How Many Hornby A4's Have You Got

Mike70

• 11 months later...

And another Purple A4 brings my collection to three A4s in total... 

It's interesting to compare 60028 with the earlier 60027 (Limited edition from 2008). The shade of purple appears to be slightly more, well, purple and has a matt finish over the more satin finish on 60027. That said the neither looks offensive towards the other and they sit nicely together. I did note Hornby has corrected the lining application on 60028 too. A fine addition, I feel! 

IMG_20191105_140906.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Err, sorry gents, none whatsoever. Despite being some fancy Eastern things, I'm afraid that Gresley Pacifics don't 'do it' for me.  It's real life as well. every time I go east of the M1, I feel all 'dead'. It's not a joke, and I don't know why. That said, if it wasn't for Gresley, we wouldn't see things like Bulleid pacifics, or the Duke of Gloucester; some of the finest steam locomotives ever put onto the Standard gauge. 

Having posted this, I'm going to hide under the stairs...

Ian.

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

23 minutes ago, jamesC37LG said:

Renamed from 'Sea Eagle' in October 1947 after the then chairman of the LNER board. 

I think I'd prefer 'Sea Eagle', but in that pretty blue/purple TBH

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for just parachuting in with one comment and question. I have 1 A4; a Railroad BR Green Mallard.

It only needs to appear once in a blue moon on my SR layout on an enthusiasts' special in 1963. Can I ask what I can do to it to make it a little more authentic (I know it needs plaques on the boiler sides and lamp irons and decent couplings.....and please, don't say scrapping!). It would be good to know where to get the 'extras' as well if anyone has done the deed to one of these. PM me if you would prefer not to take up space here.

(I got it because it was dirt cheap, DCC fitted and runs beautifully).

Many thanks,

Phil.

Errrr ...... I'll add my 'none' to the list too, unless you'll accept a re-wheeled, fully valanced, horse-shoe magnet powered ex 3-rail 'Sir Nigel Gresley' as a pukka Hornby  A4.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Apologies for just parachuting in with one comment and question. I have 1 A4; a Railroad BR Green Mallard.

It only needs to appear once in a blue moon on my SR layout on an enthusiasts' special in 1963. Can I ask what I can do to it to make it a little more authentic (I know it needs plaques on the boiler sides and lamp irons and decent couplings.....and please, don't say scrapping!). It would be good to know where to get the 'extras' as well if anyone has done the deed to one of these. PM me if you would prefer not to take up space here.

(I got it because it was dirt cheap, DCC fitted and runs beautifully).

Many thanks,

Phil.

I have done a few things to my LNER blue versions with the same spec as the one you are asking about. I paint a few details on the bulkhead copying a super detail one. I have glazed the open windows, with micro crystal clear in the front windows and clear sheet salvaged from packaging for one of the 2 cab side windows? I have represented the wooden surround for those with brown permanent maker on the clear sheet before installing. I got some lovely cab side window etches from Morgan Gilbert here on rmweb. I also make a fall plate as the railroad A4s I have seen don't come with one. I have found some garden leaf bags come with plastic strapping that looks a bit like the diagonal cross hatch pattern once painted black. I have seen a similar material on some other packaging.

For the tenders I don't like the molded coal and the bodies are too wide compared to the super detail ones I run them with. They are a legacy from housing tender drive mechanisms. On some I have cut out the molded coal and reduced the tender width. But you can also find spare tenders on eBay sometimes.  You could use either a corridor or a stream-lined corridor tender for Mallard in BR green as it ran with both. I also replace the valve gear with a super detail spare if you can find them in stock any where. They are a direct fit.

Have fun with any of the changes you decide to make. It will look a little bit better with each one  you decide to do :-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Dominion said:

I have done a few things to my LNER blue versions with the same spec as the one you are asking about. I paint a few details on the bulkhead copying a super detail one. I have glazed the open windows, with micro crystal clear in the front windows and clear sheet salvaged from packaging for one of the 2 cab side windows? I have represented the wooden surround for those with brown permanent maker on the clear sheet before installing. I got some lovely cab side window etches from Morgan Gilbert here on rmweb. I also make a fall plate as the railroad A4s I have seen don't come with one. I have found some garden leaf bags come with plastic strapping that looks a bit like the diagonal cross hatch pattern once painted black. I have seen a similar material on some other packaging.

For the tenders I don't like the molded coal and the bodies are too wide compared to the super detail ones I run them with. They are a legacy from housing tender drive mechanisms. On some I have cut out the molded coal and reduced the tender width. But you can also find spare tenders on eBay sometimes.  You could use either a corridor or a stream-lined corridor tender for Mallard in BR green as it ran with both. I also replace the valve gear with a super detail spare if you can find them in stock any where. They are a direct fit.

