andytrains

I am planning to build an EM gauge layout of Yoker (65G), in the 1950's.
I am looking for any photos that may exist out there of Yoker depot and the surrounding railway.
I have a few in:-
BR Steam Motive Power Depots, SCR, by Paul Bolger.
&
LMS Engine Sheds, vol 5, Caledonian, by Chris hawkins and George Reeve.

Any information, photos etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Andy.

Edited by andytrains

I am planning to build an EM gauge layout of Yoker (65G), in the 1950's.

I am looking for any photos that may exist out there of Yoker depot and the surrounding railway.

I have a few in:-

BR Steam Motive Power Depots, SCR, by Paul Bolger.

&

LMS Engine Sheds, vol 5, Caledonian, by Chris hawkins and George Reeve.

Any information, photos etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Andy.

Try "The Handbook of Steam Motive Power Depots" Volume 4 Northern England and Scotland, by Paul Smith, there is a three quarter view of the depot on page 33, plus a big scale OS map

Jim

• Like 1

I have now purchased the wood to start building the layout of Yoker.

I am using a combination of 6mm and 4mm ply made up into beams with 20mm spacing blocks between the ply outer layers. I am experimenting today by building one of the 4ft beams to see how strong it actually is, before I go any further.

The layout will only be 11ft long x 1ft 6ins wide, as that is all the room I have. It will consist of two outer 4ft boards and a 3ft board in the middle. (Well that is the plan at the moment). It will be mounted on a shelf above my workbench. I am trying to make it as light as possible, because, 1), It is going to be shelf mounted and 2), for ease of transportation in the event that it ever gets exhibitable.

• 9 months later...

Progress on the layout has been slow, due to other commitments.

The Baseboards for Yoker (65G), are now almost complete. I have only to install the supporting beams for the turntable.

I am presently building one of the Metalsmiths excellent kits for the Cowans Sheldon 60ft turntable. (http://www.metalsmith.co.uk).

Luckily that was the exact one that was located at Yoker.

Once I have the tuntable installed I can start laying track.

I have managed to find a few more photos of the depot so I think I am almost there with them for the details of building etc at the depot.

Andy.

Guest Max Stafford

Looking forward to seeing this one develop, Andy. The L&D is a fascinating system, currently being extensively covered in 'The True Line'

Dave.

• 2 months later...

As I said the boards are built.

(Progress is still slow due to other commitments, decorating, holidays etc).

As you view the layout from the front the fiddle yard is on the left. There will be a road bridge carrying Dyke Road across the railway. Then turnouts to the turntable at the front and coaling stage behind. The lines re-join and then go to the two road shed. There will be a couple of sidings behind the coaling stage for coal wagons and the S&T dept. The Turntable well is now completed and installed on the middle board. I have also built the pits for the engine shed roads and the ash pit in front of the ramp for the coaling stage.

I have now acquired a couple more photos of the shed which give me bits of detail, but a lot of the full details of some of the buildings is scant.

i.e. Concrete, pre-fabricated LMS builings, (there are two of them, the Mess Hut and the S&T dept), where do I get more info on them from?

I have attached some pics of the turntable,prior to installation, pits and coaling stage roads, prior to track being laid.

(44331 is on the turntable. I had her running at Dartford last weekend on Clatterford and she ran beautifully all weekend. (Airfix body, Percy chassis, Gibson Wheels, DS10).

DSCF2805.JPG

Edited by andytrains
  • Like 4

As I said the boards are built.

(Progress is still slow due to other commitments, decorating, holidays etc).

As you view the layout from the front the fiddle yard is on the left. There will be a road bridge carrying Dyke Road across the railway. Then turnouts to the turntable at the front and coaling stage behind. The lines re-join and then go to the two road shed. There will be a couple of sidings behind the coaling stage for coal wagons and the S&T dept. The Turntable well is now completed and installed on the middle board. I have also built the pits for the engine shed roads and the ash pit in front of the ramp for the coaling stage.

I have now acquired a couple more photos of the shed which give me bits of detail, but a lot of the full details of some of the buildings is scant.

i.e. Concrete, pre-fabricated LMS builings, (there are two of them, the Mess Hut and the S&T dept), where do I get more info on them from?

I have attached some pics of the turntable,prior to installation, pits and coaling stage roads, prior to track being laid.

