How Many Hornby A4's Have You Got

Mike70

• RMweb Gold

I remember those Ian. However, wasn't they renumbers off the Merlin model, rather than a full repaint?

Yes,there were a couple of renames on the Hornby experimental blue ...to me nearer to purple....but then,colour is a subjective thing.Occasionally,one comes up on e-bay. Vile colour...but a good model.Mine could do with a decent weathering.

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps a niche here for a retailer to commission a 'special'.........used to happen with Modelfair doing a couple in experimental blue...but probably things are a bit too fragile for this now.

Would be great but I think I read somewhere that a Hornby Limited Edition commission is 1,000 units. That's a lot for most places to take on in the current climate I would imagine.

Two.

No.22 Mallard in LNER Black with small number. (Main period for my railway)

No.4902 Seagull - Garter Blue with valances.  (Earlier period - to give some colour!)

Future Project

Sir Nigel in postwar LNER Blue with stainless steel lettering. May use a GBL body with the valances cut away and a single chimney.

May also use a Bachmann corridor tender I re-worked some years ago. (Must check the width though!)

We acquired one for Ormesby Hall over last winter.  It was disappointing until I removed the spring from inside the chassis above the rear driving axle.  Now goes like the wind with 11 kit built coaches behind it.  My Capercaillie is mechanically the same and it goes frighteningly fast - 185 scale mph on the Pilmoor layout last year.

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into it! I think I still intend to sell the loco, but it would be good to get some nostalgic running in before I do so! However, to my eyes, the old A4 is OK, so I may yet still keep it and convert it to Bittern as it is at the moment when I get round to dabbling in modification of locos.

I've got five of them at the moment.  1 grey (Quciksilver), 2 garter blue (Mallard and CofA), 1 experimental blue (Merlin) and 1 BR express blue (Sparrowhawk).

In the future I'd like to get my hands on a wartime black, an apple green and a garter blue without valances (post war version like mickliners in reply 52).

Would be great but I think I read somewhere that a Hornby Limited Edition commission is 1,000 units. That's a lot for most places to take on in the current climate I would imagine.

I thought there would have been the demand for it.  A lot of people on here seem to want one.

But your, right it's not ideal in the current climate.

• RMweb Gold

Just curious.

Some people hate them, but a lot of people love them.

None, but I have got 26 Bulleid Pacifics!

I will get one if they ever do 'Kingfisher' in 1960s condition so I can run it with my green coaches!

John

Two of my A4's are the beginnings of GBL bashes. One is to be 4483 'Kingfisher' in apple green with full black smokebox on the LHS, and parabolic curve on he RHS. I may be looking to contract out the numbering and lining, if not the entire paintjob. I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction for this.

The latter of the two is to be 60008 as preserved.

The six pure Hornby examples are;

2509 in early 1938 condition (Silver Jubilee 75th edition)

4464 in 2012 condition - lacking the oversize hatches and smokebox hatches (Converted 4483 Kingfisher)

4468 in 1988 condition on the LHS and 2013 condition on the RHS (Regular edition)

4489 in 2013 condition (2013 GG)

60007 in 2012 condition - remotored and still requiring a few pre-delivery cosmetic fixes (Converted 60024 Kingfisher)

60009 in 2004 condition - Loco fully detailed, requires tender swap to 1928 pattern corridor tender, but i'm not particularly bothered (Commonwealth collection edition with 1935 pattern streamlined corridor tender)

Further plans include 60017 in BTP film condition, 60026 'Miles Beevor' in end of steam condition and No.34 'Peregrine' in post war, pre 1948 condition. That should be me done with A4's by then, which will allow me to move on to B1's. Presently looking at 61002, 61005, 61034, 61264, 61244 and 61306 (all Hornby early BR lined black bar 61306 which will be Bachmann late BR lined black)

Edited by 60800
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
None, but I have got 26 Bulleid Pacifics!