Have fun with any of the changes you decide to make. It will look a little bit better with each one  you decide to do :-)

Cheers Dominion. It isn't that necessary for it to look perfect, just like an A4, bulled up for the special, passing Seaton Junction for less than ten seconds and looking a bit more like Mallard did in February 1963. It isn't going to be seen except for me and friends in a gloomy loft and so I just need to 'satisfy' my own eye and I won't notice tender widths or clunky valve gear and the plastic coal will go anyway as it had run for three hours down the WOEML! I had forgotten about the Krystal for the windows though; thanks. I reckon decent whistle, detail the front end, lamp irons, AWS plate, decent coupling, pipes and those side Plaques. I'll dig out the pic of it emerging from Honiton Tunnel, west end and use that for my visual guide.

12 hours ago, Philou said:

Errrr ...... I'll add my 'none' to the list too, unless you'll accept a re-wheeled, fully valanced, horse-shoe magnet powered ex 3-rail 'Sir Nigel Gresley' as a pukka Hornby  A4.

Cheers,

Philip

Was this meant for me buddy or the thread generally?  I think you are suggesting that Hornby A4s aren't much cop? I wouldn't really know as I don't study them. Ta!

P

@Mallard60022

Oh no, it was just a general comment regarding the thread as I don't 'do' LNER - I'm mainly GWR/BR(W) with a bit of LNWR/LMS. I do have two H/D A4s (old three rail versions) and just wondered if they'd be included in the survey, tho' they're very crude compared to the modern Hornby versions.

Cheers,

Philip

·       EDL1: LNER 7 Sir Nigel Gresley

·       EDL11: British Railways 60016 Silver King

·       2211: British Railways 60030 Golden Fleece

.       R099: LNER 2512 A4 Silver Fox

·       R309: British Railways 60022 A4 Mallard

P1130696.JPG.1464a765afa40a3d9b47d2c5df0d32a6.JPGP1130730.JPG.67ab24d2c449e85c207db5dbe53d1d38.JPGP1130660.JPG.5fc8c6617920f7405d65abf0a5c40e55.JPGP1130722.JPG.4f8fdf6ca90a580fae364f1dd1ec0b4b.JPGP1130686.JPG.507db37895c2bae695d2979d1d3f4554.JPG

And then some more from other makers and in other gauges. All to be seen with many pictures in this free to download e-book:

http://sncf231e.nl/lner-pacifics-and-nyc-hudsons/

Regards

Fred

• Like 2

Umm, I think I am glutton for punishment... I have 6 Hornby A4's but why the punishment.... I have now 3 finney A4 kits... that's years of modelling to put them together... the next problem is I also have 2x A3's, a A1and 2 V2's to do as well. I have the some of the first V2's put together! Umm I guess the I enjoy building Gresley locos! 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, scumcat said:

I think Hornby will retool the A4 within the next two years and start it all over again. Simon loves an A4

Really?

Looking a the Rebuilt W1 test shots, I can't see much of a step up in terms of detail. Plus there really isn't much wrong with the current A4 except for the lack of the camber on the nose front.

What they do need to do is redo the cab roof tool - the rain strips and rear edge of the roof are very worn/damaged.

• 1 year later...

To answer the question, 

I have currently 2 A4's in my possession both Kings Cross Locomotives in March - May 1938 Condition. Being 2510 QUICKSILVER ( From the 80th Anniversary Quartet) and 4489 DOMINION OF CANADA ( From the Great Goodbye Set) I have just bought a 3rd A4 4491 Commonwealth of Australia, with the intention to turn the Loco into her sister 4492 Dominion of New Zealand also a Kings Cross A4 as of March 1938. 

Interestingly the reason for the time is due to 2510 being sent for a general overhaul and re-painting into LNER Garter Blue, while 4489 was not fitted with her bell until March 1938. Setting the period for these loco's. 

Finally worth of note is my Streamlined LNER P2 No.2003 which is a modified P2 with the Gr King Resin front end. Plan is to order the Hornby 2003 so she can sit with the W1 No.10000 and the 3 A4's proudly where all the liveries match, more importantly for me. I think, I will have all the LNER A4 fitted Tender types (1928 Corridor, 1935 Streamlined Corridor & Streamlined Non Corridor) 

Thanks 

Tom

IMG_2899.JPG

• Like 3

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Someone else did a very nice job of renumbering this to become Dominion of New Zealand before I got my mitts on it.

Today I got around to representing the roller bearings that 4492 received in 1938.

What you see are the heads of picture hanging hook nails as the real roller bearing covers seemed to have a domed shape to them.

Initially I could only find 3 nails the same, but after rehanging a picture frame, I now have 4.

Whether I have 4 more the same as each other in the house somewhere for the other side remains to be seen :-) 

IMG_3874.jpg

• Like 6