(4331 is on the turntable. I had her running at Dartfort last weekend on Clat4terford and she ran beautifully all weekend. (Airfix body, Percy chassis, Gibson Wheels, D Like the turntable we have an O gauge version on our club layout its a fine kit. chris

I know this is of no use to you but I have spent a happy hours in my younger years leaning over the bridges at Yoker. From memory, and this is going back to the mid 1950s, there was not a lot of railway buildings there. Mess huts and old coach, and some pigeon lofts at the Langholm Street side, but I cannot think of anything else. I preferred leaning over the bridge to watch the ex LNER sidings! The only signal box was between the LNER sidings and their suburban lines. I should point out that Langholm Street was bandit country, especially for a lad from Knightswood!

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

173099245_56161Finished.jpg.d20cea472345b8efb7af10eb9c59897e.jpgDSCF2504.JPG.8b1ae63e3ce2afeba7514c491d83d72a.JPG
The turntable is in situ and working. This is the excellent Metalsmiths 60ft Cowans Sheldon.
The first loco ran from the fiddle yard onto the first piece of track laid. This was 47536 a Polmadie based Scottish Jinty. She is a Bachmann model with Ultrascale conversion wheelsets and Brassmasters detailing.
Here are some photos of the progress including some photos of Bettlecrusher, 56161, a Caley Coaches kit, that I had built for me by John Brighton. (My retirement present):-

Edited by andytrains
  • Like 7

• 1 year later...

Update on Yoker MPD. This is the description I have put on the EM gauge society website:-

This is an engine shed layout based on Yoker Locomotive Depot, coded 65G in the BR period, 1948-1962.

Yoker shed was located on the north side of the river Clyde to the West of Glasgow.

The shed supplied small shunting locos for the docks, including Ex-Caledonian, 0-6-0T and 0-4-0ST locos. Yoker also had an allocation of one small 0-6-0 tender loco, an ex-Caledonian Jumbo, for local trip work.

It had an allocation of around 12 steam locos in the 1950's, mainly ex-Caledonian types. However it also had an Ex-Great Eastern/LNER J69, 68551, for a time and an ex-North British 0-4-0ST Pug, with coal cart. Photographs of 68551 exist, with what appears to be 18 inch buffer heads. (Presumably for the tight curves in the dock sidings to prevent buffer locking).

There were also diesel shunters allocated to the shed from the mid 1950's. North British, 0-4-0's, D2733 – D2738 inclusive and English Electric, (Cl 08's, D3387, D3411, D3412, D3413, D3415, D3530 & D3531.

The shed had quite a number of visiting locos, which would come on shed from the nearby docks. They would be turned, hence the 60ft turntable, and the coaled and watered. There was a mess hut for the crew to have their snap/piece, before continuing their journeys with freight trains from the docks.

As of 1st October 2012:-

The baseboards are built from 6mm and 4mm plywood, with double skinned beams along the length and width of the boards.

The turntable pit and deck are built and installed, this is a Cowans Sheldon 60ft made from a Metalsmiths kit. Operation of the turntable is via a Meccano mechanism, hand operated and track alignment by eye, as there are only two tracks to the turntable.

The Inspection and Ash pits are built.

The Ramp for coaling stage is built.

Cassettes and connections for the cassettes from the fiddle yard built. Track laying and turnout building has started.

I have now built the bridge and the embankment at the left hand end of the layout.

The first of the buildings has been started and is the mess hut which was of pre-cast concrete panels. I have used the Ratio Provender hut as the panels in this kit appear to be to the same dimensions as the mess hut. (Plus I picked one, made up, up for nothing and another un-made kit very cheaply).

This is still very much work in progress.

Edited by andytrains
  • Like 8

This looks an interesting project, andytrains. I shall look forward to seeing it develop.

I'd be especially interested to learn how you constructed the turntable, in particular, electrical feeds etc. and to see the workings of the Meccano parts (perhaps I can persuade you to share some photos with us?). Looks great!

Jonte

• 2 weeks later...

I have attached some photos of the turntable. This is made from a Metalsmiths kit. (http://www.metalsmit...ay-products.htm). No connection.

The well and base are made up from squares of MDF boards, 300 x 300mm, these bolt together with spacers in-between. The bottom of the well is made from Plywood sheet which is supplied to form the segmented concave floor of the well. The kit also includes nickel silver rails, slide-on chairs and pins, spacers and screws.

I have used older Meccano gear and worm and newer fittings to operate the turntable. I picked the gear and worm up at an exhibition a few years ago on a 2nd hand stall. I had to scource the operating steel rod from a metal suppliers as all the Meccano rods were not long enough. My layout is only 18 ins wide so I needed a rod of about the same length. Alignment is by eye as I only have four tracks going to it. (Two are to buffer stops). The kit comes with a large MDF wheel and rubber drive band that can be used with their motorising kit.