I will get one if they ever do 'Kingfisher' in 1960s condition so I can run it with my green coaches!

John[/quote

You are obviously a man of impeccable taste....not a case of 'too many spams',I'm sure.Toboldlygo of this forum has reached his goal of the magic 110.....I have lost count of mine but it isn' t far short of 25!

To return to the thread,I got someone to renumber a donor loco as 60024,complete with brass plates and ' bird ' plates on body sides.You might consider that as an option if you can source one.They are becoming difficult to source at a sensible price.

I have 11

2509 Silver Link (Ltd Ed)

2512 Silver Fox (ltd ed train pack)

4903 Peregrine (Ex Mallard and weathered by TMC)

60011 Empire of India (ltd edition commonwealth collection)

60027 Merlin Ltd Edition in Experimental Purple

60009 Union of South Africa by TMC

60008 Dwight D Eisonhower Great Gathering Ltd Ed

4489 Dominion of Canada Great Gathering Ltd Ed

4468 Mallard Great Gathering Ltd Ed

4464 Bittern Great Gathering Ltd Ed

60007 Sir Nigel Gresley Great Gathering Ltd Ed

They are all the Hornby china fine detail newer type models (i.e. not railroad versions)

• Like 3

No apple green version currently available in loco driven ( post 2004 ) model....nor ever has been,I'm afraid.

I would duly kill for a super detail Apple Green Hornby version. They looked stunning in apple green. Mick's model above is testament to that.

Has Hornby ever done a LNER apple green A4, even with a tender drive? If so what and when?

Were the Bachmann A4s tender drive? I know they did Golden Eagle in LNER green. Were all the A4s built in Doncaster?

Edited by Ozexpatriate

There is some information earlier in this thread. Hornby produced a tender driven R313 Golden Eagle in LNER apple green livery which I thought was let down by the simplified lining from 1990-1991. Simon Kohler said that this did not sell well. Hornby has not produced a locomotive driven one. Bachmann produced a model of the same prototype in 1997 which is surprising if the Hornby version did not sell well. Perhaps there was more demand for a locomotive driven apple green A4 with proper lining.

I have got 2 Hornby-Dublo A4s, 2 Wrenn A4s and 6 Hornby A4s. I have ordered Golden Shuttle. I don't know why I have got so many as I am modelling the Swanage Railway and Bittern is the only A4 that has run on that line. I sold my Hornby-Dublo Mallard about 40 years ago after having it converted to 2 rail by Jones Bros. of Chiswick.

post-1656-0-23765200-1404425836.jpg

I've just about finished Silver Fox's front end with a coupling (standard Hornby affair) and some lamp irons from etches Peter Harvey designed for me back in 2012. 

post-1656-0-81917900-1404425834.jpg

A comparison with my second Bachmann/GBL hybrid, which shows how much effort goes into modifying one of these to look like the one on the right. I suspect the colour of the second won't match the first one and will probably be a darker blue. I am still experimenting, and it's all a learning curve. But very much enjoying the A4 journey at present. The second A4 will become no.8 Dwight D. Eisenhower.

• Like 2

Simon, do you have any spare smokebox hatch etches? I could do with a pair for my Bittern to round her off.

Nice work on No.8 - I'm retaining as many of the original GBL fittings as I can, including the buffers and handrails which will be heavily modified. Are you using Bachmann chassis for both? There's a pronounced 'step' between the two cods mouth doors. I'm not entirely sure if all my sanding and re-scribing of that area was worth it now just to remove the step.

Edited by 60800

I'm afraid I am sold out of etch 2 at present. Waiting on Peter Harvey at present before restocking any of my A4 etches.

It is the Bachmann chassis under both models however I don't know if I will use the Bachmann chassis in future. I am also working on a Railroad A4 based conversion which has some advantages, and some disadvantages. We will see how they come out I guess and reevaluate.

Thanks for the comments on an Apple green LNER, I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed on one appearing in the range or as a limited edition sometime.