Multi Purpose Diesel [MPD] build.

kirley

Colm Flanagan's MPD's, (as seen on the Bleach Green Layout) was the inspiration for me to have a go at modelling this important part of our local transport history. However an evening with Colm quickly dispelled any thought that this would be a straightforward build.  His well made point that, "nearly each one was different" was borne out after studying the UTA drawings, kindly made available by 33Lima on this Site.

I followed Colm's suggestion of using a Bachmann Mk1 Suburban coach to model No. 46 as the easiest one to do. Just block out some windows, add sliding doors and a Cab.   

post-12350-0-83568200-1404227989_thumb.jpg

I also used the Bachmann for a MPD Trailer No. 543

post-12350-0-98269700-1404228025_thumb.jpg

Power is provided by Black Beetle motors and I had a problem in trying to fit them into the Bachmann and Lima underframes. It resulted in cutting the Lima underframe to fit the Black Beetles but in the case of the Bachmann a Comet underframe was used.

post-12350-0-05418600-1404228061_thumb.jpg

Lima donors were used to produce the No 59 & 60 Power cars. To get the window spacing right involved a serious amount of cut and shutting and the only way I could get my head around it was to number the individual windows/doors etc required.

post-12350-0-34726400-1404228095_thumb.jpg

post-12350-0-56111800-1404228131_thumb.jpg

and this resulted in sides such as these.

post-12350-0-62127300-1404228161_thumb.jpg

Enter Colin Smith, a local modeller, who adapted the cut and shut method to brass.  He introduced me to the world of brass modelling and the use of Comet sides to achieve what was done in the plastic Lima/Bachmann approach.

post-12350-0-89705300-1404228218_thumb.jpg

This is no 42

post-12350-0-48794500-1404228251_thumb.jpg

This is No 36 in the making.

The most complex model to do so far is No 63 which involved the greatest amount of cutting and soldering to get the window/ door ratio right.  I should add this is Colin's work, I just watched and learned.

post-12350-0-94795200-1404228326_thumb.jpg

Still a lot of work to do to get the Cab ends right and the under frame detail but it's getting there.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! MPD Heaven! Especially like the Triang restaurant car conversions, tho a lot of them must have had to give their lives for the cause. You now have type of MPD I don't think anyone else has tackled so well, if at all.

May be wrong, but I don't think the 'suburban' MPDs ever carried a corridor connection, before NIR hacked them into open configuration and they lost most of the slam doors, perhaps Colm can clarify.

Can't wait to see thise finished, great job!

• 5 weeks later...

MPD build continues.

IMG_1086a.jpg

No 65 takes shape along with Buffet Coach from Worsley Works.

IMG_1101a.jpg

Black Beetle motors with side frames and couplings fitted.

IMG_1106a.jpg

Testing the chassis to ensure all run smoothly round my layout by pulling them behind a Loco.

Now to wire in decoders and test under their own power.

• 4 weeks later...

The last time I saw so many MPDs they were real ones! Excellent work, doing justice to a quirky and under-rated but innovative class and a worthy tribute to the resourceful and talented UTA engineers who designed them and to the railwaymen who ran them.

• 4 weeks later...

The end of the MPD build.

There was a time when I thought this day would never come but I've decided to finish here with my MPD build.  I'm not sure if I'll get round to do the interiors but at the moment I'm happy just to be able to run them round my layout.

I did eight models, seven Power Cars and one Trailer.

MPD 36

MPD%20No%2036%20-3x.jpg

MPD 42

MPD%20No%2042x.jpg

MPD 46

MPD%20No%2046%20-3x.jpg

MPD 59

MPD%20No%2059x.jpg

MPD 60

MPD%20No%2060x.jpg

MPD 63

MPD%20No%2063%20-3x.jpg

MPD 65

MPD%20No%2065%20-3x.jpg

MPD Trailer 549

MPD%20No%20549%20Trailerx.jpg

The Collection.

MPD%20collection%20-2x.jpg

A word to thanks to all who helped me and encouraged me, especially Colm Flanagan, Colin Smith and Ivor Hughes.

Ah now, isn't that a sight to warm the very cockles of my heart! Great job. I can see some of the improvements made over the early pics.

May I ask a couple of questions?

I'm having still mulling over how to do this for my current MED build (and intend to do one or more of the MPDs like 59 or 60). Re those those narrower windows: your 59 and 60 started off re-using the narrower passenger windows cut I think from from Lima Mk1 restaurant cars, complete with the usual thick Lima framing. But as completed, you seem to have cut away all the framing and relied instead on overlaid windows, cut slightly larger than the gap and then stuck on with clearfix or whatever, and with the ventilator framing (and the frame around the outer edge of the window) painted individually onto each piece of glazing. Is that how you did it? How did you get the painted-on framing so neat?

Also, how did you do the numbers in a circle. on 36, 46 & 549? I know not all UTA railcars had circled numbers but it would be good to know your mehtod, for those that did.

Anyhow, great work, and thanks for posting all the inspirational pics!!!

Ivor,

"mabex"  do these for numbers up to 100. ( don't have a website but just search for "mabex transfers" and you can send by emails for a catalogue).  This would do fine for MED power cars  and MPDs but not for the trailers. I just used "wrong" ones on mine - no-one has ever noticed to date -just keep 'em moving!

Colm

Ivor,

"mabex"  do these for numbers up to 100. ( don't have a website but just search for "mabex transfers" and you can send by emails for a catalogue).  This would do fine for MED power cars  and MPDs but not for the trailers. I just used "wrong" ones on mine - no-one has ever noticed to date -just keep 'em moving!

Colm

Thanks Colm! I thought they were possibly bus transfers (tho a bus numbered 549 seemed an unusually happy co-incidence!). I still have some (non-ringed) Mabex gold bus numbers and UTA roundels from the 1990s. Didn't realise (or had forgotten) they did ringed numbers, as well!

Ivor

May I ask a couple of questions?

But as completed, you seem to have cut away all the framing and relied instead on overlaid windows, cut slightly larger than the gap and then stuck on with clearfix or whatever, and with the ventilator framing (and the frame around the outer edge of the window) painted individually onto each piece of glazing. Is that how you did it? How did you get the painted-on framing so neat?

Also, how did you do the numbers in a circle. on 36, 46 & 549? I know not all UTA railcars had circled numbers but it would be good to know your mehtod, for those that did.

I had the windows made by Glenderg Models, Dublin. He will custom make windows with surrounds and glazing bars to your specifications.  Originally Railtech were to do the decals but after waiting months with no completion date I ended up with SSM at Limerick.  I'll email you their contact details tonight.

Archived