The walls of the well are plasticard brick rather than the plywood supplied.

The photos are the best I could get and I hope they help.

Electrical connection is through the balancing wheels on the deck through the rails around the edge of the well. The current passes through the balancing wheels of the deck and through to the running rail. The deck is built around a base of copper-clad that is split from one end to end.

DSCF2410.JPG

DSCF1983.JPG

DSCF1984.JPG

DSCF2411.JPG

Edited by andytrains
  • Like 11

Most helpful, andytrains; thank you. Your explanation is both clear and concise and the photographs invaluable. At last I can see how Meccano is used in this way. Very natty. I'm severely tempted to have a bash. Doubt I could build it to this standard though. Fabulous!

Best wishes,

Jonte

When setting up the drive rod the most important thing is to get the worm and gear aligned properly. I did this by setting up the drive rod with only one screw in each of the U shaped brackets that the rod runs through. Once it is all aligned a second screw can be added to secure the brackets in place, so they do not move. The U shaped brackets I used have three or four holes in the longer part that secures to the base, so even if the mechanism has to be removed at some point in the future there are spare holes to securely screw the bracket down.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a plan of Yoker loco shed.

I am going to add a couple of sidings at the rear of the layout, (the bottom of the picture). They were there in real life, although there were more than two, with the main running lines behind them.
The other side of the bridge, Dyke Road, is the fiddle yard which is a cassette type. The longest cassette being 26 ins.
The layout is 11ft long by 18ins wide and it sits on shelving above my work-bench in the spare bedroom.
I am currently building the coaling stage.

Yoker (65G) Plan.jpg

Edited by andytrains
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I have attached a photo of the coaling stage.

It is built from three layers of plasticard laminated together using DL-Limonene. The outer and inner layers are Evergreen planked sheets. I used the planked sheet on the inside as the structure is quite open at the rail entrance/exit and can be seen.

The whole structure, apart for the roof has been painted with two coats of Acrylic matt black and weathering of the planking has been started. Quite a lot more needs to be done to the painted finish to get it right.

I have made the floor inside the coaling stage of a single piece of plasticard, painted to represent a rusty metal finish. I have been told that the floors were either made of, or overlaid with plate metal, presume steel, so the coal carts could be wheeled from the wagon-side to the shute with relative ease.

The supports under the front of the coaling stage are from a mixture of wood strip and plastic strip. The wood is stained using dark oak. Whilst staining the wood some of the stain went onto the plastic supports and I have found that a thin coat, brushed with a fairly stiff brush gives quite a good grain effect on the surface of the plastic.

The beams have been pinned together using 0.9mm brass rod to give strength and to detail the bolt heads on the beams.

The roof is a single sheet of 40th black plasticard with York Modelmaking paper laser-cut slates.

The roof is temporarily in place for the photo. It needs ridge tiles and guttering added.

Also needed to finish, is the coaling mechanism at the front opening, the coal tubs and a light above the front opening.

This coaling stage has been built from the only two photos that I have so far managed to locate for it and plans for a standard, if there was one, Caledonian coaling stage. 

Edited by andytrains
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The coaling stage locates onto the layout as follows:-

There is a slit in the embankment at the rear, where the rear wall locates, down to baseboard level.

The small wall at the front locates into a hole cut in the cork track underlay.

The centre has a brick support that fits onto the higher trackbed.

Some pictures:

Coaling Stage-1.jpg

DSCF2004.JPG

DSCF2005.JPG

DSCF2019.JPG

Edited by andytrains
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Andy

Excellent modelling, I do like the roof tiles by York Modelmaking I was going to use them myself on Haymarket 64B but worked out it was going to cost me around £90.00 to cover the twelve roof sections so I opted to make my own at a cost of about £20.00 instead.

Really looking forward to seeing your layout develope.

Regards

David

David.

Thanks for your comments.

The roof is not a cheap option, but for a small model it is OK and I am very pleased with it. I have yet to get the ridge tiles for the coaling stage and work out the tipping arrangement for the coal 'buckets'. I have been told that the one at Didcot has a steel plate floor, which, when you think of it would make sense as the wheels on the coal buckets are very small and would probably eventually dig into a wooden floor. I presume other coaling stages would be the same, i.e. steel plate floor.

Andy Neil.