Paint Sources

Given that in Australia it is now impossible to get either Phoenix or Railmatch paints (at least I could not find a source) I was wondering whether people had any equivelants in ranges of paints which are available here; Vallajo, Humbrol, and to a lesser extent Tamiya.

Colours I am personally after are those for the GWR and GCR for locos, carriages and wagons for the period 1912-1913 which is what all my rolling stock is being tailoured for.

• 2 weeks later...

For GCR wagons I have recently switched to Humbrol Matt 27 as the principal colour. I'm not saying it's right, I'm not even sure there is a right. I am of that persuasion that tries never to paint two wagons in quite the same shade of grey.

It is perhaps worth mentioning that GCR fish wagons were at one point brown with yellow lettering, but later grey as per ordinary wagons. No one seems to be sure when the change took place. So you could have a mix of both. 

Very useful, I think for GWR Lake I would be looking for something a little darker than theshade used by the Midland. Was the brown used in all Brown coaches actually the same shade asused in the Chocolateand Creams? My layout is going to bearound 1912-1913 so a mixture of coach colour schemes is certaintly possible.

Yes, the brown does appear to have been the same colour as used before. In some photos it looks a little lighter though I suspect this is more a matter of film/print exposure and the lack of black on the mouldings. Otherwise, post-war survivors sometimes appear a little faded compared with stock that had been recently painted in chocolate and cream.

Nick

Archived