You Got

Mike70

Looking at the pic on Kernow's webpage, the numberplate and lamp iron are in the right place, the corridor tender window is correctly fixed to the outside of the tender body.

Basically the key issues in the Great Gathering/Goodbye models appear to have been corrected. Great, but why oh why weren't they got right on the Goodbye set after being highlighted on emergence of the Gathering.

Makes it clear that REF can produce good models, but someone at either Refined or Hornby chose not to bother on the celebratory models.

Annoyed (if you can't tell) but pleased that Hornby seem back on track.

Doubtless my Goodbye models will be sold if/when the appropriate models start to appear as standard (correct) releases.

I'm almost tempted to get Bittern to renumber as 60009...

I only have the one.  "Andrew K McCosh" purchased I think in 2007 new from Rails of Sheffield without a box (split from a Hornby train pack) - I think I paid the princely sum of £75 or so - could not resist.  Poor quality pic attached below.

post-1115-0-50241800-1416519611_thumb.jpg

It has the drop in electrical contacts tender coupling and runs like a dream.

Regards,

Brian.

I tried posting using my fone but dont think it worked so hopefully second time lucky.

I am contemplating making up an A4 using a spare set of bodies and chassis.

The name and number are to be a make believe name and number, a fictional haymarket loco. The name and number are to be 60000 Buzzard

Is it any good! hopefully the quality will be better than some of the great gathering models

Fit and finish are back to standards we were used to, engine and tender have plug and socket electrical connection. Second tender body is good with wire handrails, but the chassis is the old tender drive unit (minus motor naturally!)

As G-BOAF notes above, the front number plate and lamp irons are in the correct place, but its not made by REF, the little label says SK!

This is annoying, and does not mean that REF can produce a decent A4!!! So the tooling was shipped back from REF to SK???

(somewhere it was previously discussed that looking at the inside of the body shells, the signature unfinished areas of the tool were identical, dispelling the idea of two copies of the tool... but I can't recall where).

Edited by G-BOAF

• RMweb Gold

This is annoying, and does not mean that REF can produce a decent A4!!! So the tooling was shipped back from REF to SK???

(somewhere it was previously discussed that looking at the inside of the body shells, the signature unfinished areas of the tool were identical, dispelling the idea of two copies of the tool... but I can't recall where).

If a new mould were produced by certain methods (e.g spark erosion) using the same CAD file as the original or a new file from a laser scan of the existing model, it would copy any random marks on the inside just as faithfully as the features on the outside.

John

I was under the belief that the marks on the inside of the body were down to the lower level of finish of the tool, and as such reprasented a unique 'signature' of each tool.

Also, how (aside from the Great British Locomotive Series maybe) would contemplate laser scanning a model; any error in the sample scanned would be replicated. Would be pretty poor reverse engineering to do it that way. If copies were made, I'd hope they were made from the original CADs. In which case why didn't they go to the trouble of correcting a few minor details, namely introducing a slight curve accross the face of the cods mouth door.

• RMweb Premium

Just the two, Golden Plover and, as of yesterday, Bittern with twin tenders

G_Plover Bittern.JPG

What is the second tender like? Is it the same as the one attached to the twin tender Flyong Scotsman some years ago, with (motor less) tender motored chassis, big couplings etc, or is it a more refined version?

Many thanks,

Andrew

• RMweb Premium

From kernows pics it looks to be the old second tender with big coupling on inner end and an articulated 4th axle. Disappointing but I wouldn't expect them to re tool a new tender for 5 figures just for use on a couple of locos.

What is the second tender like? Is it the same as the one attached to the twin tender Flyong Scotsman some years ago, with (motor less) tender motored chassis, big couplings etc, or is it a more refined version?

Many thanks,

Andrew

Andrew, It is the same as the Flying Scotsman one, the couplings are horrible and that is very annoying. Hornby advertised this as having NEM couplings and as I run Kadee's I assumed that would be an easy swap. But no the only NEM coupling is on the first tender. So not very happy about that at all

Andrew, It is the same as the Flying Scotsman one, the couplings are horrible and that is very annoying. Hornby advertised this as having NEM couplings and as I run Kadee's I assumed that would be an easy swap. But no the only NEM coupling is on the first tender. So not very happy about that at all

Perhaps now hearing these comments I'm not so annoyed in having my pre-order cancelled....

Did people really expect a new water tender? The USA scotsman used this tender, and was sold as 'top of the range' with the Pullman Observation Car.

As I have recently posted in another thread, the water tender reprasents the original scotsman 1928 corridor tender conversion, which is not correct for the vehicle as it is now (post rebuild a Southall). All the mock ups for this model indicated that it was the original water tender.

This said it wouldn't be beyond the realms of doable to stick on some NEM pockets and snip off the over-sized loops.

Then again, given that people seem happy having an HST without NEM and close coupling arrangements, sadly the majority of purchasers probably won't be too bothered. It is strange that the tender drive chassis is still in production for this model. My guess is that this is the last hurrah for the tooling given that the railroad A4 now ues the superdetail tender chassis, so in many respects this water tender could be something of a historical collectors piece!

Personally, I won't run corridor stock without close coupling fitted, as it looks silly. Sadly this means I can't buy Hornby's new Mk1 coaches, any of their new Mk2 and Mk3 vehicles...

If ?? the current railroad tender uses a super detail chassis just buy a replacement chassis for about a fiver . I have not seen anything that suggests that is correct. The tender drive version will not fit the superdeatail body and vice versa. Zero logic on Hornby retooling the prehistoric tender drive body just to be able use the other tender chassis. 

My R3103 Bittern just arrived from Kernow, it looks great despite the use of the old chassis on the water tender. Running quality is supect though as it waddles like a duck instead of strutting along like a heron - must be the runt of the litter! No chance of changing though as it is now sold out, will have to investigate the problem when I get a chance.

• RMweb Gold

My R3103 Bittern just arrived from Kernow, it looks great despite the use of the old chassis on the water tender. Running quality is supect though as it waddles like a duck instead of strutting along like a heron - must be the runt of the litter! No chance of changing though as it is now sold out, will have to investigate the problem when I get a chance.

That sounds like it might benefit from a gear assembly replacement.